Sanity check - of my postfix setup.

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sanity check - of my postfix setup.

John Allen
I am trying to debug a problem with my mail system. I think the problem
is with Dovecot, or Thunderbird.

However, just to make sure i am not missing something really stupid
could I get a check on my postfix setup.

TIA

John A


postconf_main.list (5K) Download Attachment
postconf_master.list (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sanity check - of my postfix setup.

John Allen
As Andreas pointed out it might help is I outlined the problem.

I am losing mail, it just disappears. Postfix seems to deliver it, hands
it off the dovecot LMTP and then shows "removed"

Dovecot shows ... : saved to INBOX.

But messages disappear. I am deeply suspicious of the
Dovecot/Thunderbird sieve setup and have disabled it to see if the
problem goes away.

When I go through my Postfix config I do not see any problems, but I am
not a Postfix expert. Ditto for Dovecot, but that's a different list.



On 5/9/17 7:20 AM, John wrote:

> I am trying to debug a problem with my mail system. I think the
> problem is with Dovecot, or Thunderbird.
>
> However, just to make sure i am not missing something really stupid
> could I get a check on my postfix setup.
>
> TIA
>
> John A
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sanity check - of my postfix setup.

Noel Jones-2
On 5/9/2017 6:59 AM, John wrote:
> As Andreas pointed out it might help is I outlined the problem.
>
> I am losing mail, it just disappears. Postfix seems to deliver it,
> hands it off the dovecot LMTP and then shows "removed"
>
> Dovecot shows ... : saved to INBOX.

Both postfix and dovecot are very careful to record in the log what
happens to messages; if they say they delivered a message it was
delivered.  No amount of misconfiguration can break that.

Read the log carefully to make sure messages are delivered to where
you expect them to be delivered.

>
> But messages disappear. I am deeply suspicious of the
> Dovecot/Thunderbird sieve setup and have disabled it to see if the
> problem goes away.

Yes, that's a good place to look for problems.

Another possibility is your file system is broken in some manner,
and falsely claims files are saved when they aren't.  Run fsck a few
times to see if any errors are found to eliminate that possibility.



  -- Noel Jones
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sanity check - of my postfix setup.

Paul Kelly
I had similar issues and my Maildir was misnamed. I solved it by making
a link from the existing name to the correct name.


On 05/09/2017 07:36 AM, Noel Jones wrote:

> On 5/9/2017 6:59 AM, John wrote:
>> As Andreas pointed out it might help is I outlined the problem.
>>
>> I am losing mail, it just disappears. Postfix seems to deliver it,
>> hands it off the dovecot LMTP and then shows "removed"
>>
>> Dovecot shows ... : saved to INBOX.
> Both postfix and dovecot are very careful to record in the log what
> happens to messages; if they say they delivered a message it was
> delivered.  No amount of misconfiguration can break that.
>
> Read the log carefully to make sure messages are delivered to where
> you expect them to be delivered.
>
>> But messages disappear. I am deeply suspicious of the
>> Dovecot/Thunderbird sieve setup and have disabled it to see if the
>> problem goes away.
> Yes, that's a good place to look for problems.
>
> Another possibility is your file system is broken in some manner,
> and falsely claims files are saved when they aren't.  Run fsck a few
> times to see if any errors are found to eliminate that possibility.
>
>
>
>    -- Noel Jones

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Sanity check - of my postfix setup.

John Anderson
I second that in a virtual mail setup I had a mismatch in the postfix (main.cf) and dovecot conf files. I wanna say it was the userdb settings for dovecot.

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Paul Kelly
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 9:40 AM
To: postfix users <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Sanity check - of my postfix setup.

I had similar issues and my Maildir was misnamed. I solved it by making a link from the existing name to the correct name.


On 05/09/2017 07:36 AM, Noel Jones wrote:

> On 5/9/2017 6:59 AM, John wrote:
>> As Andreas pointed out it might help is I outlined the problem.
>>
>> I am losing mail, it just disappears. Postfix seems to deliver it,
>> hands it off the dovecot LMTP and then shows "removed"
>>
>> Dovecot shows ... : saved to INBOX.
> Both postfix and dovecot are very careful to record in the log what
> happens to messages; if they say they delivered a message it was
> delivered.  No amount of misconfiguration can break that.
>
> Read the log carefully to make sure messages are delivered to where
> you expect them to be delivered.
>
>> But messages disappear. I am deeply suspicious of the
>> Dovecot/Thunderbird sieve setup and have disabled it to see if the
>> problem goes away.
> Yes, that's a good place to look for problems.
>
> Another possibility is your file system is broken in some manner,
> and falsely claims files are saved when they aren't.  Run fsck a few
> times to see if any errors are found to eliminate that possibility.
>
>
>
>    -- Noel Jones

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager immediately. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Chickasaw Nation Industries, Inc. and any of its subsidiaries. Recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Chickasaw Nation Industries, Inc. and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.