Sender address rejected, but I didn't ask it to be checked.

Sender address rejected, but I didn't ask it to be checked.

paiNgoo4
Hi,

I have been using postfix for many years. So far whenever I had a problem,
Google or the documentation helped out.
However today I got stuck and have no idea what to do.
This is a new machine, fresh Debian stretch install.
I am trying to use postfix with virtual users, Dovecot imap and
authentication. I have not used virtual users in the past, so maybe there is
some rookie mistake somewhere.

I have set up postfix, the machine can receive and send emails. I have set
up dovecot, I can log in and read the emails that I received. But if I try
to submit an email (using thunderbird), I receive the error message:

postfix/submission/smtpd[13993]: connect from 1270...
postfix/submission/smtpd[13993]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
1270.isp.net[xx.xx.xx.xx]: 553 5.7.1 <[hidden email]>: Sender address
rejected: not owned by user [hidden email]; from=<[hidden email]>
to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP helo=<[192.168.0.11]>
postfix/submission/smtpd[13993]: disconnect from 1270.isp.net[xx.xx.xx.xx]
ehlo=2 starttls=1 auth=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 quit=1 commands=6/7

Google told me that this error message is related to smtpd_sender_login_maps
and smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_sender_login_mismatch (in
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html) this may be a mistake in the
documentation because according to the
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html page this is a parameter for
smtpd_sender_restrictions.

So I checked and found that none of these is set.
# postfix reload
# postconf | grep smtpd_sender
proxy_read_maps = ... $smtpd_sender_login_maps ...
smtpd_sender_login_maps =
smtpd_sender_restrictions =
# postconf | grep smtpd_recipient_restrictions
proxy_read_maps = ... $smtpd_recipient_restrictions
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =

Sender address rejected: not owned by user

I thought, OK, so for some reason it is checking it, let's put the
configuration in, with the table, then surely it will work.
But no.

# postfix reload
# postconf | grep --color smtpd_recipient_restrictions
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_sender_login_mismatch
# postconf | grep --color smtpd_sender
smtpd_sender_login_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/logins
smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_sender_login_mismatch
/etc/postfix# ls logins*
logins  logins.db
/etc/postfix# cat logins
# envelope sender       owners (SASL login names)
[hidden email]     [hidden email]

Please tell me, what is it that I can't see.
Thanks

Re: Sender address rejected, but I didn't ask it to be checked.

Noel Jones-2
On 1/29/2019 1:51 PM, paiNgoo4 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using postfix for many years. So far whenever I had a problem,
> Google or the documentation helped out.
> However today I got stuck and have no idea what to do.
> This is a new machine, fresh Debian stretch install.
> I am trying to use postfix with virtual users, Dovecot imap and
> authentication. I have not used virtual users in the past, so maybe there is
> some rookie mistake somewhere.
>
> I have set up postfix, the machine can receive and send emails. I have set
> up dovecot, I can log in and read the emails that I received. But if I try
> to submit an email (using thunderbird), I receive the error message:
>
> postfix/submission/smtpd[13993]: connect from 1270...
> postfix/submission/smtpd[13993]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> 1270.isp.net[xx.xx.xx.xx]: 553 5.7.1 <[hidden email]>: Sender address
> rejected: not owned by user [hidden email]; from=<[hidden email]>
> to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP helo=<[192.168.0.11]>
> postfix/submission/smtpd[13993]: disconnect from 1270.isp.net[xx.xx.xx.xx]
> ehlo=2 starttls=1 auth=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 quit=1 commands=6/7
>
> Google told me that this error message is related to smtpd_sender_login_maps
> and smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_sender_login_mismatch (in
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html)

Your google analysis is correct.

> this may be a mistake in the
> documentation because according to the
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html page this is a parameter for
> smtpd_sender_restrictions.

No mistake. As documented, sender restrictions can be used in
smtpd_recipient_restrictions.

> So I checked and found that none of these is set.

Check for -o overrides in your master.cf submission entry.

If you need more help, please see:

> # postfix reload
> # postconf | grep smtpd_sender
> proxy_read_maps = ... $smtpd_sender_login_maps ...
> smtpd_sender_login_maps =
> smtpd_sender_restrictions =
> # postconf | grep smtpd_recipient_restrictions
> proxy_read_maps = ... $smtpd_recipient_restrictions
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>
> Sender address rejected: not owned by user
>
> I thought, OK, so for some reason it is checking it, let's put the
> configuration in, with the table, then surely it will work.
> But no.
>
> # postfix reload
> # postconf | grep --color smtpd_recipient_restrictions
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_sender_login_mismatch
> # postconf | grep --color smtpd_sender
> smtpd_sender_login_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/logins
> smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_sender_login_mismatch
> /etc/postfix# ls logins*
> logins  logins.db
> /etc/postfix# cat logins
> # envelope sender       owners (SASL login names)
> [hidden email]     [hidden email]
>
> Please tell me, what is it that I can't see.
> Thanks
>

> --
> Sent from: http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/Postfix-Users-f2.html

Re: Sender address rejected, but I didn't ask it to be checked.

paiNgoo4
You were right.
There were overrides in the master.cf and I forgot to check that.
And to make matters funny, the same filename was used for sender_login_maps
and virtual_alias_maps.
Fixed the file names and now it works.
Thank you for your help