Virtual Domains/ Users

12

Virtual Domains/ Users

cacook

My mail server will receive mail for 3 domains with 6 users, and the MUA will be on another machine on The Internets.

I'm seeing conflicting info on setting this up.  The simplest recipe is here:
https://blog.tinned-software.net/setup-postfix-for-multiple-domains/

... but nothing is mentioned about virtual_users nor any changes to main.cf .  So I'm not sure I trust it.

Then there's this from Postfix:
http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#virtual_mailbox

A different (and it seems more primitive) paradigm than the former.  Again virtual_users is not mentioned.

Seems to me that the first approach is closer to the truth, but it's clearly not complete.  Can anyone advise?

0x946C680E.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

Noel Jones-2
On 10/18/2017 12:42 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> My mail server will receive mail for 3 domains with 6 users, and the
> MUA will be on another machine on The Internet>
> I'm seeing conflicting info on setting this up.  The simplest recipe
> is here:
> https://blog.tinned-software.net/setup-postfix-for-multiple-domains/

The above is a very incomplete example of virtual_alias_domains.
A more complete example is
http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#virtual_alias

Users in a virtual alias domain are listed in virtual_alias_maps,
and must be rewritten to another domain for delivery, typically a
local domain.

Please see the ADDRESS_CLASS_README for a description of what these
different domain types mean.

> ... but nothing is mentioned about virtual_users nor any changes to
> main.cf .  So I'm not sure I trust it.
>
> Then there's this from Postfix:
> http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#virtual_mailbox

This is an example of a virtual mailbox domain.  Users for a virtual
mailbox domain are listed in virtual_mailbox_maps.

> A different (and it seems more primitive) paradigm than the former.
> Again virtual_users is not mentioned.
>
> Seems to me that the first approach is closer to the truth, but it's
> clearly not complete.  Can anyone advise?

Are your 6 users sharing the 3 domains?  eg. dude@1 is the same
person as dude@2 and dude@3?
If yes, then use virtual_alias_domains.  Set one domain as the real
domain listed in mydestination, and list the other 2 domains in
virtual_alias_domains.  Use virtual_alias_maps to define the virtual
domain users:
dude@2  dude@1
dude@3  dude@1

Where dude@1 is a real user in the 1 domain.

http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

/dev/rob0
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 10:42:34AM -0700,
   [hidden email] wrote:
> My mail server will receive mail for 3 domains with 6 users, and
> the MUA will be on another machine on The Internets.

That is very small.  The simplest choice is to add the second and
third domains to mydestination.  The drawback of this is that all
domains share one namespace; [hidden email] is the sane as
[hidden email] is the same as [hidden email].

> I'm seeing conflicting info on setting this up.  The simplest
> recipe is here:
> https://blog.tinned-software.net/setup-postfix-for-multiple-domains/

I won't review third-party blog posts, but strongly recommend against
using them for anything more than ideas.  Most bloggers are not
qualified to write Postfix documentation.

> ... but nothing is mentioned about virtual_users nor any changes

What is "virtual_users"?

$ man 5 postconf | grep virtual_users || \
  echo 'Your term does not exist in the postconf(5) manual.'
Your term does not exist in the postconf(5) manual.
$ /usr/sbin/postconf virtual_users
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: virtual_users: unknown parameter

> to main.cf .  So I'm not sure I trust it.
>
> Then there's this from Postfix:
> http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#virtual_mailbox

The VIRTUAL_README has two simple examples.  See also the
#virtual_alias example.

> A different (and it seems more primitive) paradigm than the
> former.  Again virtual_users is not mentioned.

And now you know why.

> Seems to me that the first approach is closer to the truth, but
> it's clearly not complete.  Can anyone advise?

That is to imply that the Postfix documentation is untrue.  Son,
them's fightin' words around these parts. ;)

Stick with the documentation.  Also look at the
BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README, and then further through the
VIRTUAL_README.
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

cacook
Thanks Noel and Rob, I may be on the right track now.  Good to know I can trust the docs to be current.

So my three domains with 6 users are completely independent of one another;  no aliasing.  Thus I used
Non-Postfix mailbox store: separate domains, non-UNIX accounts

In main.cf I set mydomain to the main domain, example1.com.  Should that instead be mail.example1.com?  If so, where else should I set mail.example1.com?  In my registrar, or in the mail system, example1.com, or nothing?

