Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
Hi all,

That is the problem: when i try to send a mail to my mailserver, it
reply like that:

message size 3454349 exceeds size limit 3072000 of server

But my settings are this:



mailbox_size_limit = 70240000
message_size_limit = 70240000


Any clue?

I don't know what to do... can be a bug? I use postfix + VDA patch on
Suse linux 10.3.

Thank u.




--
------------
Claudio Prono
Systems Development @ Atpss.net Srl, Divisione Implementazione Sistemi
Via San Bernardino, 17 - 10137 Torino (TO) - IT
Tel +39-011.32.72.100  Fax +39-011.32.46.497
PGP Fingerprint: 75C2 4049 E23D 2FBF A65F  40DB EA5C 11AC C2B0 3647
Disclaimer: http://atpss.net/disclaimer
------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Charles Marcus
On 6/5/2008 11:49 AM, Claudio Prono wrote:

> That is the problem: when i try to send a mail to my mailserver, it
> reply like that:
>
> message size 3454349 exceeds size limit 3072000 of server
>
> But my settings are this:
>
> mailbox_size_limit = 70240000
> message_size_limit = 70240000
>
> Any clue?

Prove those are your settings (postconf -n output), and that it is
postfix that is rejecting the message (logs)...

--

Best regards,

Charles
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
Charles Marcus ha scritto:

> On 6/5/2008 11:49 AM, Claudio Prono wrote:
>> That is the problem: when i try to send a mail to my mailserver, it
>> reply like that:
>>
>> message size 3454349 exceeds size limit 3072000 of server
>>
>> But my settings are this:
>>
>> mailbox_size_limit = 70240000
>> message_size_limit = 70240000
>>
>> Any clue?
>
> Prove those are your settings (postconf -n output), and that it is
> postfix that is rejecting the message (logs)...
>
This is my postconf -n

mail:~ # postconf  -n
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
biff = no
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 10
defer_transports =
disable_dns_lookups = no
disable_mime_output_conversion = no
disable_vrfy_command = yes
header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
header_size_limit = 10240000
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/html
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = ipv4
local_transport = local
mail_owner = postfix
mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
mailbox_command =
mailbox_size_limit = 70240000
mailbox_transport =
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
masquerade_domains = domain.it
masquerade_exceptions = root
message_size_limit = 70240000
mydestination = $mydomain
mydomain = mail.domain.it
myhostname = mail.domain.it
mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.3.0/24, 192.168.87.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
mynetworks_style = subnet
myorigin = $myhostname
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/README_FILES
recipient_delimiter = -
relay_domains = $mydestination, mediaservice.pri
relayhost =
relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/samples
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = maildrop
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
smtp_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
smtp_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
smtp_tls_loglevel = 1
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
smtpd_client_restrictions =
smtpd_helo_required = no
smtpd_helo_restrictions =
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                                     check_recipient_access
hash:/etc/postfix/dspam_learning,
                                     permit_mynetworks,        
                                     permit_sasl_authenticated,        
                                     reject_non_fqdn_sender,    
                                     reject_non_fqdn_recipient,        
                                     
reject_unknown_recipient_domain,        
                                     reject_unauth_pipelining,        
                                     reject_unauth_destination,        
                                     check_recipient_access
hash:/etc/postfix/dspam_users
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_unknown_sender_domain
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
smtpd_use_tls = yes
strict_8bitmime = no
strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport,
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_transport_maps.cf
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:51
virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/virtual
virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit = 524288000
virtual_mailbox_limit_maps =
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit_override = yes
virtual_mailbox_maps = $transport_maps,
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox
_maps.cf
virtual_maildir_extended = yes
virtual_maildir_limit_message = Sorry, the user's maildir has overdrawn
his disk
space \  quota, please try again later.
virtual_minimum_uid = 51
virtual_overquota_bounce = yes
virtual_transport = virtual
virtual_uid_maps = static:51

In log the only thing i have is this:

Jun  5 17:09:21 mail postfix/smtpd[1000]: connect from
mail2.mediaservice.net[213.254.x.x]
Jun  5 17:09:21 mail postfix/smtpd[1000]: lost connection after EHLO
from mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.x.x]

No other significant errors or warning in the logs.....
Help me pls :)

Claudio.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
Claudio Prono ha scritto:

