Timeouts when submitting mail

Stijn van der Ree
We've set up two servers (ssd raid/64GB/fast dual cpu) with postmulti to deliver the mail for our newsletter service (legitimate mail). Both servers have 12 postfix instances running. Mails is injected from php scripts running at a different server.

Lately we're seeing timeouts from the php scripts at busy moments. I've been trying to debug this, but can't find the issue. Some information:

- Mail is injected through smtp, port 25
- The active queue is almost empty, even at peak moments (qshape)
- Number of deferred mails is low
- I've set default_process_limit to 10000 and smtpd_client_connection_count_limit to 3000
- Load on the servers is never higher then 2
- Number of smtp processes peaks at about 2000
- We're running local DNS
- We're using opendkim to sign every message

What can I do to find the reason for the timeouts?

Thanks.

Re: Timeouts when submitting mail

Wietse Venema
svdr:
> What can I do to find the reason for the timeouts?

You need to find out where in the SMTP protocol the timeout happens.

- TCP connection setup.

- SMTP Server '220' initial response.

- EHLO, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO, DATA, end-of-data.

Ideally, the PHP client would provide that information.

Postfix logging will show 'lost connection after XXX', but that
happens only for a completed TCP connection.

Re: Timeouts when submitting mail

Stijn van der Ree
Thanks for answering. The timeouts happened because postfix was waiting for
opendkim. Changing the socket from tcp to unix domainsockets solved this,
almost: at busy moments postfix now logs:

telemann postfix-13/smtpd[28087]: warning: connect to Milter service
unix:/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.sock: Resource temporarily unavailable

And opendkim says:

opendkim[3963]: OpenDKIM Filter: accept() returned invalid socket (Numerical
result out of range), try again

Is postfix requesting something invalid, or is this a problem with opendkim?

Thanks again.

Re: Timeouts when submitting mail

Wietse Venema
Stijn van der Ree:

> Thanks for answering. The timeouts happened because postfix was waiting for
> opendkim. Changing the socket from tcp to unix domainsockets solved this,
> almost: at busy moments postfix now logs:
>
> telemann postfix-13/smtpd[28087]: warning: connect to Milter service
> unix:/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.sock: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> And opendkim says:
>
> opendkim[3963]: OpenDKIM Filter: accept() returned invalid socket (Numerical
> result out of range), try again
>
> Is postfix requesting something invalid, or is this a problem with opendkim?

Enter the error message into a search engine.

Look at the results.

http://lists.elandsys.com/archive/opendkim/users/2014/03/3111.html

        Wietse