And I set virtual_mailbox_domains = example2.com example3.com

In /etc/postfix/vmailbox I set:
    [hidden email]                ex1.com/user1
    [hidden email]                ex1.com/user2
    [hidden email]                  ex1.com@root

    [hidden email]                ex2.com/user3
    [hidden email]                ex2.com/user4

    [hidden email]                ex3.com/user5
    [hidden email]                ex3.com/user6

Is this right?  Should $mydomain users be in the vmailbox file?  If not, where?

In /etc/postfix/virtual ( have
    # Redirect system email so it can be picked up
    root    [hidden email]

Will this bypass /var/spool/mail/root and send it directly to /var/spool/mail/vhosts/ex1.com/root so it can be picked up?

Am I right that the users in /var/spool/mail/vhosts/ex?/ must be text files and not directories (since I don't add / for maildir format)?

Is setting a group of 'mail' down the /var/spool/mail/vhosts/ line adequate for everything to function properly, including pickup through Dovecot?

Man, email ain't suited to the ill or weak of mind or will...

On 10/20/2017 12:42 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Thanks Noel and Rob, I may be on the right track now.  Good to know
> I can trust the docs to be current.
>
> So my three domains with 6 users are completely independent of one
> another;  no aliasing.  Thus I used
> *Non-Postfix mailbox store: separate domains, non-UNIX accounts*
>
> In main.cf I set mydomain to the main domain, example1.com.

That's fine.  "mydomain" is the internet domain of your host and not
necessarily a mail destination.

> Should
> that instead be mail.example1.com?

You can use that as myhostname, which is the internet name of your
computer.

mydestination should  be set empty or set to localhost.

mydestination = localhost

> If so, where else should I set
> mail.example1.com?  In my registrar, or in the mail system,
> example1.com, or nothing?
>
> And I set virtual_mailbox_domains = example2.com example3.com

You should also list example1.com in virtual_mailbox_domains.

> In /etc/postfix/vmailbox I set:
>     [hidden email]                ex1.com/user1
>     [hidden email]                ex1.com/user2
>     [hidden email]                  ex1.com@root
>
>     [hidden email]                ex2.com/user3
>     [hidden email]                ex2.com/user4
>
>     [hidden email]                ex3.com/user5
>     [hidden email]                ex3.com/user6
>
> Is this right?  Should $mydomain users be in the vmailbox file?  If
> not, where?
>
> In /etc/postfix/virtual ( have
>     # Redirect system email so it can be picked up
>     root    [hidden email]
>
> Will this bypass /var/spool/mail/root and send it directly to
> /var/spool/mail/vhosts/ex1.com/root so it can be picked up?
>
> Am I right that the users in /var/spool/mail/vhosts/ex?/ must be
> text files and not directories (since I don't add / for maildir format)?
>
> Is setting a group of 'mail' down the /var/spool/mail/vhosts/ line
> adequate for everything to function properly, including pickup
> through Dovecot?
>
> Man, email ain't suited to the ill or weak of mind or will...

0x946C680E.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:
> How does DNS know where mail.example1.com is?  Should I set it in
> my registrar, in the mail system, in Apache as a virtual domain,
> or where?

Normally, someone pays a registrar, so that the payer can configure
the names of DNS servers that hold DNS records for example1.com.

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

cacook

On 10/21/2017 11:25 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
[hidden email]:
How does DNS know where mail.example1.com is?  Should I set it in
my registrar, in the mail system, in Apache as a virtual domain,
or where?
Normally, someone pays a registrar, so that the payer can configure
the names of DNS servers that hold DNS records for example1.com.

	Wietse

Understand, I do have a registrar for my domains, but there I have always set ns1.{hoster}.com and ns2.{hoster}.com as the DNS servers.  (I've always used shared hosting in the past, but now am making my first hosting cloud instance)

I believe that I may now have the solution, and would appreciate confirmation.

I must run dnsmasq in my cloud hosting instance (the same instance running Apache for my websites), to accept outside connections on port 53, and set it to reference first /etc/hosts (which correlates my website domains to the instance's WAN IP) and then fall back to the normal outside DNS servers for that cloud instance for unknown domains.

