Relaying mail through remote server?

Alex Regan
Hi,

I have a user that travels frequently. We have been using
pop-before-smtp, and that's worked well. He now has a Verizon Air
card, and the IP changes faster than the popb4smtp db can keep up
with, so I had to add an entire /24 to mynetworks so he wouldn't have
a problem connecting.

He mentioned that it's now possible to use Outlook to connect to Gmail
and have Google send the mail for him, showing his address in the
"From" field:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/send-mail-from-another-address-without.html

How can I duplicate this using postfix, and without the PITA that is
popb4smtp, so he doesn't have to leave our system, and doesn't think
we're a bunch of inept fools?

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Relaying mail through remote server?

Bill Weiss-5
MySQL Student([hidden email])@Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 07:50:39PM -0400:

> Hi,
>
> I have a user that travels frequently. We have been using
> pop-before-smtp, and that's worked well. He now has a Verizon Air
> card, and the IP changes faster than the popb4smtp db can keep up
> with, so I had to add an entire /24 to mynetworks so he wouldn't have
> a problem connecting.
>
> He mentioned that it's now possible to use Outlook to connect to Gmail
> and have Google send the mail for him, showing his address in the
> "From" field:
>
> http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/send-mail-from-another-address-without.html
>
> How can I duplicate this using postfix, and without the PITA that is
> popb4smtp, so he doesn't have to leave our system, and doesn't think
> we're a bunch of inept fools?

You're looking for authenticated SMTP:
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

Bill Weiss

Re: Relaying mail through remote server?

@lbutlr
On 23-Aug-2009, at 17:50, MySQL Student wrote:
> I have a user that travels frequently. We have been using
> pop-before-smtp, and that's worked well. He now has a Verizon Air
> card, and the IP changes faster than the popb4smtp db can keep up
> with, so I had to add an entire /24 to mynetworks so he wouldn't have
> a problem connecting.

Er... the day I do something like that to work around the asstards at
Verizon is the day someone needs to shoot me in the head.

> How can I duplicate this using postfix, and without the PITA that is
> popb4smtp, so he doesn't have to leave our system, and doesn't think
> we're a bunch of inept fools?

What is it exactly you want to duplicate? Gmail will simply allow you
to enter a user name and password for sending via another mailserver.

Send through <yourdomain.tld> SMTP servers (recommended for
professional domains – Learn more)
SMTP Server: <yourhostmx.tld>  Port: [587]
Username: <your username>
Password: <your password>
[ ] Always use a secure connection (SSL) when sending mail

Postfix isn't involved in anyway here.

What are you, Ghouls? There are no dead students here. This week.

Re: Relaying mail through remote server?

Alex Regan
Hi,

>> with, so I had to add an entire /24 to mynetworks so he wouldn't have
>> a problem connecting.
>
> Er... the day I do something like that to work around the asstards at
> Verizon is the day someone needs to shoot me in the head.

Yeah, not fun, but have to keep the customer

> What is it exactly you want to duplicate?

The ability for an authorized user to be able to use our mail server
without having to have an entry in mynetworks or use popb4smtp.

> Gmail will simply allow you to
> enter a user name and password for sending via another mailserver.
>
> Send through <yourdomain.tld> SMTP servers (recommended for professional
> domains – Learn more)
> SMTP Server: <yourhostmx.tld>     Port: [587]

What is the "submission" port? It doesn't have anything to do with
postfix or SASL?

> Username: <your username>
> Password: <your password>

Is this the POP password for the Gmail account?

Is there something that already exists, outside of Gmail, that I can
adapt to this system, in effect giving the customer the ability to
update their own "mynetworks", of sorts?

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Relaying mail through remote server?

Noel Jones-2
On 8/23/2009 7:51 PM, MySQL Student wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> with, so I had to add an entire /24 to mynetworks so he wouldn't have
>>> a problem connecting.
>>
>> Er... the day I do something like that to work around the asstards at
>> Verizon is the day someone needs to shoot me in the head.
>
> Yeah, not fun, but have to keep the customer
>
>> What is it exactly you want to duplicate?
>
> The ability for an authorized user to be able to use our mail server
> without having to have an entry in mynetworks or use popb4smtp.
>
>> Gmail will simply allow you to
>> enter a user name and password for sending via another mailserver.
>>
>> Send through<yourdomain.tld>  SMTP servers (recommended for professional
>> domains – Learn more)
>> SMTP Server:<yourhostmx.tld>       Port: [587]
>
> What is the "submission" port? It doesn't have anything to do with
> postfix or SASL?

postfix running on the submission port.   You need to
configure your postfix for SMTP AUTH (SASL) and also configure
postfix to listen on the submission port.

>> Username:<your username>
>> Password:<your password>
>
> Is this the POP password for the Gmail account?
>
> Is there something that already exists, outside of Gmail, that I can
> adapt to this system, in effect giving the customer the ability to
> update their own "mynetworks", of sorts?

This has nothing (directly) to do with gmail.  You configure
your postfix for SASL, then your client can use your postfix
to relay mail using their password.  Generally the password is
from the same backend that runs your POP/IMAP server.

Postfix must be compiled with SASL support; if you install
from a vendor-supplied package you may already have SASL or
can get it by installing a different package.

Get started here:
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

Re: Relaying mail through remote server?

Alex Regan
Hi,

>> What is the "submission" port? It doesn't have anything to do with
>> postfix or SASL?
>
> postfix running on the submission port.   You need to configure your postfix
> for SMTP AUTH (SASL) and also configure postfix to listen on the submission
> port.

Ah, got it, thanks so much.

Best regards,
Alex