Suggested version for upgrade

Gabriele Bulfon
Hi,

I'm using Postfix 2.7.1 for some years now on our systems, built around our XStreamOS / illumos distro.

I'm considering to upgrade Postfix to a more recent version.
What is the best upgrade path I should choose?
Should I really consider to upgrade directly to latest (3.2.2) or maybe start by upgrading to 2.11.x?
What is my best option, keeping all my current configuration files untouched as a start?

Thanks for any help!

Gabriele

Re: Suggested version for upgrade

Noel Jones-2
On 8/29/2017 3:58 AM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Postfix 2.7.1 for some years now on our systems, built
> around our XStreamOS / illumos distro.
>
> I'm considering to upgrade Postfix to a more recent version.
> What is the best upgrade path I should choose?
> Should I really consider to upgrade directly to latest (3.2.2) or
> maybe start by upgrading to 2.11.x?
> What is my best option, keeping all my current configuration files
> untouched as a start?

The canonical answer is to read the docs.  ;)

It should be safe to upgrade directly to the latest version. Using
the latest version will give you the best support and all the
current features. Postfix goes to great lengths to not break
existing installations when you upgrade, but you should read *all*
the release notes to see if any of the special cases apply to you.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:58:08AM +0200, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:

> I'm using Postfix 2.7.1 for some years now on our systems, built around our XStreamOS / illumos distro.
> I'm considering to upgrade Postfix to a more recent version.
> What is the best upgrade path I should choose?

See:

    https://github.com/vdukhovni/postfix/blob/master/postfix/RELEASE_NOTES-2.8
    https://github.com/vdukhovni/postfix/blob/master/postfix/RELEASE_NOTES-2.9
    https://github.com/vdukhovni/postfix/blob/master/postfix/RELEASE_NOTES-2.10
    https://github.com/vdukhovni/postfix/blob/master/postfix/RELEASE_NOTES-2.11
    https://github.com/vdukhovni/postfix/blob/master/postfix/RELEASE_NOTES-3.0
    https://github.com/vdukhovni/postfix/blob/master/postfix/RELEASE_NOTES-3.1
    https://github.com/vdukhovni/postfix/blob/master/postfix/RELEASE_NOTES-3.2

> Should I really consider to upgrade directly to latest (3.2.2) or maybe start
> by upgrading to 2.11.x?

The 3.0 release mostly only affects distribution maintainers as
the build and packaging details change in support of shared libraries
and dynamically loadable maps.  Otherwise, user-visible changes are
minor, and backwards incompatible changes are subject to the
"compatibility_level" setting.  See the release notes.

Therefore, I would not suggest stopping at 2.11, but only you can
determine whether some changes in a later release are unexpectedly
a problem for you.  As much as possible, Postfix remains backwards
compatible.