Also in dnsmasq.conf, to respond to MX requests, I must set:
mx-host=example1.com,mail.example1.com,50
mx-host=example2.com,mail.example2.com,50
mx-host=example3.com,mail.example3.com,50

Nothing documents what that Priority number is for, but otherwise correct?

And then I must present port 25 (postfix) to the outside world to receive SMTP, and port 110 (dovecot) for me to pick up email that's been stored?

In main.cf, I believe:

myhostname = mail.example1.com
mydomain = example1.com
mydestination = localhost
local_recipient_maps =
mynetworks = ??.??.??.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8    (I don't understand what to set this to, if I want to pick up mail from several places with varying IPs)
relay_domains =

virtual_mailbox_domains = mail.example1.com mail.example2.com mail.example3.com
virtual_mailbox_base = /var/spool/mail/vhosts
virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
virtual_minimum_uid = 100
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

mailbox_command =
smtpd_client_restrictions = sleep 5
smtpd_delay_reject = no
smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_unknown_sender_domain
smtpd_error_sleep_time = 30
smtpd_soft_error_limit = 10
smtpd_hard_error_limit = 20

smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_type = cyrus
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = no
smtpd_use_tls = yes
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_security_level = encrypt
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/tls/private/postfix.key
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/tls/certs/postfix.pem
smtpd_tls_dh1024_param_file = /etc/pki/tls/private/postfix.dh.param
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3, !TLSv1, !TLSv1.1
smtpd_tls_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3, !TLSv1, !TLSv1.1
smtp_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3, !TLSv1, !TLSv1.1
smtp_tls_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3, !TLSv1, !TLSv1.1
smtp_tls_exclude_ciphers = EXP, MEDIUM, LOW, DES, 3DES, SSLv2
smtpd_tls_exclude_ciphers = EXP, MEDIUM, LOW, DES, 3DES, SSLv2
tls_high_cipherlist = kEECDH:+kEECDH+SHA:kEDH:+kEDH+SHA:+kEDH+CAMELLIA:kECDH:+kECDH+SHA:kRSA:$
tls_medium_cipherlist = kEECDH:+kEECDH+SHA:kEDH:+kEDH+SHA:+kEDH+CAMELLIA:kECDH:+kECDH+SHA:kRS$
smtp_tls_ciphers = high
smtpd_tls_ciphers = high

/etc/postfix/virtual    (hashed to virtual.db):
# Redirect system email so it can be picked up
root    [hidden email]

/etc/postfix/vmailbox    (hashed to vmailbox.db):
[hidden email]    example1.com/user1
[hidden email]    example1.com/user2
[hidden email]    example1.com/user3
[hidden email]    example2.com/user1
[hidden email]    example2.com/user2
[hidden email]    example2.com/user3
[hidden email]    example3.com/user1
[hidden email]    example3.com/user2
[hidden email]    example3.com/user3
# Don't know whether to use a catchall, from a security perspective.
# If unknown users are bounced, that gives spammers info,
#   but if absorbed to /dev/null could encourage them to send more.

I haven't completely figured out TLS yet, but otherwise above, am I on the right track?

Also I haven't figured out where to set passwords to -send- email.  It must be in the vicinity of vmailbox.db.

Thank you Wietse, for Postfix.

0x946C680E.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:

> On 10/21/2017 11:25 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > [hidden email]:
> >> How does DNS know where mail.example1.com is?  Should I set it in
> >> my registrar, in the mail system, in Apache as a virtual domain,
> >> or where?
> > Normally, someone pays a registrar, so that the payer can configure
> > the names of DNS servers that hold DNS records for example1.com.
> >
> > Wietse
>
> Understand, I do have a registrar for my domains, but there I have
> always set ns1.{hoster}.com and ns2.{hoster}.com as the DNS servers.?
> (I've always used shared hosting in the past, but now am making my first
> hosting cloud instance)

In addition to the NS records that name these DNS servers, those
servers need to contain records for your domain. You can use the
'dig' tool to verify that:

    dig ns example1.com. @8.8.8.8
    dig mx example.com. @8.8.8.8

and so on. This uses Google DNS to show what a remote client would get.

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

cacook

On 10/23/2017 11:55 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
[hidden email]:
[...]

Yes this works.  But all my questions have disappeared.

