Test 2

Dirk Moolman-2
Sorry for the tests - my 1st test mail went through (with no body), but
my other e-mails were all rejected - doing some troubleshooting

[Previous body - with modifications, removing special chars]

Error:  five five zero   "unable to relay"

My mail seem to be rejecting - let's try  without the full error
message, will supply the core of it.

I have to Linux servers at a client.  They are set up exactly the same,
but on the 1 the mail goes through (external), and on the other one I
get the error below (error now removed from body).

Is there something in my
config that I can do to let the mail go through, or must the admin of
the relay server set up a rule to allow me to send mail through his
relay server ?

*** Disclaimer ***

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and legally privileged and is intended solely for the addressee and to others who have the authority to receive it. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized and as such, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on it is unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately.

The views expressed in this e-mail are the views of the individual sender and should in no way be construed as the views of the Company.

The Company is not liable to ensure that outgoing e-mails are virus-free.

The Company is not liable, should information or data, for whatever reason, be corrupted or fail to reach its intended addressee.

The Company is not liable for any loss or damage of whatsoever nature and howsoever arising resulting from the opening or the use of the information in this e-mail, including its attachments and links.

The sender of this e-mail is subject to and bound by the terms and conditions of Company+IBk-s Electronic Communications Usage Policy.

Re: Test 2

mouss-2
Dirk Moolman wrote:

> Sorry for the tests - my 1st test mail went through (with no body), but
> my other e-mails were all rejected - doing some troubleshooting
>

> [Previous body - with modifications, removing special chars]
>
> Error:  five five zero   "unable to relay"
>
> My mail seem to be rejecting - let's try  without the full error
> message, will supply the core of it.
>

> I have to Linux servers at a client.  They are set up exactly the same,
> but on the 1 the mail goes through (external), and on the other one I
> get the error below (error now removed from body).
>
> Is there something in my
> config that I can do to let the mail go through, or must the admin of
> the relay server set up a rule to allow me to send mail through his
> relay server ?

http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG+AF8-README.html+ACM-mail

PS. and please chose a better subject. Many people skip messages with a
subject of "testing" and "test+ACo-". such messages even get their sender
unsubscribed...

and if you can remove the disclaimer (or at least make it shorter), that
would be wonderful ;-p

Error 550: unable to relay

Dirk Moolman-2
Please bear with me, I am a newbie with mailing and postfix

Error:  five five zero   "unable to relay"

I have two Linux servers at a client.  They are set up exactly the same,
but on the 1 the mail goes through (to external addresses), and on the
other one I get the error 550: unable to relay

Is there something in my config that I can do to let the mail go
through, or must the admin of the relay server change something on his
side to allow me to send mail through his relay server ?

Dirk

Apologies for the disclaimer as well.    My mail goes through my work
address, and the disclaimer gets added by our exchange server.

==

[...]

Re: Error 550: unable to relay

Victor Duchovni
On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 05:43:32PM +0200, Dirk Moolman wrote:

> Please bear with me, I am a newbie with mailing and postfix
>

> Error:  five five zero   "unable to relay"

Not a very faithful rendition of the logging. Perhaps you can post the
actual, complete log messages that pertain to the problem (not translated
into igpay atinlay :-).

> Is there something in my config that I can do to let the mail go
> through, or must the admin of the relay server change something on his
> side to allow me to send mail through his relay server ?

RE: Error 550: unable to relay

Dirk Moolman-2

Yes, I tried to copy and paste the error into the mail, but the list
rejects my mail if I send it with the exact error message.

Let me try again in the next mail ...

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 06:14:57PM +0200, Dirk Moolman wrote:

> [...]

Is it "the list" or poorly thought out "body_checks" regexps on your
own system? I have seen no evidence of the list rejecting log entries.
The only thing you might have trouble with is the word:

    u n s u b s c r i b e

Majordomo is configure to reject posts that look like misdirected requests
to leave the list, and the patterns for this are prone to false positives.
Otherwise your posts should get through.

Re: Error 550: unable to relay

Victor Duchovni
On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 06:16:50PM +0200, Dirk Moolman wrote:

> From the log file I get:
>
> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/pickup[15791]: 3A164122:
> uid=0 from=<root>
> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/cleanup[15857]: 3A164122:
> message-id=<[hidden email]>
> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/qmgr[15792]: 3A164122:
> from=<[hidden email]>, size=437, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
>
> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/smtp[15859]: 3A164122:
> to=<[hidden email]>,
> relay=172.20.64.142[172.20.64.142], delay=0, status=bounced
> (host 172.20.64.142[172.20.64.142] said:
> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [hidden email]

You have in your configuration (i.e. "postconf -n", which you still have
not posted for some reason), either:

        relayhost=[128.20.64.142]

or one of:

        relay_transport = smtp:[128.20.64.142]
        relay_transport = relay:[128.20.64.142]

or

    main.cf:

    transport:
    agilitytech.co.za relay:[128.20.64.142]

or something along these lines.