> Charles Marcus ha scritto:
>> On 6/5/2008 11:49 AM, Claudio Prono wrote:
>>> That is the problem: when i try to send a mail to my mailserver, it
>>> reply like that:
>>>
>>> message size 3454349 exceeds size limit 3072000 of server
>>>
>>> But my settings are this:
>>>
>>> mailbox_size_limit = 70240000
>>> message_size_limit = 70240000
>>>
>>> Any clue?
>>
>> Prove those are your settings (postconf -n output), and that it is
>> postfix that is rejecting the message (logs)...
>>
> This is my postconf -n
>
> mail:~ # postconf  -n
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
> biff = no
> canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
> command_directory = /usr/sbin
> config_directory = /etc/postfix
> daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
> debug_peer_level = 10
> defer_transports =
> disable_dns_lookups = no
> disable_mime_output_conversion = no
> disable_vrfy_command = yes
> header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
> header_size_limit = 10240000
> html_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/html
> inet_interfaces = all
> inet_protocols = ipv4
> local_transport = local
> mail_owner = postfix
> mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
> mailbox_command =
> mailbox_size_limit = 70240000
> mailbox_transport =
> mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
> manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
> masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
> masquerade_domains = domain.it
> masquerade_exceptions = root
> message_size_limit = 70240000
> mydestination = $mydomain
> mydomain = mail.domain.it
> myhostname = mail.domain.it
> mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.3.0/24, 192.168.87.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
> mynetworks_style = subnet
> myorigin = $myhostname
> newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
> queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
> readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/README_FILES
> recipient_delimiter = -
> relay_domains = $mydestination, mediaservice.pri
> relayhost =
> relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
> sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/samples
> sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
> setgid_group = maildrop
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
> smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
> smtp_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
> smtp_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
> smtp_tls_loglevel = 1
> smtp_use_tls = yes
> smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
> smtpd_client_restrictions =
> smtpd_helo_required = no
> smtpd_helo_restrictions =
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>                                     check_recipient_access
> hash:/etc/postfix/dspam_learning,
>                                     permit_mynetworks,        
>                                     permit_sasl_authenticated,        
>                                     reject_non_fqdn_sender,    
>                                     reject_non_fqdn_recipient,        
>                                    
> reject_unknown_recipient_domain,        
>                                     reject_unauth_pipelining,        
>                                     reject_unauth_destination,        
>                                     check_recipient_access
> hash:/etc/postfix/dspam_users
> smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
> smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_unknown_sender_domain
> smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
> smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
> smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
> smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
> smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
> smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
> smtpd_use_tls = yes
> strict_8bitmime = no
> strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
> tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
> transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport,
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_transport_maps.cf
> unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
> virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
> virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
> virtual_gid_maps = static:51
> virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/virtual
> virtual_mailbox_domains =
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
> virtual_mailbox_limit = 524288000
> virtual_mailbox_limit_maps =
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
> cf
> virtual_mailbox_limit_override = yes
> virtual_mailbox_maps = $transport_maps,
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox
> _maps.cf
> virtual_maildir_extended = yes
> virtual_maildir_limit_message = Sorry, the user's maildir has
> overdrawn his disk
> space \  quota, please try again later.
> virtual_minimum_uid = 51
> virtual_overquota_bounce = yes
> virtual_transport = virtual
> virtual_uid_maps = static:51
>
> In log the only thing i have is this:
>
> Jun  5 17:09:21 mail postfix/smtpd[1000]: connect from
> mail2.mediaservice.net[213.254.x.x]
> Jun  5 17:09:21 mail postfix/smtpd[1000]: lost connection after EHLO
> from mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.x.x]
>
> No other significant errors or warning in the logs.....
> Help me pls :)
>
> Claudio.
>
>
>
>
>
Sorry, just a correction:

Jun  5 17:09:21 mail postfix/smtpd[1000]: connect from
mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.x.x]
Jun  5 17:09:21 mail postfix/smtpd[1000]: lost connection after EHLO
from mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.x.x]

I have forgot to change an hostname :)))

Now is correct.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Charles Marcus
On 6/5/2008, Claudio Prono ([hidden email]) wrote:
> Jun  5 17:09:21 mail postfix/smtpd[1000]: connect from
> mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.x.x]

Is that your IP address/hostname? I don't think this is the log of your
attempt to send email...

Whenb postfix rejects because of the message size is too big, you will
most definitely see this in the logs.

--

Best regards,

Charles
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
Charles Marcus ha scritto:

> On 6/5/2008, Claudio Prono ([hidden email]) wrote:
>> Jun  5 17:09:21 mail postfix/smtpd[1000]: connect from
>> mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.x.x]
>
> Is that your IP address/hostname? I don't think this is the log of
> your attempt to send email...
>
> Whenb postfix rejects because of the message size is too big, you will
> most definitely see this in the logs.
>
Sounds strange also to me, but that is the only log i have to that
transaction, nothing else.
A question, message_size_limit also define the limit of a virtual user?
or only of a local user? Seems the parameter i have set is not
considered at all...

