Technical Clarification

Steven King-6
I am in need of a bit of clarification.

This has to do with the _destination_recipient_limit parameter = 1.

When this parameter is specified when Postfix encounters mail with
multiple recipients how does it handle the mail? Does Postfix skip the
policy check all together or does it break the message apart 1 message
per destination recipient and feed it through the policy?

I do know that after mail is queued during the clean up phase Postfix
will end up breaking up a message with multiple recipients into
individual messages.

Just not 100% sure how it all fits together.

Thanks

Steve King
Senior Linux Administrator - Liquid Web, Inc.
CompTIA Linux+ Certified Professional
CompTIA A+ Certified Professional

Re: Technical Clarification

Wietse Venema
Steven King:
> I am in need of a bit of clarification.
>
> This has to do with the _destination_recipient_limit parameter = 1.

As documented, this controls how Postfix DELIVERS mail, not how
Postfix RECEIVES mail.

default_destination_recipient_limit (default: 50)
       The default maximal number of recipients per message delivery.  This is
       the  default  limit  for delivery via the lmtp(8), pipe(8), smtp(8) and
       virtual(8) delivery agents.

       Setting this parameter to a value of 1 changes the meaning of the  cor-
       responding  per-destination  concurrency  limit  from  concurrency  per
       domain into concurrency per recipient.

> When this parameter is specified when Postfix encounters mail with
> multiple recipients how does it handle the mail? Does Postfix skip the
> policy check all together or does it break the message apart 1 message
> per destination recipient and feed it through the policy?

As documented, the policy delegation protocol controls how Postfix
RECEIVES mail, not how Postfix DELIVERS mail.

        Wietse