Use of separate storage for mailboxes

si5

Use of separate storage for mailboxes

si5
Hi

I am facing one issue which is mostly about concepts. I have to be clear on that to move forward. I have tried finding solutions about it but couldn't find anything which talks about it.

We have a setup which includes postfix and dovecot. We are using lmtp and delivery of mail is happening through dovecot. We want that delivery of mail should happen in a separate node. I was able to achieve it through lmtp by providing ip address and using port 24.

But now I have been asked to just try to deliver to a separate storage medium and not node. That means it will have an ip address but no dovecot or other software running. This is in relation to incorporation of storage area network (SAN) later on.

Is it possible? I thought there must be some way as many running mail systems are using message store and SAN. All i can find that was close was mailbox sharing and email archiving.

Please help me about this as I have already spent 3 days to it with no luck. I just want the right direction to move forward on this.

Regards

Re: Use of separate storage for mailboxes

Arjan
You're trying to get a 2nd server act as a client gateway(pop3s/imaps/whatever) while the original acts as smtp gateway ?

Usually it is common practice to store mail on the server that hosts clients and have the smtp gateway deliver the mail there over smtp.

Using a san to store mails from the smtp gateway and access those directly from the client gateway should be possuble (just mount in 2 places with nfs for example)
You might be opening a can of worms by doing that though...

Maybe someone with more experience has different ideas though.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail. Excuseer mijn beknoptheid.
si5

Re: Use of separate storage for mailboxes

si5
Hi

You mean we are actually sharing mailboxes to a separate storage? And
still mails are delivered in the same node(ip address) where postfix
is running?

I am trying to find a way through which the mails can be delivered to
this separate storage. This storage is like simply a remote storage
not a server. So no dovecot running on it. I was already able to
deliver emails on a different ip through the help of dovecot and port
24. Now we are thinking of using SAN later on and thatswhy the
requirement is --> mails to deliver on separate storage(different ip
address).

If I am not clear. Please point it out.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Regards

On 4/4/18, Arjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You're trying to get a 2nd server act as a client
> gateway(pop3s/imaps/whatever) while the original acts as smtp gateway ?
>
> Usually it is common practice to store mail on the server that hosts clients
> and have the smtp gateway deliver the mail there over smtp.
>
> Using a san to store mails from the smtp gateway and access those directly
> from the client gateway should be possuble (just mount in 2 places with nfs
> for example)
> You might be opening a can of worms by doing that though...
>
> Maybe someone with more experience has different ideas though.
>

> SAAHIL IFTEKHAR <[hidden email]> schreef op 4 april 2018 06:44:52
> CEST:
>>Hi
>>
>>I am facing one issue which is mostly about concepts. I have to be
>>clear on
>>that to move forward. I have tried finding solutions about it but
>>couldn't
>>find anything which talks about it.
>>

>>We have a setup which includes postfix and dovecot. We are using lmtp
>>and
>>delivery of mail is happening through dovecot. We want that delivery of
>>mail should happen in a separate node. I was able to achieve it through
>>lmtp by providing ip address and using port 24.
>>
>>But now I have been asked to just try to deliver to a separate storage
>>medium and not node. That means it will have an ip address but no
>>dovecot
>>or other software running. This is in relation to incorporation of
>>storage
>>area network (SAN) later on.
>>
>>Is it possible? I thought there must be some way as many running mail
>>systems are using message store and SAN. All i can find that was close
>>was
>>mailbox sharing and email archiving.
>>
>>Please help me about this as I have already spent 3 days to it with no
>>luck. I just want the right direction to move forward on this.
>>

>>Regards

> Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail. Excuseer mijn
> beknoptheid.

Re: Use of separate storage for mailboxes

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 04.04.18 18:28, SAAHIL IFTEKHAR wrote:

>You mean we are actually sharing mailboxes to a separate storage? And
>still mails are delivered in the same node(ip address) where postfix
>is running?
>
>I am trying to find a way through which the mails can be delivered to
>this separate storage. This storage is like simply a remote storage
>not a server. So no dovecot running on it. I was already able to
>deliver emails on a different ip through the help of dovecot and port
>24. Now we are thinking of using SAN later on and thatswhy the
>requirement is --> mails to deliver on separate storage(different ip
>address).

How do you connect to the storage?
if you are using iSCSI, NFS or SMB, it's not postfix business - simply mount
it to a directory and store data on it as if it was local.

If not, you must apparently run kind of server on the storage postfix will
deliver the mail to.

>>>We have a setup which includes postfix and dovecot. We are using lmtp
>>>and
>>>delivery of mail is happening through dovecot. We want that delivery of
>>>mail should happen in a separate node. I was able to achieve it through
>>>lmtp by providing ip address and using port 24.
>>>
>>>But now I have been asked to just try to deliver to a separate storage
>>>medium and not node. That means it will have an ip address but no
>>>dovecot
>>>or other software running. This is in relation to incorporation of
>>>storage
>>>area network (SAN) later on.
>>>
>>>Is it possible? I thought there must be some way as many running mail
>>>systems are using message store and SAN. All i can find that was close
>>>was
>>>mailbox sharing and email archiving.

REALITY.SYS corrupted. Press any key to reboot Universe.

Re: Use of separate storage for mailboxes

SAAHIL IFTEKHAR:

> Hi
>
> You mean we are actually sharing mailboxes to a separate storage? And
> still mails are delivered in the same node(ip address) where postfix
> is running?
>
> I am trying to find a way through which the mails can be delivered to
> this separate storage. This storage is like simply a remote storage
> not a server. So no dovecot running on it. I was already able to
> deliver emails on a different ip through the help of dovecot and port
> 24. Now we are thinking of using SAN later on and thatswhy the
> requirement is --> mails to deliver on separate storage(different ip
> address).
>
> If I am not clear. Please point it out.

See http://www.postfix.org/features.html#fs-requirements.

As long as the storage provides a UNIX file system that satisfies
Postfix requirements, it should not matter if the storage is on a
local disk or on a SAN.

        Wietse
si5

Re: Use of separate storage for mailboxes

si5
Hi

Initially I was able to deliver through the second option (the storage has some server running) through lmtp and port 24.

But now the requirement is like the option one( using NFS, iSCSI,etc). Two queries regarding this first option:-
1) Its not like delivering to a different location, I feel. It is like sharing the emails to a different storage. How it will work when mailserver's storage fills up while that remote storage will still have lots of space.

2) Is this option mainly used in large scale emailing systems like a university emailing system, etc.

Regards