Transport nexthop questions...

pete pot

Hi!

can anyone please help me to understand how the nexthop works in
the transport table when using hostnames with multiple IPs?

For instance:

 example.com      smtp:[gateway.example.com]

gateway.example.com  resolves to 3 IP addresses...

- Will Postfix try to resolve gateway.example.com for each and every email?
- What happens if one of the IPs are not responding?
- If an email goes to the Deferred queue, when later on Postfix tries to send it again, does it try with the same IP of the previous try?

Thanks,

-Pete.

Re: Transport nexthop questions...

Wietse Venema
> ?example.com????? smtp:[gateway.example.com]
>
> gateway.example.com? resolves to 3 IP addresses...
>
> - Will Postfix try to resolve gateway.example.com for each and every email?

Email message?

> - What happens if one of the IPs are not responding?

That is handled as required by the SMTP standard.

> - If an email goes to the Deferred queue, when later on Postfix
> tries to send it again, does it try with the same IP of the previous
> try?

The Postfix SMTP client does not remember IP addresses that were
tried during previous deliveries.