The AUTH parameter on MAIL commands

Jacky
Hi,

Want to set up a dovecot submission server and which will act as a proxy
in front of a postfix server.

When users deliver email via the dovecot submission proxy, it will
authenticate users and deliver mail to postfix submission service.

The dovecot submission service support AUTH parameter with the MAIL
command (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4954#section-5) and will send
the parameter during the connection of the postfix submission server.

But it seems that postfix ignored the parameter and treats all users as
unauthenticated.

Does anyone know how to configure postfix to accept the AUTH parameter?

Found doc from google search, but it is for exim only
(https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-smtp_authentication.html#SECTauthparamail)

Regards,

Jacky

Re: The AUTH parameter on MAIL commands

Wietse Venema
Jacky:

> Hi,
>
> Want to set up a dovecot submission server and which will act as a proxy
> in front of a postfix server.
>
> When users deliver email via the dovecot submission proxy, it will
> authenticate users and deliver mail to postfix submission service.
>
> The dovecot submission service support AUTH parameter with the MAIL
> command (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4954#section-5) and will send
> the parameter during the connection of the postfix submission server.
>
> But it seems that postfix ignored the parameter and treats all users as
> unauthenticated.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure postfix to accept the AUTH parameter?

Not documented, therefore not supported. The RFC for that protocol
does not require that the SMTP server uses the AUTH=sender parameter.

> Found doc from google search, but it is for exim only
> (https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-smtp_authentication.html#SECTauthparamail)

AUTH=sender has not been necessary in Postfix so it is not
yet implemented.

Re: The AUTH parameter on MAIL commands

Jacky
Hi Wietse,

Thank you for the information.

Just wonder that will Postfix support the Message Submission BURL Extension?

Thanks,

Jacky

On 10/1/2019 8:22 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Jacky:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Want to set up a dovecot submission server and which will act as a proxy
>> in front of a postfix server.
>>
>> When users deliver email via the dovecot submission proxy, it will
>> authenticate users and deliver mail to postfix submission service.
>>
>> The dovecot submission service support AUTH parameter with the MAIL
>> command (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4954#section-5) and will send
>> the parameter during the connection of the postfix submission server.
>>
>> But it seems that postfix ignored the parameter and treats all users as
>> unauthenticated.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to configure postfix to accept the AUTH parameter?
> Not documented, therefore not supported. The RFC for that protocol
> does not require that the SMTP server uses the AUTH=sender parameter.
>
>> Found doc from google search, but it is for exim only
>> (https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-smtp_authentication.html#SECTauthparamail)
> AUTH=sender has not been necessary in Postfix so it is not
> yet implemented.
>
> Wietse

Re: The AUTH parameter on MAIL commands

Wietse Venema
Jacky:
> Hi Wietse,
>
> Thank you for the information.
>
> Just wonder that will Postfix support the Message Submission BURL Extension?

Possibly. See my other post on that subject. BURL does not
require changes to Postfix's AUTH= support.

        Wietse