'SERVFAIL' error on DNS 'TXT' lookup

beluta07

Hi folks,

Lately when I am trying to send an email to a specific customer domain I have below error.

host smtp.customerdomain.com[customer-mx-server-ip] said: 450 4.7.1 <[hidden email]>: Recipient address rejected: SPF-Result=smtp.mydomain.com: 'SERVFAIL' error on DNS 'TXT' lookup of 'smtp.mydomain.com' (in reply to RCPT TO command))

                                         [hidden email]

I don't really understand the error but I tried to add an SPF record ("v=spf1 mx -all") to my dns domain but it didn't solve the issue.  So I am wondering about below.

- Is the problem on my side or customer-side?

- Is it because I cannot read the customer SPF record (they have one) properly?

- Is there a way to "bypass" this error?

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: 'SERVFAIL' error on DNS 'TXT' lookup

Jim Reid

> On 14 Jun 2019, at 14:24, klirstr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> host smtp.customerdomain.com[customer-mx-server-ip] said: 450 4.7.1 <[hidden email]>: Recipient address rejected: SPF-Result=smtp.mydomain.com: 'SERVFAIL' error on DNS 'TXT' lookup of 'smtp.mydomain.com' (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>                                          [hidden email]
>

> I don't really understand the error but I tried to add an SPF record ("v=spf1 mx -all") to my dns domain but it didn't solve the issue.  So I am wondering about below.
>
> - Is the problem on my side or customer-side?
> - Is it because I cannot read the customer SPF record (they have one) properly?
> - Is there a way to "bypass" this error?

It’s impossible to answer your questions from the information provided. In future, always show any log and error messages *verbatim*. None of this silly obfuscation of domain names and IP addresses: customerdomain.com or whatever. That helps no-one.

What would your reaction be if my answer was "the problem is xx xxxxx xxx xxxxxx xxxx xx (details hidden for imaginary/misguided security reasons)"?

That said, the quoted error message suggests DNS lookups for smtp.mydomain.com are returning SERVFAIL - which means DNS is very badly broken for that domain. If you’d told us the actual domain name instead of hiding it, somebody could have checked that and might well have been able to diagnose the fault.

Re: 'SERVFAIL' error on DNS 'TXT' lookup

@lbutlr
On 14 Jun2019, at 07:24, klirstr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> host smtp.customerdomain.com[customer-mx-server-ip] said: 450 4.7.1 <[hidden email]>: Recipient address rejected: SPF-Result=smtp.mydomain.com: 'SERVFAIL' error on DNS 'TXT' lookup of 'smtp.mydomain.com' (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>                                          [hidden email]

You have obfuscated all the detail that would allow someone to answer this. Without the actual error, unobfuscated at least as far as the domain names involved, there’s no way to know what the problem is.

At a guess, yours pf records are incorrect, but they might just not be up to the (possibly arbitrary) standard of the other mail server.

--
"Whose motorcycle is this?" "It's chopper, baby." "Whose chopper is
this?" "It's Zed's." "Who's Zed?" "Zed' dead, baby. Zed's dead.”