Cheers,

Claudio
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Charles Marcus
On 6/5/2008, Claudio Prono ([hidden email]) wrote:
> Sounds strange also to me, but that is the only log i have to that
> transaction, nothing else. A question, message_size_limit also define
> the limit of a virtual user? or only of a local user? Seems the
> parameter i have set is not considered at all...

You don't understand...

You have NOT shown any log excerpt showing POSTFIX rejecting a message
based on size...

So either the server you are connecting to when sending is DIFFERENT
from the server whose logs you are examining - or what else, I don't know...

--

Best regards,

Charles
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
Charles Marcus ha scritto:
On 6/5/2008, Claudio Prono ([hidden email]) wrote:
Sounds strange also to me, but that is the only log i have to that
transaction, nothing else. A question, message_size_limit also define
the limit of a virtual user? or only of a local user? Seems the
parameter i have set is not considered at all...

You don't understand...

You have NOT shown any log excerpt showing POSTFIX rejecting a message based on size...

So either the server you are connecting to when sending is DIFFERENT from the server whose logs you are examining - or what else, I don't know...

There is a possibility, i know there is a watchguard firewall in front of the mail server. That can limit the connections? But in that case, why is the mail server responding me that:

This is the mail system at host mail2.mydomain.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

                   The mail system

[hidden email]: message size 3454346 exceeds size limit 3072000 of server
    mail.domain.it[82.186.xx.xx]


How can be? Uhm....


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Brian Collins-3
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
> delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.
>
> If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your
> own text from the attached returned message.
>
>                    The mail system
>
> <[hidden email]>: message size 3454346 exceeds size limit 3072000 of
> server
>     mail.domain.it[82.186.xx.xx]
>
>
> How can be? Uhm....
>

Unless your mail server is 'mail.domain.it', this is not your server
generating the message.  It's the remote server.  

--Brian


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
Brian Collins ha scritto:
I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your
own text from the attached returned message.

                   The mail system

[hidden email]: message size 3454346 exceeds size limit 3072000 of
server
    mail.domain.it[82.186.xx.xx]


How can be? Uhm....

    

Unless your mail server is 'mail.domain.it', this is not your server
generating the message.  It's the remote server.  

--Brian





  
No wait, u don't have understanded the situation. Domain.it is a server built by me, for a Client. The config of Postfix i have posted is the config of the mail.domain.it. And is him refusing the "too big" mail. I have access to both the configuration of the two servers, the sender and the reciever. But the problem persists.

Cheers,

Cla.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Евгений Шишкин
In reply to this post by Claudio Prono


2008/6/5 Claudio Prono <[hidden email]>:
Hi all,

That is the problem: when i try to send a mail to my mailserver, it reply like that:

message size 3454349 exceeds size limit 3072000 of server

But my settings are this:



mailbox_size_limit = 70240000
message_size_limit = 70240000


Any clue?

I don't know what to do... can be a bug? I use postfix + VDA patch on Suse linux 10.3.

Thank u.




--
------------
Claudio Prono
Systems Development @ Atpss.net Srl, Divisione Implementazione Sistemi
Via San Bernardino, 17 - 10137 Torino (TO) - IT
Tel +39-011.32.72.100  Fax +39-011.32.46.497
PGP Fingerprint: 75C2 4049 E23D 2FBF A65F  40DB EA5C 11AC C2B0 3647
Disclaimer: http://atpss.net/disclaimer
------------

You can't send email bigger than half of mailbox_size_limit.
Read mans.

--
Евгений Шишкин
Aphora Group
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Brian Collins-3
In reply to this post by Claudio Prono
> No wait, u don't have understanded the situation. Domain.it is a server
> built by me, for a Client. The config of Postfix i have posted is the
> config of the mail.domain.it. And is him refusing the "too big" mail. I
> have access to both the configuration of the two servers, the sender
> and the reciever. But the problem persists.

Ok, so in your mail log you should see evidence of this.  Look for "size
limit" in your mail log.

Additionally, for sanity, post the output of:
postconf -n | egrep size_limit

--Brian



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
Brian Collins ha scritto:

>> No wait, u don't have understanded the situation. Domain.it is a server
>> built by me, for a Client. The config of Postfix i have posted is the
>> config of the mail.domain.it. And is him refusing the "too big" mail. I
>> have access to both the configuration of the two servers, the sender
>> and the reciever. But the problem persists.
>>    
>
> Ok, so in your mail log you should see evidence of this.  Look for "size
> limit" in your mail log.
>
> Additionally, for sanity, post the output of:
> postconf -n | egrep size_limit
>
> --Brian
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  
that is postconf -n:

mail:~ # postconf -n | egrep size_limit
header_size_limit = 10240000
mailbox_size_limit = 170240000
message_size_limit = 70240000

I have raised the mailbox_size_limit to 170240000, but no way, the
message is not accepted.

