Release date of Postfix 3.0?

Patrik Båt
Hello!

Is there a set release date for Postfix 3.0, or is it released when its
"done"?

- Patrik

Re: Release date of Postfix 3.0?

Wietse Venema
Patrik B?t:
> Hello!
>
> Is there a set release date for Postfix 3.0, or is it released when its
> "done"?

Yes.

Re: Release date of Postfix 3.0?

Viktor Dukhovni
On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 06:53:31AM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

> > Is there a set release date for Postfix 3.0, or is it released when its
> > "done"?
>
> Yes.

On January 15th each year Wietse sets a counter for the following
year's release to zero.  Each day after that he rolls a 6 sided
dice, and adds the value to the running total.  When the total
reaches 1278, a new release is cut. :-)

Re: Release date of Postfix 3.0?

Edgar Pettijohn

So around August?

Re: Release date of Postfix 3.0?

Wietse Venema
Edgar Pettijohn:
> So around August?

Have a look at http://www.postfix.org/announcements.html, and see
when Postfix 2.{7-11}.0 were released.

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:26:29AM -0600, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:

> > On January 15th each year Wietse sets a counter for the following
> > year's release to zero.  Each day after that he rolls a 6 sided
> > dice, and adds the value to the running total.  When the total
> > reaches 1278, a new release is cut. :-)
>
> So around August?

[ Off topic alert, move along... ]

Your arithmetic is different than mine.

    $ echo "2k 1278 3.5 / p" | dc
    365.14

Your task is to compute the variance, it is easy to compute the
variance of total after 365 days.  I have not thought about how to
correctly compute the variance of the number of days needed to
reach a target total.  A naive order of magnitude guess is to take
the variance of the expected total after 365 days and divice by
the mean increment per day.  That gives a guestimated standard
deviation of ~sqrt(365 * 35/12)/3.5 or 9.5 days.  Replace the dice
with a coin toss, how does that change the standard deviation? :-)

It would be a minimum of 213 days which is around august or a maximum of 3 1/2 years which would be around august.  Plus there are probably unwritten rules.  For all we know he re-rolls all 3's.

On 2014-11-14 17:40, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Edgar Pettijohn:
>> So around August?
> Have a look at http://www.postfix.org/announcements.html, and see
> when Postfix 2.{7-11}.0 were released.