Trying to get VERP working with Majordomo

Trying to get VERP working with Majordomo

Norton Allen

I have had a Majordomo configuration working for years (with help from this list getting the aliases configured). Lately I have been receiving more and more bounce messages from Exchange servers that do not identify the intended recipient, so I am hoping to implement VERP, at least temporarily, in order to sort out which addresses need to be dropped from my lists.

The problem I am running into now is that where I was hoping to get the envelope sender to appear as:

abcd-test-errs+user=userdomain@listdomain
instead, I am getting:
abcd-test-errs+abcd-test-abcd-mj-outgoing@listdomain
What am I missing?

I believe the relevant configuration details are:

list: abcd-test@listdomain
list sender: abcd-test-errs@listdomain

main.cf:

virtual_alias_maps   =   hash:$config_directory/abcd.lists
alias_maps = hash:$config_directory/abcd.lists.local
recipient_delimiter = +
default_verp_delimiters = +=
disable_verp_bounces = no
smtpd_authorized_verp_clients = $mynetworks # Can I set this to 'localhost'?
verp_delimiter_filter = -=+

abcd.lists:

abcd-test@domain abcd-test-abcd-mj-incoming
abcd.lists.local:
abcd-test-abcd-mj-incoming: "|/usr/bin/sudo -u majordomo /opt/majordomo/resend -C /etc/opt/majordomo/abcd-verp.cf -l abcd-test abcd-test-abcd-mj-outgoing"
abcd-test-abcd-mj-outgoing: :include:/var/opt/majordomo/lists/abcd/abcd-test
abcd-verp.cf:
# $sendmail_command -- Pathname to the sendmail program
$sendmail_command = "/usr/sbin/sendmail";

# $mailer -- What program and args do I use to send mail to the list?
# $bounce_mailer -- What is used to send mail anywhere else?
$mailer = "$sendmail_command -XV -oi -f\$sender";
$bounce_mailer = "$sendmail_command -oi -f\$sender -t";

Re: Trying to get VERP working with Majordomo

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Feb 4, 2018, at 3:33 PM, Norton Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> abcd.lists.local:
> abcd-test-abcd-mj-incoming: "|/usr/bin/sudo -u majordomo /opt/majordomo/resend -C /etc/opt/majordomo/abcd-verp.cf -l abcd-test abcd-test-abcd-mj-outgoing"
> abcd-test-abcd-mj-outgoing: :include:/var/opt/majordomo/lists/abcd/abcd-test

Your problem is likely here.  VERP support requires the MLM to
expand the list itself, before handing it off to Postfix.
The VERP processing happens in the queue manager before the
message is handed off to the local delivery agent, so the
only recipient that's seen at that time is:

        abcd-test-abcd-mj-outgoing