Support for "Linux 5"

Scott Kitterman-4
I understand that the next Linux release will have a major version of 5.  This
doesn't portend any technical changes.  As has happened the last few times
linux 5 should be no different than 4 which was no different than 3.

It looks to me like the postfix 3.4 makedefs still have:

 Linux.[34].*) SYSTYPE=LINUX$RELEASE_MAJOR

Is it too late to add 5?

Scott K

Re: Support for "Linux 5"

Wietse Venema
Scott Kitterman:
> I understand that the next Linux release will have a major version of 5.  This
> doesn't portend any technical changes.  As has happened the last few times
> linux 5 should be no different than 4 which was no different than 3.
>
> It looks to me like the postfix 3.4 makedefs still have:
>
>  Linux.[34].*) SYSTYPE=LINUX$RELEASE_MAJOR
>
> Is it too late to add 5?

What distribution runs Linux 5 kernels? I would like to do a smoke
test for due diligence (does it build and run).

Re: Support for "Linux 5"

Scott Kitterman-4
Debian doesn't have it in the distro yet, but I can ask the reporter to verify it works.

There's no technical driver behind the version bump, so it might be best to consider such checks obsolete for Linux.

If there are new features introduced that need to be supported by specific changes in makedefs, they are going to have to be tied to a specific version (like epoll in Linux 2).  I don't think the major version will be a useful distinction.

Scott K

On February 17, 2019 3:41:47 PM UTC, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Scott Kitterman:
>> I understand that the next Linux release will have a major version of
>5.  This
>> doesn't portend any technical changes.  As has happened the last few
>times
>> linux 5 should be no different than 4 which was no different than 3.
>>
>> It looks to me like the postfix 3.4 makedefs still have:
>>
>>  Linux.[34].*) SYSTYPE=LINUX$RELEASE_MAJOR
>>
>> Is it too late to add 5?
>
>What distribution runs Linux 5 kernels? I would like to do a smoke
>test for due diligence (does it build and run).
>
> Wietse

Re: Support for "Linux 5"

Scott Kitterman-4
It (3.3.2, since that's what's in Debian) builds and runs with the attached
patches using the Linux 5.0 kernel.

Scott K

wrote:

> >Scott Kitterman:
> >> I understand that the next Linux release will have a major version of
> >
> >5.  This
> >
> >> doesn't portend any technical changes.  As has happened the last few
> >
> >times
> >
> >> linux 5 should be no different than 4 which was no different than 3.
> >>
> >> It looks to me like the postfix 3.4 makedefs still have:
> >>  Linux.[34].*) SYSTYPE=LINUX$RELEASE_MAJOR
> >>
> >> Is it too late to add 5?
> >
> >What distribution runs Linux 5 kernels? I would like to do a smoke
> >test for due diligence (does it build and run).
> >
> > Wietse

sys_defs.h.diff (463 bytes) Download Attachment
makedefs.diff (362 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Support for "Linux 5"

Peter Ajamian
On 18/02/19 04:41, Wietse Venema wrote:
> What distribution runs Linux 5 kernels? I would like to do a smoke
> test for due diligence (does it build and run).

Fedora Rawhide is on 5.0.0

Peter

Re: Support for "Linux 5"

Bjoern Franke

> What distribution runs Linux 5 kernels? I would like to do a smoke
> test for due diligence (does it build and run).

Arch Linux will have Linux 5 when the kernel comes out.

Bjoern

Re: Support for "Linux 5"

Ralph Seichter-2
* Wietse Venema:

> What distribution runs Linux 5 kernels? I would like to do a smoke
> test for due diligence (does it build and run).

Gentoo Linux makes new kernels available as un-stable (*) flagged
ebuilds as soon as the kernels are officially released.

-Ralph

(*) The mailing list filter won't let me send this adjective without
a dash. :-P