Virtual domain hosting “catch all” e-mail address

Virtual domain hosting “catch all” e-mail address

J Doe
Hi,

I am currently configuring virtual domain hosting on Postfix 3.1.0 and have a question about the “Postfix Virtual Domain Hosting Howto” document [1].

Under “Postfix virtual ALIAS example: separate domains, UNIX system accounts” there is an example of the virtual file.  On line 10 it states:

# @example.com jim

This is referred to as a “catch-all address”.

My question is: does this receive ALL e-mail to: @example.com or does it only receive e-mail that is addressed to virtual users that do not exist in the virtual file ?

Thanks

Sources
[1] www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

Re: Virtual domain hosting “catch all” e-mail address

J Doe

> On Sep 21, 2017, at 2:00 PM, J Doe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am currently configuring virtual domain hosting on Postfix 3.1.0 and have a question about the “Postfix Virtual Domain Hosting Howto” document [1].
>
> Under “Postfix virtual ALIAS example: separate domains, UNIX system accounts” there is an example of the virtual file.  On line 10 it states:
>
> # @example.com        jim
>
> This is referred to as a “catch-all address”.
>
> My question is: does this receive ALL e-mail to: @example.com or does it only receive e-mail that is addressed to virtual users that do not exist in the virtual file ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sources
> [1] www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

It turns out the answer to my question was a little farther down:

        “...[catch-all address] receives mail for every example.com address not listed in
        the virtual alias file”

- J