On 10/24/2017 10:20 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Sending an email from a remote machine pretends like it goes out just fine.  But it never arrives in the server's mail folder.  Zero goes into maillog, even with systemctl restart postfix.  TLS is not enabled.

# systemctl status postfix
● postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/postfix.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2017-10-25 11:50:18 PDT; 1min 34s ago
  Process: 6944 ExecStop=/usr/sbin/postfix stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 6964 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/postfix start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 6960 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/postfix/chroot-update (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 6956 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/postfix/aliasesdb (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 7037 (master)
   CGroup: /system.slice/postfix.service
           ├─7037 /usr/libexec/postfix/master -w
           ├─7038 pickup -l -t unix -u
           └─7039 qmgr -l -t unix -u

Oct 25 11:50:18 quantum.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
Oct 25 11:50:18 quantum.localdomain postfix/master[7037]: daemon started -- version 2.10.1, configuration /etc/postfix
Oct 25 11:50:18 quantum.localdomain systemd[1]: Started Postfix Mail Transport Agent.

# listen |grep master
master  7037   root   13u  IPv4 351967      0t0  TCP *:25 (LISTEN)
master  7037   root   14u  IPv6 351968      0t0  TCP *:25 (LISTEN)

# dig ns delphi-real-estate.com. @88.191.249.135

; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-50.el7_3.1 <<>> ns delphi-real-estate.com. @88.191.249.135
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;delphi-real-estate.com.                IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
delphi-real-estate.com. 28800   IN      NS      nsa.bookmyname.com.
delphi-real-estate.com. 28800   IN      NS      nsc.bookmyname.com.
delphi-real-estate.com. 28800   IN      NS      nsb.bookmyname.com.

;; Query time: 407 msec
;; SERVER: 88.191.249.135#53(88.191.249.135)
;; WHEN: Wed Oct 25 11:10:23 PDT 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 116

# dig mx delphi-real-estate.com. @88.191.249.135

; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-50.el7_3.1 <<>> mx delphi-real-estate.com. @88.191.249.135
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;delphi-real-estate.com.                IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
delphi-real-estate.com. 28800   IN      MX      10 mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

;; Query time: 198 msec
;; SERVER: 88.191.249.135#53(88.191.249.135)
;; WHEN: Wed Oct 25 11:06:16 PDT 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 72

0x946C680E.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

Richard-2

> Date: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:55:13 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
>
> Sending an email from a remote machine pretends like it goes out
> just fine.  But it never arrives in the server's mail folder.
> Zero goes into maillog, even with systemctl restart postfix.  TLS
> is not enabled.

You have an MX record pointing from delphi-real-estate.com to
mail.delphi-real-estate.com

  # dig delphi-real-estate.com mx

  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;delphi-real-estate.com. IN MX

  ;; ANSWER SECTION:
  delphi-real-estate.com. 28800 IN MX  10 mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

but no A record for mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

You need to get an A-record for mail.delphi-real-estate.com (which
will point to its IPnumber) added to the dns entries for your domain
at bookmyname.com.

I suspect your test message is sitting on the outgoing mail server
you used and you will get delivery warning and failure messages in
time.

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

cacook

Date: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:55:13 -0700
From: [hidden email]

[...]

My email client finds the smtp server fine and seems to send the email successfully.  I can't find it remaining anywhere locally except in Sent.

I've asked my registrar about this and he says:

>> There is no example how to set an A record for a mail domain.
> Hi, For mail you have to use MX not A. So you have to redirect it on canonical address.

Here's what delphi-real-estate.com looks like:

www                     28800  A      72.251.232.102
@                       28800  MX     10 mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

Do you mean I need to set an A record for delphi-real-estate.com ?

