Using provider SMTP (Gmail)

Forums

Hello all.

Sorry for my english I'm french.

Due to some problems with my provider (using my private SMTP server prevents some emails from happening, issue with IP) I have to use an external SMTP (Gmail) as a relay.

It works without issue but...

When I send an email it is received with "From: " equal to Gmail account (From: [hidden email]) instead of my personnal email (From: [hidden email]). And when receiver answer me email is sent to gmail account. But sometime answer is sent to my personnal email ([hidden email]).

In the source of email I can see that "Reply-To:" is filled in with [hidden email].

And I see my emails sent using [hidden email] in "Mails sent" in my Gmail account with [hidden email].

Must I modify something in my Postfix configuration or is the sender making a mistake when he answers me?

--

####################

Cordialement,

Philippe - Forums

Re: Using provider SMTP (Gmail)

황병희-2
> When I send an email it is received with "From: " equal to Gmail account (From: [hidden email]) instead of my
> personnal email (From: [hidden email]).

That is easy. Just use Google Apps (currently G Suit) ;;;

Sincerely,

^고맙습니다 _救濟蒼生_ 감사합니다_^))//

Re: Using provider SMTP (Gmail)

Arnold Greyling

> On 23 Jul 2020, at 2:20 , Forums <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all.
>
> Sorry for my english I'm french.
>
> Due to some problems with my provider (using my private SMTP server prevents some emails from happening, issue with IP) I have to use an external SMTP (Gmail) as a relay.
>
> It works without issue but...
>
> When I send an email it is received with "From: " equal to Gmail account (From: [hidden email]) instead of my personnal email (From: [hidden email]). And when receiver answer me email is sent to gmail account. But sometime answer is sent to my personnal email ([hidden email]).
>
> In the source of email I can see that "Reply-To:" is filled in with "[hidden email]".
>
> And I see my emails sent using [hidden email] in "Mails sent" in my Gmail account with sender=[hidden email].
>
> Must I modify something in my Postfix configuration or is the sender making a mistake when he answers me?

Hi

Gmail allows you to send mail from a different From: address
The setup is described at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370
I haven’t done this in a very long time but I did manage to achieve what you want.
Unfortunately I can’t remember what settings I used.
Play around with the default address and alias settings to get the results you want.

Regards
Arnold

Re: Using provider SMTP (Gmail)

Forums

This action modify "From:" and "Reply To:" when you send an email from your Gmail account.

I don't want to send email from a different "From:" address when I use my Gmail account.

The only thing I wanted is to have the good sender ([hidden email]) in "From:" and "Reply To" when I use Gmail SMTP with my personal mail server.

Le 30/07/2020 à 11:54, Arnold Greyling a écrit :

[...]

Philippe - Forums

Re: Using provider SMTP (Gmail)

Dominic Raferd
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 16:31, Forums <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This action modify "From:" and "Reply To:" when you send an email from your Gmail account.
>
> I don't want to send email from a different "From:" address when I use my Gmail account.
>
> The only thing I wanted is to have the good sender ([hidden email]) in "From:" and "Reply To" when I use Gmail SMTP with my personal mail server.
>

> Le 30/07/2020 à 11:54, Arnold Greyling a écrit :
>
> On 23 Jul 2020, at 2:20 , Forums <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all.
>
> Sorry for my english I'm french.
>
> Due to some problems with my provider (using my private SMTP server prevents some emails from happening, issue with IP) I have to use an external SMTP (Gmail) as a relay.
>
> It works without issue but...
>
> When I send an email it is received with "From: " equal to Gmail account (From: [hidden email]) instead of my personnal email (From: [hidden email]). And when receiver answer me email is sent to gmail account. But sometime answer is sent to my personnal email ([hidden email]).
>
> In the source of email I can see that "Reply-To:" is filled in with "[hidden email]".
>
> And I see my emails sent using [hidden email] in "Mails sent" in my Gmail account with sender=[hidden email].
>
> Must I modify something in my Postfix configuration or is the sender making a mistake when he answers me?
>

> Gmail allows you to send mail from a different From: address
> The setup is described at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370
> I haven’t done this in a very long time but I did manage to achieve what you want.
> Unfortunately I can’t remember what settings I used.
> Play around with the default address and alias settings to get the results you want.

I don't believe Gmail permit what you want unless you have their
(paid) G Suite product (quote: "Show that you're in business and look
professional with custom email addresses at your company domain.").
The obvious solution (as already suggested here) is to get GSuite -
for one or a small number of email_addresses@yourdomain it isn't
expensive.

Otherwise, you need a mail server with *static ipv4*. (This is also
required for the solution/page to which Arnold refers, which permits
you to send emails@yourdomain using the Gmail app or the Gmail web
page). To achieve this:

- get a static ipv4 address for your mail server from your existing
provider (but they may not offer this, or it may be prohibitively
expensive)
- find a service offering free relaying (via static ipv4) from own
domain for (low volume) accounts
- rent a vps that offers static ipv4 address: this isn't free but for
>1 email address can be cheaper than G Suite

P.S. The preferred style on the postfix-users mailing list is to
bottom-post (as I have done here), not to top-post.