Slowing down delivery to a particular destination

Slowing down delivery to a particular destination

Ben Beuchler-2
I'm delivering approximately 80k messages (customized per recipient)
to a fairly large corporate client.  Their Exchange server is,
according to their IS department, unable to handle the load.   So far
I've been fiddling with smtp_destination_concurrency_limit in an
attempt to slow things down enough for it to catch up.  I haven't
turned it all the way down to 1 yet, but I'm wondering if there are
any other knobs I can twiddle to insert some delays between each
delivery?  Or is there a better way to cripple my mail server to
handle the inadequacies of Exchange?  The server is dedicated to
sending mail to this client, so even a global modification to
Postfix's behavior would be fine.

Thanks!

(Postfix 2.5.1, if that matters...)

-Ben

Re: Slowing down delivery to a particular destination

Wietse Venema
Ben Beuchler:
> I'm delivering approximately 80k messages (customized per recipient)
> to a fairly large corporate client.  Their Exchange server is,
> according to their IS department, unable to handle the load.   So far
> I've been fiddling with smtp_destination_concurrency_limit in an
> attempt to slow things down enough for it to catch up.  I haven't
> turned it all the way down to 1 yet, but I'm wondering if there are
> any other knobs I can twiddle to insert some delays between each
> delivery?

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#default_destination_rate_delay

Specify "-o smtp_destination_rate_delay=1" in master.cf for a clone
of the outbound "smtp" service:

/etc/postfix/master.cf:
    slow      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
        -o smtp_destination_rate_delay=1

Use a transport map to route mail for this site to the "slow" transport:

/etc/postfix/transport:
    example.com slow:

And configure transport map lookups in main.cf:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:

Run "postmap hash:/etc/postfix/transport" whenever the file is changed.

        Wietse