0x946C680E.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

Richard-2

> Date: Thursday, October 26, 2017 08:40:13 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> On 10/25/2017 12:39 PM, Richard wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:55:13 -0700
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Sending an email from a remote machine pretends like it goes out
>>> just fine.  But it never arrives in the server's mail folder.
>>> Zero goes into maillog, even with systemctl restart postfix.  TLS
>>> is not enabled.
>>>
>> You have an MX record pointing from delphi-real-estate.com to
>> mail.delphi-real-estate.com
>>
>>   # dig delphi-real-estate.com mx
>>
>>   ;; QUESTION SECTION:
>>   ;delphi-real-estate.com. IN MX
>>
>>   ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>>   delphi-real-estate.com. 28800 IN MX  10
>>   mail.delphi-real-estate.com.
>>
>> but no A record for mail.delphi-real-estate.com.
>>
>> You need to get an A-record for mail.delphi-real-estate.com (which
>> will point to its IPnumber) added to the dns entries for your
>> domain at bookmyname.com.
>>
>> I suspect your test message is sitting on the outgoing mail server
>> you used and you will get delivery warning and failure messages in
>> time.

> My email client finds the smtp server fine and seems to send the
> email successfully.  I can't find it remaining anywhere locally
> except in Sent.

When sending your test message(s) to delphi-real-estate.com, what are
you using for your smtp server, mail.delphi-real-estate.com or
something else?

> I've asked my registrar about this and he says:
>
>>> There is no example how to set an A record for a mail domain.

>> Hi, For mail you have to use MX not A. So you have to redirect it
>> on canonical address.

While the current practice, this is not technically true:

   > For mail you have to use MX not A

but we won't belabor that point.

> Here's what delphi-real-estate.com looks like:
>
> www     28800  A   72.251.232.102
> @       28800  MX  10 mail.delphi-real-estate.com.
>
> Do you mean I need to set an A record for delphi-real-estate.com ?

No, you don't need an A-record for delphi-real-estate.com (for mail
purposes at least) since you have the MX pointing to
mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

But you need an A-record for mail.delphi-real-estate.com (analogous
to the A-record you have for www.) otherwise no sending MTA will be
able to reach it.

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

cacook

Thank you Richard.

On 10/26/2017 09:18 AM, Richard wrote:

Here's what delphi-real-estate.com looks like:

www     28800  A   72.251.232.102
@       28800  MX  10 mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

Do you mean I need to set an A record for delphi-real-estate.com ?
No, you don't need an A-record for delphi-real-estate.com (for mail
purposes at least) since you have the MX pointing to
mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

But you need an A-record for mail.delphi-real-estate.com (analogous
to the A-record you have for www.) otherwise no sending MTA will be
able to reach it.
Yes I have my smtp server set to mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

Maybe I have it now.  I've set my zone file so:

        delphi-real-estate.com.    28800    A    72.251.232.102
        www                              28800    CNAME    delphi-real-estate.com.
        mail                                28800    A    72.251.232.102
        @                                   28800    MX    10   mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

Is this correct?

Now when I send a test email, nothing has changed.  It never gets there.  No indications in the log. (below)

This morning I'm finding in the maillog the following entries.  Apparently I am configured to not relay, although I don't know where those settings are.

