Rewrite Return-path in e-mail message header

Rewrite Return-path in e-mail message header

Claus Weber
Hello,
we use the aliases file to maintain a small mailing list on our mail
server (Postfix 2.2.9). Is there a way to rewrite the Return-path in the
email header from the sender's address to the mailing list's address
with Postfix? I was reading the Postfix Address Rewriting documentation
but did not find a way to do that. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Claus

Re: Rewrite Return-path in e-mail message header

Wietse Venema
Claus Weber:
> Hello,
> we use the aliases file to maintain a small mailing list on our mail
> server (Postfix 2.2.9). Is there a way to rewrite the Return-path in the
> email header from the sender's address to the mailing list's address
> with Postfix? I was reading the Postfix Address Rewriting documentation
> but did not find a way to do that. Can anyone help?

The official ways to specify the envelope sender address are:

1) Specify the correct sender address with the MAIL FROM command
when submitting mail with SMTP,

2) Specify the sender address with the "sendmail -f" command-line
option when submitting with the Postfix sendmail command.

This is preferable over specifying the wrong sender first
and then trying to have Postfix repair the address.

Re: Rewrite Return-path in e-mail message header

Victor Duchovni
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 05:14:14PM +0200, Claus Weber wrote:

> we use the aliases file to maintain a small mailing list on our mail
> server (Postfix 2.2.9). Is there a way to rewrite the Return-path in the
> email header from the sender's address to the mailing list's address
> with Postfix? I was reading the Postfix Address Rewriting documentation
> but did not find a way to do that. Can anyone help?

    owner-list-alias: [hidden email]
    list-alias: :include:/file/listing/member/adddresses/one/per/line

When an an alias with an owner is expanded, the expanded message gets
"owner-list-alias" as the envelope sender.

    http://www.postfix.org/aliases.5.html