Response to sender when mail is put to hold queue

Response to sender when mail is put to hold queue

Dominic Raferd
I don't know what response is given to the sending client when postfix
puts an incoming mail into the hold queue, say because of an access
table HOLD action.

At the time of actioning the hold, is sender told the mail has been
delivered (250), or something else - or is no response given at all?

Is there an attempt to give any info back to original sender when the
mail is finally released for delivery, or deleted - which may of
course be much later? (I do not allow DSN requests from strangers, if
this makes any difference.)

Re: Response to sender when mail is put to hold queue

Bastian Blank-3
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:17:25AM +0000, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> I don't know what response is given to the sending client when postfix
> puts an incoming mail into the hold queue, say because of an access
> table HOLD action.
> At the time of actioning the hold, is sender told the mail has been
> delivered (250), or something else - or is no response given at all?

The mail got accepted, so it gives a 250 to the client.  SMTP itself
does not confirm that a mail is delivered to the recipient.

> Is there an attempt to give any info back to original sender when the
> mail is finally released for delivery, or deleted - which may of
> course be much later? (I do not allow DSN requests from strangers, if
> this makes any difference.)

This is all up to you.  If you accepted a mail, you are accountable for
it.

Bastian

If some day we are defeated, well, war has its fortunes, good and bad.
                -- Commander Kor, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7

Re: Response to sender when mail is put to hold queue

Dominic Raferd
On 24 January 2018 at 10:52, Bastian Blank
<bastian+postfix-users=[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:17:25AM +0000, Dominic Raferd wrote:
>> I don't know what response is given to the sending client when postfix
>> puts an incoming mail into the hold queue, say because of an access
>> table HOLD action.
>> At the time of actioning the hold, is sender told the mail has been
>> delivered (250), or something else - or is no response given at all?
>
> The mail got accepted, so it gives a 250 to the client.  SMTP itself
> does not confirm that a mail is delivered to the recipient.
>
>> Is there an attempt to give any info back to original sender when the
>> mail is finally released for delivery, or deleted - which may of
>> course be much later? (I do not allow DSN requests from strangers, if
>> this makes any difference.)
>
> This is all up to you.  If you accepted a mail, you are accountable for
> it.

Thanks, I learned something!