Warning: group or other writeable:

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Warning: group or other writeable:

John Allen
I am seeing the above message associated with the following files -

/usr/lib/postfix/./sbin/lmtp
/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-tls.so.1
/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-util.so.1
/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-dns.so.1
/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-master.so.1
/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-global.so.1
/usr/lib/postfix/sbin/./lmtp

My problem is that I cannot find these files - where should I look and
why are they group/other writeable?

John A





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable:

Viktor Dukhovni
On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 01:15:59AM -0500, John wrote:

> I am seeing the above message associated with the following files -
>
> /usr/lib/postfix/./sbin/lmtp
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-tls.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-util.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-dns.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-master.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-global.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/./lmtp
>
> My problem is that I cannot find these files - where should I look and why
> are they group/other writeable?

These are perhaps symbolic links.  You can check with:

    $ ls -l /usr/lib/postfix/./sbin/lmtp
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-tls.so.1
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-util.so.1
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-dns.so.1
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-master.so.1
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-global.so.1
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/./lmtp

Postfix expects these to be actual files, not symlinks.  If they're
not as expected, someone messed up the packaging of Postfix on your
system.  The "postfix-files" file lists what Postfix expects to
find.  When reality differs, your installation is flawed.

For example, on Debian and Ubuntu systems, the Postfix package
includes a rather broken version of 'postfix-files'.  Your symptoms
look a bit different, but the idea's the same.

--
        Viktor.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable:

Benny Pedersen-2
In reply to this post by John Allen
John skrev den 2016-12-10 07:15:
> I am seeing the above message associated with the following files -
>
> /usr/lib/postfix/./sbin/lmtp
[...]
> My problem is that I cannot find these files - where should I look and
> why are they group/other writeable?

build stage try to install chrooted, bummer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable: - followup

John Allen
In reply to this post by John Allen
Do these errors matter?


On 10/12/16 01:15 AM, John wrote:

> I am seeing the above message associated with the following files -
>
> /usr/lib/postfix/./sbin/lmtp
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-tls.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-util.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-dns.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-master.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-global.so.1
> /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/./lmtp
>
> My problem is that I cannot find these files - where should I look and
> why are they group/other writeable?
>
> John A
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable: - followup

Bastian Blank-3
On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 08:39:14AM -0500, John wrote:
> Do these errors matter?

Where do you see errors?  In the subject you talked about warnings.
Please be precise if you want to describe problems.

Bastian

--
You!  What PLANET is this!
                -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable: - followup

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by John Allen
John:
> Do these errors matter?

Yes. It means that a non-root user can change stuff and become root.

        Wietse

>
> On 10/12/16 01:15 AM, John wrote:
> > I am seeing the above message associated with the following files -
> >
> > /usr/lib/postfix/./sbin/lmtp
> > /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-tls.so.1
> > /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-util.so.1
> > /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-dns.so.1
> > /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-master.so.1
> > /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-global.so.1
> > /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/./lmtp
> >
> > My problem is that I cannot find these files - where should I look and
> > why are they group/other writeable?
> >
> > John A
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable: - followup

John Allen
In reply to this post by Bastian Blank-3

In the mail log.

I get the error message "Warning: group or other writeable:" followed by one of the following file names

/usr/lib/postfix/./sbin/lmtp
/
usr/lib/postfix/
./libpostfix-tls.so.1
/
usr/lib/postfix/
./libpostfix-util.so.1
/
usr/lib/postfix/
./libpostfix-dns.so.1
/
usr/lib/postfix/
./libpostfix-master.so.1
/
usr/lib/postfix/
./libpostfix-global.so.1
/
usr/lib/postfix/sbin/
./lmtp

the message is repeated for each filename.

Do these messages matter, should they be followed up, or are they trivia and can be ignored.

If the problem needs to be addressed where should I look as I cannot find these files - and why might they beĀ  group/other writeable?

I am running Postfix 3.1.3 under Debian Stretch.

John A

On 10/12/16 09:04 AM, Bastian Blank wrote:
On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 08:39:14AM -0500, John wrote:
Do these errors matter?
Where do you see errors?  In the subject you talked about warnings.
Please be precise if you want to describe problems.

Bastian


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable: - followup

Wietse Venema
John:
> Do these messages matter, should they be followed up, or are they trivia
> and can be ignored.

find / -name lmtp

The warning means that a non-root user can change things and become root.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable: - followup

Scott Kitterman-4
In reply to this post by John Allen
On December 10, 2016 9:48:38 AM EST, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

>In the mail log.
>
>I get the error message "Warning: group or other writeable:" followed
>by
>one of the following file names
>
>/usr/lib/postfix/./sbin/lmtp
>/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-tls.so.1
>/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-util.so.1
>/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-dns.so.1
>/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-master.so.1
>/usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-global.so.1
>/usr/lib/postfix/sbin/./lmtp
>
>the message is repeated for each filename.
>
>Do these messages matter, should they be followed up, or are they
>trivia
>and can be ignored.
>
>If the problem needs to be addressed where should I look as I cannot
>find these files - and why might they be  group/other writeable?
>
>I am running Postfix 3.1.3 under Debian Stretch.

It's an issue we're aware of.  I intend to deal with it in the next upload.  The files that these symlinks point to (in the same directory) do have correct permissions.

Scott K

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable: - followup

John Allen
I will sit on my hands for the moment and await the official fix.

Thanks Scott



On 10/12/16 01:37 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On December 10, 2016 9:48:38 AM EST, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In the mail log.
>>
>> I get the error message "Warning: group or other writeable:" followed
>> by
>> one of the following file names
>>
>> /usr/lib/postfix/./sbin/lmtp
>> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-tls.so.1
>> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-util.so.1
>> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-dns.so.1
>> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-master.so.1
>> /usr/lib/postfix/./libpostfix-global.so.1
>> /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/./lmtp
>>
>> the message is repeated for each filename.
>>
>> Do these messages matter, should they be followed up, or are they
>> trivia
>> and can be ignored.
>>
>> If the problem needs to be addressed where should I look as I cannot
>> find these files - and why might they be  group/other writeable?
>>
>> I am running Postfix 3.1.3 under Debian Stretch.
> It's an issue we're aware of.  I intend to deal with it in the next upload.  The files that these symlinks point to (in the same directory) do have correct permissions.
>
> Scott K
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable: - followup

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by Scott Kitterman-4
Scott Kitterman:
> It's an issue we're aware of.  I intend to deal with it in the
> next upload.  The files that these symlinks point to (in the same
> directory) do have correct permissions.

Those symlinks are not needed. Postfix .so files MUST NEVER be used
by non-Postfix programs, and therefore there is no need to append
a "version" to their names. The API of these files is not public.
The .so files are primarily to enable separate distribution of
database plugins.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning: group or other writeable: - followup

Scott Kitterman-4
On December 10, 2016 4:20:30 PM EST, [hidden email] wrote:

>Scott Kitterman:
>> It's an issue we're aware of.  I intend to deal with it in the
>> next upload.  The files that these symlinks point to (in the same
>> directory) do have correct permissions.
>
>Those symlinks are not needed. Postfix .so files MUST NEVER be used
>by non-Postfix programs, and therefore there is no need to append
>a "version" to their names. The API of these files is not public.
>The .so files are primarily to enable separate distribution of
>database plugins.

As you're aware, there's a long history of substantial divergence in Debian postfix.  I'm chipping away at chunks of it.  This is the next to go.

Scott K