If i grep "size limit" in mail logs i have no results in all the logs in
/var/log. The only log i have of that operation is that:

Jun 5 22:19:16 mail postfix/smtpd[6620]: connect from
mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.xx.xx]
Jun 5 22:19:17 mail postfix/smtpd[6620]: lost connection after EHLO from
mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.xx.xx]
Jun 5 22:19:17 mail postfix/smtpd[6620]: disconnect from
mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.xx.xx]

Why connection lost after EHLO? What can be??
I have tryied also to disable tls smtpd extensions but no way, no results.

For Евгений Шишкин, now the mailbox_size_limit is more great than the
message_size_limit, but is not that the problem.


Tnx,

Cla.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Noel Jones-2
Claudio Prono wrote:

> Brian Collins ha scritto:
>>> No wait, u don't have understanded the situation. Domain.it is a server
>>> built by me, for a Client. The config of Postfix i have posted is the
>>> config of the mail.domain.it. And is him refusing the "too big" mail. I
>>> have access to both the configuration of the two servers, the sender
>>> and the reciever. But the problem persists.
>>>    
>>
>> Ok, so in your mail log you should see evidence of this.  Look for "size
>> limit" in your mail log.
>>
>> Additionally, for sanity, post the output of:
>> postconf -n | egrep size_limit
>>
>> --Brian
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>  
> that is postconf -n:
>
> mail:~ # postconf -n | egrep size_limit
> header_size_limit = 10240000
> mailbox_size_limit = 170240000
> message_size_limit = 70240000
>
> I have raised the mailbox_size_limit to 170240000, but no way, the
> message is not accepted.
>
> If i grep "size limit" in mail logs i have no results in all the logs in
> /var/log. The only log i have of that operation is that:
>
> Jun 5 22:19:16 mail postfix/smtpd[6620]: connect from
> mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.xx.xx]
> Jun 5 22:19:17 mail postfix/smtpd[6620]: lost connection after EHLO from
> mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.xx.xx]
> Jun 5 22:19:17 mail postfix/smtpd[6620]: disconnect from
> mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.xx.xx]
>
> Why connection lost after EHLO? What can be??
> I have tryied also to disable tls smtpd extensions but no way, no results.
>
> For Евгений Шишкин, now the mailbox_size_limit is more great than the
> message_size_limit, but is not that the problem.
>
>
> Tnx,
>
> Cla.
>

Lost connection eh?  That's all that's logged?  You're sure
this entry is for the transaction that failed?

Then postfix never received the mail and is not responsible
for the returned mail.  Look elsewhere for the cause.  Maybe a
proxy or firewall in front of postfix?

--
Noel Jones

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by Claudio Prono
Claudio Prono:
> that is postconf -n:
>
> mail:~ # postconf -n | egrep size_limit
> header_size_limit = 10240000
> mailbox_size_limit = 170240000
> message_size_limit = 70240000

What size is announced by the SMTP server?

    $ telnet server.host.name 25
    220 server.host.name ESMTP Postfix
    ehlo client.host.name
    250-bristle.watson.ibm.com
    250-PIPELINING
    250-SIZE ????????
    250-VRFY
    250-ETRN
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-8BITMIME
    250 DSN

What is shown in the place of the ??????

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
In reply to this post by Noel Jones-2


Noel Jones ha scritto:

