Use relayhost or not ? What is the best strategy ?

Use relayhost or not ? What is the best strategy ?

Pierre Couderc
In old days, using relayhost was a good solution for ISPs who declared
an IP as dynamic even when it is static (free.fr did that..) .

With the inconvenience of ISP smtp IPs being blacklisted because of
spammers.

Is there a good reason today to use relayhost ?

What is the best strategy ?

Thanks

PC

Re: Use relayhost or not ? What is the best strategy ?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 02.01.19 08:11, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>In old days, using relayhost was a good solution for ISPs who declared
>an IP as dynamic even when it is static (free.fr did that..) .
>
>With the inconvenience of ISP smtp IPs being blacklisted because of
>spammers.
>
>Is there a good reason today to use relayhost ?

still the same as in the old days.

>What is the best strategy ?

get IP not listed as dynamic, with non-generic FCRDNS and not use ISP's
relayhost.

If your ISP sends much mail, filters oitgoing spam and cares about spam
reports, there may get blacklisted less likely than you. In case it's safe
to use them as relay. However, the mail is less in your hands then, and you
may need their help to solve problems.

I would use ISPs relay only in cases of blacklisting.

99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Re: Use relayhost or not ? What is the best strategy ?

Pierre Couderc

> On 02.01.19 08:11, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>> In old days, using relayhost was a good solution for ISPs who
>> declared an IP as dynamic even when it is static (free.fr did that..) .
>>
>> With the inconvenience of ISP smtp IPs being blacklisted because of
>> spammers.
>>
>> Is there a good reason today to use relayhost ?
>
> still the same as in the old days.
>
>> What is the best strategy ?
>
> get IP not listed as dynamic, with non-generic FCRDNS and not use ISP's
> relayhost.
>
> If your ISP sends much mail, filters oitgoing spam and cares about spam
> reports, there may get blacklisted less likely than you. In case it's
> safe
> to use them as relay. However, the mail is less in your hands then,
> and you
> may need their help to solve problems.
>
> I would use ISPs relay only in cases of blacklisting.
Thank you. I agree but wanted other advices.