Send to relay?

Ville Walveranta
Is it possible for Postfix to relay mail through another SMTP server?
In other words:

[sender client] -LAN-> [Postfix SMTP] -slow-> [some other SMTP] ->
[recipient's SMTP] -> [recipient's client]

.. where "Postfix SMTP" would relay via "some other SMTP" all outbound
email it accepts to queue?  The reason I'm thinking about this is that
the outbound link from the "Postfix SMTP" is slow in this setting, and
does not have a static IP (this is not the same location than the
"cache" server discussed in the other recent thread). If the email
could be relayed via an external SMTP server which is authorized to
send mail for the sender's domain, and which has a static IP, the
outbound mail would be queued faster, yet the mail would be ultimately
sent out from a server whose domain name could be reversed to a static
IP.

Thanks for any insights on this,

Ville

Re: Send to relay?

Ville Walveranta
I suppose I could use transport_maps to map all addresses to a
specific MX (which would really be the relay). Ah, and few Google
searches produced these:

http://tinyurl.com/ypb3tc
http://tinyurl.com/qmkph8
http://tinyurl.com/o2mzkx

Apparently what I'm looking for is an outbound proxy.

Ville

Re: Send to relay?

Barney Desmond
2009/6/27 Ville Walveranta <[hidden email]>:
> Is it possible for Postfix to relay mail through another SMTP server?
> In other words:
>
> [sender client] -LAN-> [Postfix SMTP] -slow-> [some other SMTP] ->
> [recipient's SMTP] -> [recipient's client]

What you describe sounds exactly like a relayhost, no? A pretty common
requirement.
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relayhost

Re: Send to relay?

Ville Walveranta
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Barney Desmond<[hidden email]> wrote:
> What you describe sounds exactly like a relayhost, no?
> A pretty common requirement.
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relayhost

Yes, relayhost it is!  It was easy to set up!  Postfix rocks! :-)

Ville

Re: Send to relay?

Ville Walveranta
Note to other setting this up for the first time: make sure you have
the Cyrus SASL2 library compiled in!  It took me a while to figure out
why SASL AUTH wasn't working.

Ville