Single Postfix instance, choosing outbound IP

Single Postfix instance, choosing outbound IP

Skeeve Stevens
Single Postfix instance, choosing outbound IP

Hey all,

I need to setup a mail server which can virtualize the email inbound/outbound on a per customer basis about 50 instances.

I thought it would be easier to somehow chose an outbound ip address alias based on the source destination but no idea how I would execute this inside Postfix.

Or how easy is it to virtualize posfix to run 50 copies on a single box or how many would a box sustain (I realise that is a hard question without and load figures but assuming it is medium [10,000per day] volume).

Skeeve

--

Skeeve Stevens, RHCE

[hidden email] / www.skeeve.org

Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 / skype://skeeve

eintellego - [hidden email] - www.eintellego.net

--

I'm a groove licked love child king of the verse

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Single Postfix instance, choosing outbound IP

Stefan Förster-4
* Skeeve Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Or. how easy is it to virtualize posfix to run 50 copies on a single box. or
> how many would a box sustain (I realise that is a hard question without and
> load figures - but assuming it is medium [10,000per day] volume).

I've never heard of anything like that being done on such a scale. Are
you sure that large-scale virtualiziation is the right way to solve
your problem? Which problem are you trying to solve?

Cheers
Stefan

Re: Single Postfix instance, choosing outbound IP

Bill Anderson-2

On May 12, 2008, at 11:15 PM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

Hey all,

I need to setup a mail server which can virtualize the email inbound/outbound on a per customer basis about 50 instances.

I thought it would be easier to somehow chose an outbound ip address alias based on the source destination but no idea how I would execute this inside Postfix.

Or how easy is it to virtualize posfix to run 50 copies on a single box or how many would a box sustain (I realise that is a hard question without and load figures but assuming it is medium [10,000per day] volume).

Are you saying 50K messages/day? No offense but that's not even a "medium load" unless they are all sent in a very short window.

Now, I don't necessarily agree that running 50 instances is a solution to whatever your problem is, but if you decide on it I'd say your best route is to use full virtualization. For example, set up each virtual as a normal server in a Xen (or VMWare, or LVM or....) instance and manage it like a normal server - after all, it is. You get per-IP binding for free at that point.

With better details, you get better responses. ;)

Cheers,
Bill