SPF, Postfix and majordomo

Anant Athavale

Hello,

As I know, Postfix-users mailing list uses majordomo.

Suppose sender domain has set SPF policy with list of IP addresses from which mail can originate for their domain. When the user sends a mail to a mailing list manager like majordomo, being a member of the list, the sender will receive back the mail posted to a mailing list. But, due to SPF policy set for sender domain, mail is rejected.

Now, is there a way to overcome this using Postfix?  As majordomo is a very old software, it may be difficult to get any solution from Majordomo.  Please suggest.

Anant S Athavale

गोपनीयता नोटिसः यह ई-मेल संदेश, किसी भी संलग्नक के साथ, अभिप्रेत प्राप्तकार(रों) के एकमात्र उपयोग के लिए है और इसमें गोपनीयता और विशेषाधिकार सूचना होगी। किसी प्रकार का अप्राधिकृत पुनरीक्षण, उपयोग, खुलासा या परिचालन निषेध है। यदि आप अभिप्रेत प्राप्तकार नहीं हैं तो, कृपया भेजने वाले से उत्तर ई-मेल द्वारा संपर्क करें और मूल संदेश की सभी प्रतियों को नष्ट कर दें।

Re: SPF, Postfix and majordomo

Benny Pedersen-2

logs that prove this would be usefull, i bet its not a spf problem

Re: SPF, Postfix and majordomo

Anant Athavale

Hi,

What I think is, in my setup "envelope-from" is not getting set something similar to
envelope-from="[hidden email]" and instead it is set same as sender email id.

This is may due to configuration in majordomo. Can someone guide on this?  Sorry, I am discussing this in postfix group.

Regards,
ANANT.

----- Message from Benny Pedersen <[hidden email]> ---------
   Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 13:42:25 +0100
   From: Benny Pedersen <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: SPF, Postfix and majordomo
     To: [hidden email]

----- End message from Benny Pedersen <[hidden email]> -----

Anant S Athavale

गोपनीयता नोटिसः यह ई-मेल संदेश, किसी भी संलग्नक के साथ, अभिप्रेत प्राप्तकार(रों) के एकमात्र उपयोग के लिए है और इसमें गोपनीयता और विशेषाधिकार सूचना होगी। किसी प्रकार का अप्राधिकृत पुनरीक्षण, उपयोग, खुलासा या परिचालन निषेध है। यदि आप अभिप्रेत प्राप्तकार नहीं हैं तो, कृपया भेजने वाले से उत्तर ई-मेल द्वारा संपर्क करें और मूल संदेश की सभी प्रतियों को नष्ट कर दें।

Re: SPF, Postfix and majordomo

Ralph Seichter-10
On 02.03.17 13:38, [hidden email] wrote:

> When the user sends a mail to a mailing list manager like majordomo,
> being a member of the list, the sender will receive back the mail posted
> to a mailing list. But, due to SPF policy set for sender domain, mail is
> rejected.

Please show logs to prove this claim. The Postfix mailing list does not
break SPF, as I can see on my end. Let's take your message as an example:

All is well in terms of SPF.

-Ralph

[hidden email] skrev den 2017-03-02 13:58:

> This is may due to configuration in majordomo. Can someone guide on
> this?  Sorry, I am discussing this in postfix group.

there exists no guides for things that is not a problem

you did not post a logging problem ?

i am sure if yoy really like help you can show the problem you have,
plenty of other users here would like to help if there is any problem,
but it cost to show logs of it first

to make it more shurt, where did you read spf breaks maillists ?

Re: SPF, Postfix and majordomo

Anant Athavale

Hi,

I think, this may be due to my misconfiguration of mailing list created using majordomo.  I will try to resolve.  I am sure, postfix-users mailing list is not breaking SPF.  But, my mailing list using majordomo is breaking it.

regards,
anant.

----- Message from Benny Pedersen <[hidden email]> ---------

Re: SPF, Postfix and majordomo

Anant Athavale

Hi,

to make things clear, I am running majordomo in my setup and I am facing some SPF related issues in my setup and hence wanted to know, how it is not happening with postfix-users which is also based on Majordomo?

Regards,
anant.

----- Message from [hidden email] ---------

   Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 14:10:45 +0100
   From: Benny Pedersen <[hidden email]>
     To: [hidden email]

----- End message from [hidden email] -----

Anant S Athavale

गोपनीयता नोटिसः यह ई-मेल संदेश, किसी भी संलग्नक के साथ, अभिप्रेत प्राप्तकार(रों) के एकमात्र उपयोग के लिए है और इसमें गोपनीयता और विशेषाधिकार सूचना होगी। किसी प्रकार का अप्राधिकृत पुनरीक्षण, उपयोग, खुलासा या परिचालन निषेध है। यदि आप अभिप्रेत प्राप्तकार नहीं हैं तो, कृपया भेजने वाले से उत्तर ई-मेल द्वारा संपर्क करें और मूल संदेश की सभी प्रतियों को नष्ट कर दें।

Re: SPF, Postfix and majordomo

[hidden email]:

> Hello,
>
> As I know, Postfix-users mailing list uses majordomo.
>
> Suppose sender domain has set SPF policy with list of IP addresses
> from which mail can originate for their domain. When the user sends a
> mail to a mailing list manager like majordomo, being a member of the
> list, the sender will receive back the mail posted to a mailing list.
> But, due to SPF policy set for sender domain, mail is rejected.

Well, that is their choice. Or they could use DKIM, and find out
that the message is authentic.

Re: SPF, Postfix and majordomo

Wietse Venema
Wietse Venema:

> [hidden email]:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > As I know, Postfix-users mailing list uses majordomo.
> >
> > Suppose sender domain has set SPF policy with list of IP addresses
> > from which mail can originate for their domain. When the user sends a
> > mail to a mailing list manager like majordomo, being a member of the
> > list, the sender will receive back the mail posted to a mailing list.
> > But, due to SPF policy set for sender domain, mail is rejected.
>
> Well, that is their choice. Or they could use DKIM, and find out
> that the message is authentic.

Oops, if it is really SPF, then you fail to override the envelope
sender address, leaving it at the poster's email address.

Re: SPF, Postfix and majordomo

@lbutlr
On 2017-03-02 (05:38 MST), [hidden email] wrote:

> Suppose sender domain has set SPF policy with list of IP addresses from which mail can originate for their domain. When the user sends a mail to a mailing list manager like majordomo, being a member of the list, the sender will receive back the mail posted to a mailing list. But, due to SPF policy set for sender domain, mail is rejected.

If so, your SPF is very broken.

What do your logs show?

--
Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.