Oct 26 09:01:31 quantum dovecot: master: Dovecot v2.2.10 starting up for imap (core dumps disabled)
Oct 26 09:01:33 quantum postfix/postfix-script[1112]: starting the Postfix mail system
Oct 26 09:01:33 quantum postfix/master[1115]: daemon started -- version 2.10.1, configuration /etc/postfix
Oct 26 09:01:33 quantum postfix/qmgr[1120]: B3A15816086: from=<>, size=4806, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 26 09:01:33 quantum postfix/qmgr[1120]: B56C1814CC4: from=<>, size=4806, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 26 09:01:33 quantum postfix/qmgr[1120]: B7026814CC5: from=[hidden email], size=44601, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 26 09:01:33 quantum postfix/qmgr[1120]: 9BCCE816087: from=[hidden email], size=41864, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 26 09:01:33 quantum postfix/qmgr[1120]: 28286814CC6: from=[hidden email], size=44601, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 26 09:01:33 quantum postfix/qmgr[1120]: EFEEB82D41D: from=<>, size=4806, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 26 09:01:33 quantum postfix/qmgr[1120]: 05837814CC2: from=[hidden email], size=763, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 26 09:01:39 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: warning: hostname GE3-0-R1-C-HZ-B.gd.cn.net does not resolve to address 202.96.142.2: Name or service not known
Oct 26 09:01:39 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: connect from unknown[202.96.142.2]
Oct 26 09:01:45 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: lost connection after CONNECT from unknown[202.96.142.2]
Oct 26 09:01:45 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: disconnect from unknown[202.96.142.2]
Oct 26 09:02:14 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: connect from unknown[45.6.217.6]
Oct 26 09:02:19 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: lost connection after CONNECT from unknown[45.6.217.6]
Oct 26 09:02:19 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: disconnect from unknown[45.6.217.6]
Oct 26 09:02:30 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: connect from unknown[122.226.62.90]
Oct 26 09:02:35 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: lost connection after CONNECT from unknown[122.226.62.90]
Oct 26 09:02:35 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: disconnect from unknown[122.226.62.90]
Oct 26 09:02:41 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: connect from unknown[217.179.206.193]
Oct 26 09:02:47 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[217.179.206.193]: 454 4.7.1 [hidden email]: Relay access denied; from=[hidden email] to=[hidden email] proto=ESMTP helo=<acqyro1.acqyro.ne$
Oct 26 09:02:47 quantum postfix/smtpd[1386]: disconnect from unknown[217.179.206.193]
Oct 26 09:06:08 quantum postfix/anvil[1388]: statistics: max connection rate 1/60s for (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="smtp:202.96.142.2">smtp:202.96.142.2) at Oct 26 09:01:39
Oct 26 09:06:08 quantum postfix/anvil[1388]: statistics: max connection count 1 for (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="smtp:202.96.142.2">smtp:202.96.142.2) at Oct 26 09:01:39
Oct 26 09:06:08 quantum postfix/anvil[1388]: statistics: max cache size 4 at Oct 26 09:02:41
Oct 26 09:06:33 quantum postfix/smtp[1137]: B56C1814CC4: to=[hidden email], relay=quantum-equities.com[199.127.58.3]:25, delay=194265, delays=193965/0.04/300/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (conversation with quantum-equities.com[199.127.58.3] tim$
Oct 26 09:06:33 quantum postfix/smtp[1145]: 28286814CC6: to=[hidden email], orig_to=<root>, relay=quantum-equities.com[199.127.58.3]:25, delay=106652, delays=106352/0.05/300/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (conversation with quantum-equities.com[1$
Oct 26 09:06:33 quantum postfix/smtp[1140]: B7026814CC5: to=[hidden email], orig_to=<root>, relay=quantum-equities.com[199.127.58.3]:25, delay=194250, delays=193950/0.06/300/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (conversation with quantum-equities.com[1$
Oct 26 09:06:33 quantum postfix/error[1439]: EFEEB82D41D: to=[hidden email], relay=none, delay=106668, delays=106367/300/0/0.01, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: conversation with quantum-equities.com[199.127.58.3] tim$
Oct 26 09:06:33 quantum postfix/error[1440]: 05837814CC2: to=[hidden email], orig_to=<postmaster>, relay=none, delay=82878, delays=82577/300/0/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: conversation with quantum-equitie$
Oct 26 09:06:33 quantum postfix/smtp[1141]: 9BCCE816087: to=[hidden email], orig_to=<root>, relay=quantum-equities.com[199.127.58.3]:25, delay=253486, delays=253186/0.06/300/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (conversation with quantum-equities.com[1$
Oct 26 09:06:33 quantum postfix/smtp[1133]: B3A15816086: to=[hidden email], relay=quantum-equities.com[199.127.58.3]:25, delay=253501, delays=253201/0.06/300/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (conversation with quantum-equities.com[199.127.58.3] tim$
Oct 26 09:11:17 quantum postfix/postfix-script[1452]: refreshing the Postfix mail system
Oct 26 09:11:17 quantum postfix/master[1115]: reload -- version 2.10.1, configuration /etc/postfix
Oct 26 09:12:24 quantum postfix/postfix-script[1466]: refreshing the Postfix mail system
Oct 26 09:12:25 quantum postfix/master[1115]: reload -- version 2.10.1, configuration /etc/postfix

0x946C680E.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

cacook

The test email I'm sending from quantum-equities.com to delphi-real-estate.com, causes the delphi postfix to try and contact quantum on port 25, for some reason.

Thing is, there is nothing listening there on 25 as the test email was sent by Thunderbird.

[...]

Docs leave so much unsaid that it's starting to look like I can not get postfix running.  I've mastered Xen and OpenStack, but maybe this is beyond me as so much is undocumented and ppl here are so busy.

