TLS and Avast anti-virus

brian-253
A client who uses Windows/Thunderbird is reporting the following error
when attempting to connect to her INBOX:

"TLS not supported by avast mail scanner."

I'm using Postfix with Cyrus-IMAP. I realise that this isn't really
Postfix-specific but hope that someone might know of a work-around for
this (aside from getting rid of Avast). I don't use Avast (nor Windows)
so don't really know what to do about this. Google shows very little for
this msg.

Re: TLS and Avast anti-virus

Daniel V. Reinhardt
> A client who uses Windows/Thunderbird is reporting the following error when
> attempting to connect to her INBOX:
>
> "TLS not supported by avast mail scanner."
>
> I'm using Postfix with Cyrus-IMAP. I realise that this isn't really
> Postfix-specific but hope that someone might know of a work-around for this
> (aside from getting rid of Avast). I don't use Avast (nor Windows) so don't
> really know what to do about this. Google shows very little for this msg.

I dont think it can handle Encrypted connections very well.  You may want to install windows via VMWare or another VM Environment and mess with the settings to see if it does infact support scanning of encrypted connections.

Re: TLS and Avast anti-virus

Barney Desmond
brian wrote:
> "TLS not supported by avast mail scanner."
>
> I'm using Postfix with Cyrus-IMAP. I realise that this isn't really
> Postfix-specific but hope that someone might know of a work-around for
> this (aside from getting rid of Avast). I don't use Avast (nor Windows)
> so don't really know what to do about this. Google shows very little for
> this msg.

This really isn't the right place for it, but...

* Avast is effectively trying to eavesdrop on your connection
* TLS is designed to prevent exactly this from happening
* To get around this, Avast would have to perform a man-in-the-middle
attack, or act as a proxy for your mail client. I can think of ways this
is *possible*, but it would never work in practise.

Avast should have a way to disable this behaviour ("mail scanning"), I'd
be surprised if it didn't.

Re: TLS and Avast anti-virus

John Peach-2
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:32:32 -0500
brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A client who uses Windows/Thunderbird is reporting the following error
> when attempting to connect to her INBOX:
>
> "TLS not supported by avast mail scanner."

She needs to disable mail-scanning in Avast.