Unexpected queue file write error

Jesper Dybdal-2
Can "Error: queue file write error" mean anything other than a problem
with the queue file?

Or does it perhaps actually come from amavis?

I am suddenly getting lots of these.  The thing I've change is the
internet connection (a new faster connection), but nothing at all is
changed with the file permissions and there is lots of room on the disk.

Postfix 3.1.12 (Debian Stretch).

A slightly edited session transcript is shown below.

Thanks,
Jesper Dybdal

> Transcript of session follows.
>   Out: 220 nuser.dybdal.dk ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
>   In:  EHLO mail-oi1-f178.google.com
>   Out: 250-nuser.dybdal.dk
>   Out: 250-PIPELINING
>   Out: 250-SIZE 52428800
>   Out: 250-VRFY
>   Out: 250-STARTTLS
>   Out: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>   Out: 250-8BITMIME
>   Out: 250 DSN
>   In:  STARTTLS
>   Out: 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
>   In:  EHLO mail-oi1-f178.google.com
>   Out: 250-nuser.dybdal.dk
>   Out: 250-PIPELINING
>   Out: 250-SIZE 52428800
>   Out: 250-VRFY
>   Out: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>   Out: 250-8BITMIME
>   Out: 250 DSN
>   In:  MAIL FROM:<******@gmail.com>  SIZE=5081
>   Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
>   In:  RCPT TO:<*****@dybdal.dk>
>   Out: 250 2.1.5 Ok
>   In:  DATA
>   Out: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
>   Out: 451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error
>   Out: 421 4.7.0 nuser.dybdal.dk Error: too many errors
>
> Session aborted, reason: too many errors

Re: Unexpected queue file write error

Wietse Venema
Jesper Dybdal:
> Can "Error: queue file write error" mean anything other than a problem
> with the queue file?

Yes. LOOK IN THE LOGS. Postfix will not reveal internal error details
in its responses to random SMTP clients.

http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging

On 2019-09-17 13:02, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Jesper Dybdal:
>> Can "Error: queue file write error" mean anything other than a problem
>> with the queue file?
> Yes. LOOK IN THE LOGS. Postfix will not reveal internal error details
> in its responses to random SMTP clients.

You're right: I had somehow overlooked"timeout talking to proxy
127.0.0.1:10024", which undoubtedly is the problem.  Port 10024 is the
pre-queue amavisd-new.

Now I just need to figure out why amavis times out.

Thanks,
Jesper Dybdal

Re: Unexpected queue file write error

Wietse Venema
Jesper Dybdal:

> On 2019-09-17 13:02, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Jesper Dybdal:
> >> Can "Error: queue file write error" mean anything other than a problem
> >> with the queue file?
> > Yes. LOOK IN THE LOGS. Postfix will not reveal internal error details
> > in its responses to random SMTP clients.
>
> You're right: I had somehow overlooked"timeout talking to proxy
> 127.0.0.1:10024", which undoubtedly is the problem.? Port 10024 is the
> pre-queue amavisd-new.
>
> Now I just need to figure out why amavis times out.

Perhaps amavisd-new is doing slow DNS lookups?

The Postfix-side time limit is covered by smtpd_proxy_timeout which
has a generous default of 100s. Increasing this may result in remote
SMTP client timeouts and duplicate deliveries as the client retries.

Re: Unexpected queue file write error

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 17.09.19 09:48, Wietse Venema wrote:
>Perhaps amavisd-new is doing slow DNS lookups?

usually much more than that.  unpacking archives, AV scanning them, checking
BAYES database...

>The Postfix-side time limit is covered by smtpd_proxy_timeout which
>has a generous default of 100s. Increasing this may result in remote
>SMTP client timeouts and duplicate deliveries as the client retries.

another option is to use amavisd-milter instead of SMTP proxy.
It also allows using other milters, while you can't use multiple proxies.

Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.

Re: Unexpected queue file write error

Wietse Venema
Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> another option is to use amavisd-milter instead of SMTP proxy.
> It also allows using other milters, while you can't use multiple proxies.

SMTP-based content filters can be combined:

postfix -smtp-> filter -smtp-> filter -smtp-> postfix

As with Milters, the running times of filters will add up.

On 18.09.19 07:05, Wietse Venema wrote:
>SMTP-based content filters can be combined:

as I understand, OP wants pre-queue filtering.  Chaining SMTP proxies would
do no good, and timeout would be the same.

>postfix -smtp-> filter -smtp-> filter -smtp-> postfix
>
>As with Milters, the running times of filters will add up.

I hope that milters get information in parallel, can you confirm?

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watkins.  -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig

Re: Unexpected queue file write error

Wietse Venema
Matus UHLAR - fantomas:

> >Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> >> another option is to use amavisd-milter instead of SMTP proxy.
> >> It also allows using other milters, while you can't use multiple proxies.
>
> On 18.09.19 07:05, Wietse Venema wrote:
> >SMTP-based content filters can be combined:
>
> as I understand, OP wants pre-queue filtering.  Chaining SMTP proxies would
> do no good, and timeout would be the same.
>
> >postfix -smtp-> filter -smtp-> filter -smtp-> postfix

The net result is very similar to what one can do with multiple
Milters, despite a very different implementation.

> >As with Milters, the running times of filters will add up.
>
> I hope that milters get information in parallel, can you confirm?

Milters can modify the message or envelope, therefore processing
is sequential (same story as with multiple SMTP-based filters).

        Wietse