On 10/26/2017 09:36 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Oct 26 09:06:08 quantum postfix/anvil[1388]: statistics: max connection rate 1/60s for (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="smtp:202.96.142.2" moz-do-not-send="true">smtp:202.96.142.2) at Oct 26 09:01:39
Oct 26 09:06:08 quantum postfix/anvil[1388]: statistics: max connection count 1 for (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="smtp:202.96.142.2" moz-do-not-send="true">smtp:202.96.142.2) at Oct 26 09:01:39
[...]

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 26.10.17 09:36, [hidden email] wrote:

>Yes I have my smtp server set to mail.delphi-real-estate.com.
>
>Maybe I have it now.  I've set my zone file so:
>
>        delphi-real-estate.com.    28800    A    72.251.232.102
>        www                              28800    CNAME
>delphi-real-estate.com.
>        mail                                28800    A    72.251.232.102
>        @                                   28800    MX    10
>mail.delphi-real-estate.com.
>

>Is this correct?

No.

He explicitly said "you don't need an A-record for delphi-real-estate.com"
and "need an A-record for mail.delphi-real-estate.com"
- you did not do what was needed, you did what was NOT needed.

there is no "mail.delphi-real-estate.com" so there is nowhere to deliver
mail for your domain. I wonder other servers accept mail for you - many
servers don't accept mail from undeliverable source addresses

I'm not interested in your website anymore.
If you need cookies, bake them yourself.

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 26.10.17 20:00, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>No.

OH! yes, you did. I mised this between other records. Sorry

M$ Win's are shit, do not use it !

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 26.10.17 10:32, [hidden email] wrote:
>The test email I'm sending from quantum-equities.com to
>delphi-real-estate.com, causes the delphi postfix to try and contact
>quantum on port 25, for some reason.

this is the reason:

quantum-equities.com.   300     IN      MX      0 quantum-equities.com.
quantum-equities.com.   300     IN      A       199.127.58.3

(the MX is implicit, so unneeded)

>Thing is, there is nothing listening there on 25 as the test email was
>sent by Thunderbird.

the whole fact that mail was SENT by thunderbird has nothing to do with the
fact that you need mail server on quantum-equities.com if you want to
RECEIVE mail for quantum-equities.com.

configure postfix on quantum-equities.com that will have
"quantum-equities.com" in mydestination.

or

configure different MX for quantum-equities.com pointing to other server
that will receive mail for that domain
The 3 biggets disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tschernobyl 86, Windows 95

Re: Virtual Domains/ Users

Richard-2

> Date: Thursday, October 26, 2017 20:00:44 +0200
> From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <[hidden email]>

>> On 10/26/2017 09:18 AM, Richard wrote:
>>> No, you don't need an A-record for delphi-real-estate.com (for
>>> mail purposes at least) since you have the MX pointing to
>>> mail.delphi-real-estate.com.
>>>
>>> But you need an A-record for mail.delphi-real-estate.com
>>> (analogous to the A-record you have for www.) otherwise no
>>> sending MTA will be able to reach it.
>
> On 26.10.17 09:36, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Yes I have my smtp server set to mail.delphi-real-estate.com.
>>
>> Maybe I have it now.  I've set my zone file so:
>>
>>  delphi-real-estate.com. 28800 A 72.251.232.102
>>  www                     28800 CNAME
delphi-real-estate.com.
>>  mail                    28800 A 72.251.232.102
>>  @                       28800 MX
10 mail.delphi-real-estate.com.

>> Is this correct?
>
> No.
>
> He explicitly said "you don't need an A-record for
> delphi-real-estate.com" and "need an A-record for
> mail.delphi-real-estate.com" - you did not do what was
> needed, you did what was NOT needed.
>
> there is no "mail.delphi-real-estate.com" so there is nowhere to
> deliver mail for your domain. I wonder other servers accept mail
> for you - many servers don't accept mail from undeliverable
> source addresses

He changed www. from an A-record to a CNAME (pointing to
delphi-real-estate.com), so (now) the A-record for
delphi-real-estate.com is indeed needed/correct.

As you noted in a followup, he did also get the A-record in for mail.

So, the dns records seem to be getting there (except for the lack of
a PTR record for 72.251.232.102), however there appear to be a range
of postfix configuration issues pending.

12