Transport Mapping

Seelke, Eddie
I have a VPS setup that is running two websites. I am using Virtualmin
to manage these two sites.

On deluxetech.com, I have WHMCS installed and am using Google Apps for
email. I have Google Apps setup so that any email not recognized is
automatically forwarded to the smtp of this vps server. I have about
10 email addresses setup in WHMCS's ticketing system. All of these
emails are coming through fine. WHMCS is also sending out the response
to the user.

However, the problem I am having is that [hidden email] is not
being redirected to Google Apps. I have setup my email address in
Transport Mapping under Postfix in Webmin. But, I get the following
error:

Admin Email Notification Sending Failed - SMTP Error: The following
recipients failed: [hidden email]
SMTP server error: 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
virtual alias table

I have my Transport Mapping as:
[hidden email] smtp:deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com.

I am pretty sure the issue has to do with the fact that Postfix is not
reading the transport mapping before the virtual aliases, but I cannot
figure out how to do that. If possible, I would prefer the smtp server
to redirect any [hidden email] user to Google Apps.

Thanks for any help that you can provide,
Eddie

------------------------------------------postconf
-n----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
fallback_transport = hash:/etc/postfix/fallback_transport
home_mailbox = Maildir/
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps $transport_maps
mail_owner = postfix
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
node1.deluxetech.com
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_canonical
relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/bcc
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
permit_sasl_authenticated reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

Re: Transport Mapping

Daniel Bromberg
On 3/1/2011 11:13 PM, Seelke, Eddie wrote:

> I have a VPS setup that is running two websites. I am using Virtualmin
> to manage these two sites.
>
> On deluxetech.com, I have WHMCS installed and am using Google Apps for
> email. I have Google Apps setup so that any email not recognized is
> automatically forwarded to the smtp of this vps server. I have about
> 10 email addresses setup in WHMCS's ticketing system. All of these
> emails are coming through fine. WHMCS is also sending out the response
> to the user.
>
> However, the problem I am having is that [hidden email] is not
> being redirected to Google Apps. I have setup my email address in
> Transport Mapping under Postfix in Webmin. But, I get the following
> error:
>
> Admin Email Notification Sending Failed - SMTP Error: The following
> recipients failed: [hidden email]
> SMTP server error: 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
> virtual alias table
>
> I have my Transport Mapping as:
> [hidden email] smtp:deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com.
>

> I am pretty sure the issue has to do with the fact that Postfix is not
> reading the transport mapping before the virtual aliases, but I cannot
> figure out how to do that. If possible, I would prefer the smtp server
> to redirect any [hidden email] user to Google Apps.
>
> Thanks for any help that you can provide,
> Eddie
I am confused by your question so others might be as well. Without
delving into the transports stuff which others are better to comment on,
clarify your architecture/scenario.

As background, here's your MX record (I'm only showing priority 1, the
highest):
deluxetech.com  MX preference = 1, mail exchanger =
deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com

So the *incoming* scenario is:
1) Any outsider sends an e-mail to [hidden email]
2) Their relay MTA looks up the MX record and sends it on to
deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com, the Google Apps server
3) The Google Apps server is forwarding unrecognized users' mail to your
Postfix server. This includes '[hidden email]'? Or not?
4a) If 3)->yes, then you want the e-mail to go BACK to
deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com, as per your transport table?? Creating a
routing loop?
4b) If 3)->no, then you can't expect to have any further control over
the message addressed to [hidden email], correct? It just stays in
Google Mail storage.

Or are you referring to an entirely different scenario? Some kind of
*outgoing* relay issue?

-Daniel

Re: Transport Mapping

Victor Duchovni
On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 10:13:50PM -0600, Seelke, Eddie wrote:

> 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

This means the recipient address domain is listed in virtual_alias_domains,
and the address was not rewritten by virtual_alias_maps into a real domain.

See http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html

> I have my Transport Mapping as:
> [hidden email] smtp:deluxetech.com.s9a1.psmtp.com.

The domain needs to be a relay, virtual mailbox, or local domain, not
a virtual alias domain.

> I am pretty sure the issue has to do with the fact that Postfix is not
> reading the transport mapping before the virtual aliases,

No. This is not the case. Rather, you don't understand the semantics of
virtual alias domains. They contain no deliverable addresses, only
aliases to deliverable addresses in *other* domains. Failure to rewrite
the recipient to a real domain cannot be worked around with transport
mappings.