Suspending outgoing smtp temporary

Rajkumar S-3
Hi,

How can I suspend postfix delivering mails to external domains
temporary? Postfix must accept mails to other destinations but not
deliver them till it's told to.

raj

Re: Suspending outgoing smtp temporary

Magnus Bäck
On Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 07:06 CET,
     Rajkumar S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can I suspend postfix delivering mails to external domains
> temporary? Postfix must accept mails to other destinations but
> not deliver them till it's told to.

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#defer_transports

Setting this to "smtp" should do, but it depends a little bit on the
rest of your configuration. If you use the "smtp" transport for your
content filter or for relaying to internal servers you will defer
more messages than desired.

Magnus Bäck

Re: Suspending outgoing smtp temporary

Victor Duchovni
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 07:18:32AM +0100, Magnus B?ck wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 07:06 CET,
>      Rajkumar S <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > How can I suspend postfix delivering mails to external domains
> > temporary? Postfix must accept mails to other destinations but
> > not deliver them till it's told to.
>
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#defer_transports
>
> Setting this to "smtp" should do, but it depends a little bit on the
> rest of your configuration. If you use the "smtp" transport for your
> content filter or for relaying to internal servers you will defer
> more messages than desired.

With Postfix 2.4 or later, a more fine-grained solution is:

    default_transport = retry:4.3.2 External mail temporarily unavailable

This assumes you have no transport table entries for domains that are not
yours (or are relay_domains).

Otherwise, make sure that "smtp" is only used for external email, use
"relay" for SMTP delivery to internal and relay domains, and "scan"
(or similar) for advanced content filters. Then follow the recipe Magnus
outlined.

Re: Suspending outgoing smtp temporary

Brian Evans - Postfix List

See http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#defer_transports

Brian

Re: Suspending outgoing smtp temporary

Rajkumar S-3
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Brian Evans - Postfix List
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Rajkumar S wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I suspend postfix delivering mails to external domains
>> temporary? Postfix must accept mails to other destinations but not
>> deliver them till it's told to.
>>
> See http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#defer_transports

Thanks!

raj