> Claudio Prono wrote:
>> Brian Collins ha scritto:
>>>> No wait, u don't have understanded the situation. Domain.it is a
>>>> server
>>>> built by me, for a Client. The config of Postfix i have posted is the
>>>> config of the mail.domain.it. And is him refusing the "too big"
>>>> mail. I
>>>> have access to both the configuration of the two servers, the sender
>>>> and the reciever. But the problem persists.
>>>>    
>>>
>>> Ok, so in your mail log you should see evidence of this.  Look for
>>> "size
>>> limit" in your mail log.
>>>
>>> Additionally, for sanity, post the output of:
>>> postconf -n | egrep size_limit
>>>
>>> --Brian
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>  
>> that is postconf -n:
>>
>> mail:~ # postconf -n | egrep size_limit
>> header_size_limit = 10240000
>> mailbox_size_limit = 170240000
>> message_size_limit = 70240000
>>
>> I have raised the mailbox_size_limit to 170240000, but no way, the
>> message is not accepted.
>>
>> If i grep "size limit" in mail logs i have no results in all the logs
>> in /var/log. The only log i have of that operation is that:
>>
>> Jun 5 22:19:16 mail postfix/smtpd[6620]: connect from
>> mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.xx.xx]
>> Jun 5 22:19:17 mail postfix/smtpd[6620]: lost connection after EHLO
>> from mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.xx.xx]
>> Jun 5 22:19:17 mail postfix/smtpd[6620]: disconnect from
>> mail2.mydomain.net[213.254.xx.xx]
>>
>> Why connection lost after EHLO? What can be??
>> I have tryied also to disable tls smtpd extensions but no way, no
>> results.
>>
>> For Евгений Шишкин, now the mailbox_size_limit is more great than the
>> message_size_limit, but is not that the problem.
>>
>>
>> Tnx,
>>
>> Cla.
>>
>
> Lost connection eh?  That's all that's logged?  You're sure this entry
> is for the transaction that failed?
>
> Then postfix never received the mail and is not responsible for the
> returned mail.  Look elsewhere for the cause.  Maybe a proxy or
> firewall in front of postfix?
>

Exact, i start to think the problem is the firewall in front (a
watchguard). Tomorrow i will contact the responsable of the firewalling
system and i must see. The log is all there, no more and no less. I have
checked it with a tail -f /var/log/mail and nothing more is in the log.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
In reply to this post by Wietse Venema
Wietse Venema ha scritto:

> Claudio Prono:
>  
>> that is postconf -n:
>>
>> mail:~ # postconf -n | egrep size_limit
>> header_size_limit = 10240000
>> mailbox_size_limit = 170240000
>> message_size_limit = 70240000
>>    
>
> What size is announced by the SMTP server?
>
>     $ telnet server.host.name 25
>     220 server.host.name ESMTP Postfix
>     ehlo client.host.name
>     250-bristle.watson.ibm.com
>     250-PIPELINING
>     250-SIZE ????????
>     250-VRFY
>     250-ETRN
>     250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>     250-8BITMIME
>     250 DSN
>
> What is shown in the place of the ??????
>
> Wietse
>
>
>
>  

That is the size:

telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.domain.it ESMTP Postfix
ehlo domain.it
250-mail.mottura.it
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 70240000
250-ETRN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

Here the size is correct.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Noel Jones-2
In reply to this post by Claudio Prono
Claudio Prono wrote:

>
>
> Noel Jones ha scritto:
>>
>> Lost connection eh?  That's all that's logged?  You're sure this entry
>> is for the transaction that failed?
>>
>> Then postfix never received the mail and is not responsible for the
>> returned mail.  Look elsewhere for the cause.  Maybe a proxy or
>> firewall in front of postfix?
>>
>
> Exact, i start to think the problem is the firewall in front (a
> watchguard). Tomorrow i will contact the responsable of the firewalling
> system and i must see. The log is all there, no more and no less. I have
> checked it with a tail -f /var/log/mail and nothing more is in the log.


Have your firewall guy turn off the smtp proxy feature of the
watchguard.  It's not needed with postfix.

And try Wietse's telnet test from the sending system, not
localhost.

--
Noel Jones
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by Claudio Prono
Claudio Prono:

> telnet localhost 25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mail.domain.it ESMTP Postfix
> ehlo domain.it
> 250-mail.mottura.it
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-SIZE 70240000
> 250-ETRN
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250 DSN
>
> Here the size is correct.

Now you need to type the same commands from the machine that
reports the wrong message size limit.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Strange problem with postfix and message_size_limit

Claudio Prono
Wietse Venema ha scritto:

> Claudio Prono:
>  
>> telnet localhost 25
>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>> Connected to localhost.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 mail.domain.it ESMTP Postfix
>> ehlo domain.it
>> 250-mail.mottura.it
>> 250-PIPELINING
>> 250-SIZE 70240000
>> 250-ETRN
>> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>> 250-8BITMIME
>> 250 DSN
>>
>> Here the size is correct.
>>    
>
> Now you need to type the same commands from the machine that
> reports the wrong message size limit.
>
> Wietse
>
>
>
>  

That is strange: from localhost the output is different than from
remote. Look:

root@fw[~]: telnet mail.domain.it 25
Trying 82.186.155.227...
Connected to mail.mottura.it.
Escape character is '^]'.
e220 SMTP service ready
^R
ehlo mydomain.it
250-Requested mail action okay, completed
250-SIZE 3072000
250-ETRN
250 8BITMIME

note that ^R char, si going out from remote, not from me... and size is
3072000....

What can be? A smtp proxy? mmm i think i have the response right? :)

Cheers,

Cla.




12