SPF setup Temperror

Drexl Spivey
Hello,

Dovecot 2.2.27
Postfix 3.1.9

I had SPF setup proper, originally. Then, it stopped working properly
after some other configuration changes, as I tried to go through and
eliminate errors.

Here is my header information.

Received-SPF: Temperror (mailfrom) identity=mailfrom;
 client-ip=167.89.106.69; helo=o1.31qt.s2shared.sendgrid.net;
 envelope-from=bounces+9243903-ab61-me=[hidden email]
rg;
 receiver=[hidden email]

My two questions:

1. The Temperror. How do I turn that into a pass? I checked the
/var/log/mail.log, and there is no more information there.

I changed the debug level (from 1 to 4) in:
/etc/postfix-policyd-spf-python/policyd-spf.config

Checked error log again, and go this tidbit.
Mar 24 01:03:57 mail policyd-spf[5581]: spfcheck: pyspf result:
"['Temperror', 'SPF Temporary Error: DNS [Errno 22] Invalid argument',
'mailfrom']"

My best guess is that it has to do with dns configuration.

2. Not directly related, but adjacent to this problem, is that my SPF
shows "mailfrom" in the header, which I am guess is some type of
generic header. Can I change that to be the actual receiver/sender,
like an actual email address?

My best guess here is that I have to use canonical addresses? I am not
really sure.

Thanks in advance, if anyone can point me in the right direction, it
would be greatly appreciated.

Re: SPF setup Temperror

Scott Kitterman-4

On March 24, 2019 12:13:11 AM UTC, Esteban L <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Dovecot 2.2.27
>Postfix 3.1.9
>
>I had SPF setup proper, originally. Then, it stopped working properly
>after some other configuration changes, as I tried to go through and
>eliminate errors.
>
>Here is my header information.
>

>Received-SPF: Temperror (mailfrom) identity=mailfrom;
> client-ip=167.89.106.69; helo=o1.31qt.s2shared.sendgrid.net;
> envelope-from=bounces+9243903-ab61-me=[hidden email]
>rg;
> receiver=[hidden email]
>
>My two questions:
>
>1. The Temperror. How do I turn that into a pass? I checked the
>/var/log/mail.log, and there is no more information there.
>
>I changed the debug level (from 1 to 4) in:
>/etc/postfix-policyd-spf-python/policyd-spf.config
>

>Checked error log again, and go this tidbit.
>Mar 24 01:03:57 mail policyd-spf[5581]: spfcheck: pyspf result:
>"['Temperror', 'SPF Temporary Error: DNS [Errno 22] Invalid argument',
>'mailfrom']"
>
>My best guess is that it has to do with dns configuration.
>
>2. Not directly related, but adjacent to this problem, is that my SPF
>shows "mailfrom" in the header, which I am guess is some type of
>generic header. Can I change that to be the actual receiver/sender,
>like an actual email address?
>
>My best guess here is that I have to use canonical addresses? I am not
>really sure.
>
>Thanks in advance, if anyone can point me in the right direction, it
>would be greatly appreciated.

Put this in as a question here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/spf-engine

Also, include a copy of your etc/postfix-policyd-spf-python/policyd-spf.config

I'll have a look at it there.  It's not a Postfix issue.

Scott K