Understanding transport tables

Alex Regan
Hi,
I've succeeded in getting multiple instances configured correctly, but
I'm realizing I need more than just sending everything through the
$default_transport, particularly for my local $always_bcc user.

Currently $mydestination is not set for the instance I'm working with,
but instead everything is being sent to amavis:

mydestination =
default_transport = smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024
local_transport = error:5.1.1 Mailbox unavailable
relay_domains = $mydestination, mycompany.com
virtual_transport = $default_transport
transport_maps =

I don't have any virtual domains, and instead I'm just using transport
maps, although I'm wondering if that would provide greater flexibility
in terms of where email is delivered.

This is being driven by amavis thinking our always_bcc user is not
being delivered locally when it is. mail01.mycompany.com is the host
associated with this postfix-117 instance.

Nov 18 12:41:27 xavier amavis[727089]: (727089-06-2) Open relay?
Nonlocal recips but not originating: [hidden email]

The postconf(5) manual for local_transport says I should be careful
about redefining (overloading?) the local transport from master.cf, so
I was hoping someone could guide me on the best way to do this.

Maybe I should leave $default_transport alone and define
$relay_transport to instead use smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024?

Re: Understanding transport tables

Viktor Dukhovni
On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:58:03PM -0500, Alex wrote:

> I've succeeded in getting multiple instances configured correctly, but
> I'm realizing I need more than just sending everything through the
> $default_transport, particularly for my local $always_bcc user.
>
> Currently $mydestination is not set for the instance I'm working with,
> but instead everything is being sent to amavis:

The same thing as would happen if you were using a single instance with
content_filter.  Yes, with multiple instances you can route some mail
around the filter, but it is generally simpler to not do that.

> This is being driven by amavis thinking our always_bcc user is not
> being delivered locally when it is. mail01.mycompany.com is the host
> associated with this postfix-117 instance.
>
> Nov 18 12:41:27 xavier amavis[727089]: (727089-06-2) Open relay?
> Nonlocal recips but not originating: [hidden email]

"postfix-117" does not mean anything to me, but what you're describing
sounds like an amavis configuration issue.  Configure amavis to not
object to the recipient in question (or any recipients for that matter,
it should generally not be second-guessing your Postfix configuration).