Slowing a Client Down

d.hill

Is there a way I can slow a client down? Mediacom is having an issue with
compromised email accounts. I've been patiently working with them by
sending what messages get trapped as spam. However, I haven't received
response back yet as to the progress. Their two servers attempt to deliver
messages to an average 30,000 unknown accounts per day. I don't really
want to block them outright as there are legit messages that do come
through.

-d

Re: Slowing a Client Down

Victor Duchovni
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 03:16:23PM +0000, Duane Hill wrote:

> Is there a way I can slow a client down? Mediacom is having an issue with
> compromised email accounts. I've been patiently working with them by
> sending what messages get trapped as spam. However, I haven't received
> response back yet as to the progress. Their two servers attempt to deliver
> messages to an average 30,000 unknown accounts per day. I don't really
> want to block them outright as there are legit messages that do come
> through.

If it is a real MTA, pushing mail from a queue, slowing it down has no
value until a backlog causes mail to expire from their queue, and this
will be both good and bad mail at random. The solution is to avoid having
them queue mail you don't want to receive, or discarding the garbage as
*fast* as you can.