The domain "agilitytech.co.za" is not configured for local delivery.
The relayhost you have configured is not accepting mail for this domain.
So, you must not route mail for this domain to that host. Postfix did
not choose this relay for you by default. Your configuration explicitly
overrides default routing to cause this. Fix your (mystery) configuration.

> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/cleanup[15857]: 567C8128:
> message-id=<[hidden email]>
> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/qmgr[15792]: 567C8128:
> from=<>, size=2332, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/qmgr[15792]: 3A164122:
        removed
> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/local[15861]: 567C8128:
> to=<[hidden email]>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent
> (delivered to mailbox)
> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/qmgr[15792]: 567C8128: removed

The bounce is delivered, because the domain "cwpbmdb2.linux.co.za"
is configured for local delivery.

Re: Test 2

Gerard Seibert-5
On Thu, 08 May 2008 17:09:09 +0200
mouss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> and if you can remove the disclaimer (or at least make it shorter),
> that would be wonderful ;-p

I vote for removing it. It is virtually legally unenforceable anyway.

--
Gerard

The Army needs leaders the way a foot needs a big toe.

        Bill Murray

RE: Error 550: unable to relay

Dirk Moolman-2
>On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 06:16:50PM +-0200, Dirk Moolman wrote:
>
>> From the log file I get:
>>
>> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/pickup[15791]: 3A164122:
>>      uid=0 from=<root>
>> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/cleanup[15857]: 3A164122:
>>      message-id=<[hidden email]>
>> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/qmgr[15792]: 3A164122:
>>      from=<[hidden email]>, size=437, nrcpt=1 (queue
active)

>> May  8 13:35:21 cwpbmdb2 postfix/smtp[15859]: 3A164122:
>>      to=<[hidden email]>,
>>      relay=172.20.64.142[172.20.64.142], delay=0, status=bounced
>>      (host 172.20.64.142[172.20.64.142] said:
>>      550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [hidden email]

>You have in your configuration (i.e. "postconf -n", which you still
have not posted for some reason), either:

>       relayhost=[128.20.64.142]
>
>or one of:
>
>       relay_transport = smtp:[128.20.64.142]
>       relay_transport = relay:[128.20.64.142]
>
>or
>
>    main.cf:
>       transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
>
>    transport:
>    agilitytech.co.za relay:[128.20.64.142]
>
>or something along these lines.
>
>The domain "agilitytech.co.za" is not configured for local delivery.
>The relayhost you have configured is not accepting mail for this
domain.
>So, you must not route mail for this domain to that host. Postfix did
not choose this relay for you by default. Your configuration explicitly
overrides default routing to cause this. Fix your (mystery)
configuration.

Yes, you are right, the following is set in the main.cf:

relayhost=[128.20.64.142]

Must a change be made on the relay server, or is there something I can
do on my side to allow these mails to go through ?

postconf -n
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
content_filter =
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
defer_transports =
disable_dns_lookups = no
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/html
inet_interfaces = all
mail_owner = postfix
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
mailbox_command =
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mailbox_transport =
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
masquerade_domains =
masquerade_exceptions = root
message_size_limit = 10240000
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, NHA.co.za, localhost
myhostname = cwpbmdb2.linux.co.za
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/README_FILES
relayhost = [172.20.64.142]
relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/samples
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = maildrop
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtp_use_tls = no
smtpd_client_restrictions =
smtpd_helo_required = no
smtpd_helo_restrictions =
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
smtpd_use_tls = no
strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:51:49AM +0200, Dirk Moolman wrote:

> >The domain "agilitytech.co.za" is not configured for local delivery.
> >The relayhost you have configured is not accepting mail for this domain.
> >So, you must not route mail for this domain to that host. Postfix did
> >not choose this relay for you by default. Your configuration explicitly
> >overrides default routing to cause this. Fix your (mystery)
> >configuration.
>
> Yes, you are right, the following is set in the main.cf:
>
> relayhost=[128.20.64.142]

Actually it is [172.20.64.142], which is an RFC 1918 private address,
somewhere on your network. I am not psychic and have no idea which
domains it is responsible for and whether it is a suitable *outbound* relay.

If you only want *inbound* mail to go there, set.

        relay_transport = relay:[172.20.64.142]

NOT

        relayhost = [172.20.64.142]

and add the apppriate domains to "relay_domains".

> Must a change be made on the relay server, or is there something I can
> do on my side to allow these mails to go through ?

I am not psychic. What is the right outbound relay for your system? Where
are the mailboxes for the (agilitytech.co.za) domain stored? Is this your
domain or someone else's?

> postconf -n
> mailbox_size_limit = 0

    Unwise. Choose a sensible limit.

> masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
> masquerade_domains =
> masquerade_exceptions = root

Unnecessary with an empty masquerade list (which is good).

> relayhost = [172.20.64.142]

See above.

> sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical

Don't use this. Use smtp_generic_maps where appropriate.

> setgid_group = maildrop

Is this a Postfix-only group? These days "postdrop" is preferred to make
that more clear.

> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
> permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination

Not too much by way of anti-spam... Is this system handing mail from
the Internet?

> smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access

Do describe your problem in more detail. What role does your system
play. What is the role of the relayhost, which domains are yours,
which external, ...