Reply on receive of MS Office 2007 files...

Reply on receive of MS Office 2007 files...

Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster
This may be a moot point, but I thought I'd ask...

We use OpenOffice.org, rather than use MS Office. Recently, we've had a
problem because we're getting flooded with MS Office 2007 files, which
OpenOffice.org is unable to read.

Now, I know there is a standalone converter tool. I've had problems with
it, especially on file associations (I want .doc files, for example, to
open in OpenOffice.org, and that's not what happens when I have the
converter installed).

Anyway, I know that Postfix's header_checks can reject on attachment (I
already drop .exe attachments, for example). I don't want to outright
reject emails that have .docx files, for example. But I would like to
configure Postfix, if possible, to send a message back requesting users
to resent their files in an alternative format (ODF, RTF, MS Office
XP/2003, etc).

What do you think? Can this even be done? If so, good idea or bad idea?

--
Jason Bailey, Web/IT Administrator
Sun Advocate / Emery County Progress
[hidden email] / [hidden email]
(435) 637-0732 (ext 31)

Re: Reply on receive of MS Office 2007 files...

Robert Schetterer
Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster schrieb:

> This may be a moot point, but I thought I'd ask...
>
> We use OpenOffice.org, rather than use MS Office. Recently, we've had a
> problem because we're getting flooded with MS Office 2007 files, which
> OpenOffice.org is unable to read.
>
> Now, I know there is a standalone converter tool. I've had problems with
> it, especially on file associations (I want .doc files, for example, to
> open in OpenOffice.org, and that's not what happens when I have the
> converter installed).
>
> Anyway, I know that Postfix's header_checks can reject on attachment (I
> already drop .exe attachments, for example). I don't want to outright
> reject emails that have .docx files, for example. But I would like to
> configure Postfix, if possible, to send a message back requesting users
> to resent their files in an alternative format (ODF, RTF, MS Office
> XP/2003, etc).
>
> What do you think? Can this even be done? If so, good idea or bad idea?

hi, you may give an additional reject message ( please resend in oofice
readable formats ) in body checks for *.doc etc.
But knowbody knows if this is a good idea at your place, cause this is
related
to your senders and recievers may react, i guess you will have a lot of
support
questions ( bla bla, i cant deliver mails to you, i cant install ooffice
here, i never recieved a bounce .....), i think it would be better
to find out whats the Problem with this files and why it couldnt be
opened by ooffice, but this ist not a question for the postfix mail list

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria

Robert Schetterer wrote:

> Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster schrieb:
>> This may be a moot point, but I thought I'd ask...
>>
>> We use OpenOffice.org, rather than use MS Office. Recently, we've had
>> a problem because we're getting flooded with MS Office 2007 files,
>> which OpenOffice.org is unable to read.
>>
>> Now, I know there is a standalone converter tool. I've had problems
>> with it, especially on file associations (I want .doc files, for
>> example, to open in OpenOffice.org, and that's not what happens when I
>> have the converter installed).
>>
>> Anyway, I know that Postfix's header_checks can reject on attachment
>> (I already drop .exe attachments, for example). I don't want to
>> outright reject emails that have .docx files, for example. But I would
>> like to configure Postfix, if possible, to send a message back
>> requesting users to resent their files in an alternative format (ODF,
>> RTF, MS Office XP/2003, etc).
>>
>> What do you think? Can this even be done? If so, good idea or bad idea?
>>
> hi, you may give an additional reject message ( please resend in oofice
> readable formats ) in body checks for *.doc etc.
> But knowbody knows if this is a good idea at your place, cause this is
> related
> to your senders and recievers may react, i guess you will have a lot of
> support
> questions ( bla bla, i cant deliver mails to you, i cant install ooffice
> here, i never recieved a bounce .....), i think it would be better
> to find out whats the Problem with this files and why it couldnt be
> opened by ooffice, but this ist not a question for the postfix mail list

I know why OpenOffice.org can't open them. Support isn't there yet. The
.docx files are a part of Microsoft Office 2007 (i.e. "Open Office
XML"). OpenOffice.org 3.0 is supposed to introduce support for MS Office
2007 files, but that's a ways off yet. But that aside...

The question is, if I were to send a rejection message like I described
earlier, how would I do that with Postfix? Would I put the reply string
just after the body_check or header_check action (i.e. REJECT, etc)?
I've never done this before...

RE: Reply on receive of MS Office 2007 files...

MacShane, Tracy

Just to get back to the original issue, I personally think it's better
for end users to deal with this kind of issue. We have problems where
I'm working because we trap and quarantine all ZIP files (don't ask me
why, I just dp what they tell me) and Trend Micro's IMSS traps the
Office 2007 files as ZIPs as well. Once we release the files from
quarantine for the user, we advise them to get in touch with their
contact and get them to send in regular DOC format in future - it's
trivial for an Office 2K7 user to save. I just wonder at peoples' short
memories, and how we used to have to get everyone to save in Word 6
format for a couple of years after Word 2000 came out (expecting people
to be ahead of the game just seems inconsiderate). It gives visibility
to the problem to our users and their contacts, rather than just
anonymously bouncing a message back to a sender who is valid.

All that aside, I don't know why people no longer seem to use RTF as a
portable viewing (and simple editing) format. Those were the days.

As for the problem you have with your converter, what happens if you
change the default action for opening DOC files back to Oofice after the
converter has been installed? Obviously the converter nabs the file
association, but you should be able to change it back.