Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

Tom Browder
I am considering using Webmin on my servers and see that it has a Postfix module. Does anyone have any experience with it or have an opinion to offer ref its ability to manage Postfix?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

Tom Browder
Wow, you must be having a bad day! I hope you feel better soon.

Happy Easter, for He is risen!

Best regards,

-Tom

On Sunday, March 27, 2016, Matthew McGehrin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fuck off.  I don't care about your sorry ass Webmin. This aint the place.

Tom Browder wrote:
I am considering using Webmin on my servers and see that it has a Postfix module. Does anyone have any experience with it or have an opinion to offer ref its ability to manage Postfix?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

P.V.Anthony
On 03/27/2016 08:34 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
> Wow, you must be having a bad day! I hope you feel better soon.

Dear Tom,

I like the way you have replied. I should learn and practice your way.

P.V.Anthony

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

jason hirsh
I dont know if this is an appropriate place or not

I use WEBMIN with the Postfix module and find it very useful for helping me with my Postfix installation

-Tom

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

Phil Stracchino
On 03/27/16 09:48, Paweł Grzesik wrote:
> In nowadays I would say that it's probably better to go for
> Ansible/Pupper postfix module to manage it.

There is also a Postfixadmin application.
(Disclaimer:  I haven't used it.)

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: 603.293.8485

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

@lbutlr
On Mar 27, 2016, at 9:51 AM, Phil Stracchino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 03/27/16 09:48, Paweł Grzesik wrote:
>> In nowadays I would say that it's probably better to go for
>> Ansible/Pupper postfix module to manage it.
>
> There is also a Postfixadmin application.
> (Disclaimer:  I haven't used it.)

I’ve used postfix admin for years to give users the ability to change passwords and add/remove email accounts on their domains. It makes an efficient and simple interface between postfix and sql domains.

--
Battlemage? That's not a profession. It barely qualifies as a hobby.
'Battlemage' is about impressive a title as 'Lord of the Dance'. <PAUSE>
I'm adding Lord of the Dance to my titles.

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

Steve Jenkins-2
On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am considering using Webmin on my servers and see that it has a Postfix module. Does anyone have any experience with it or have an opinion to offer ref its ability to manage Postfix?

Hi, Tom. I use Webmin for a few different tasks, and like it, but find the Postfix config files straightforward and so I've always edited them directly.

Which is all the Webmin module is going to do, as well. I can't see any harm to using it. I just think that it's quicker to edit the main.cf and master.cf files directly.

SteveJ

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

Glenn English-3

> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am considering using Webmin on my servers and see that it has a Postfix module. Does anyone have any experience with it or have an opinion to offer ref its ability to manage Postfix?

I use both Webmin and Vim on my Postfix config files. On Debian Linux, if it matters.

Webmin's Postfix module saved my life when I was starting to learn the 'Net, and it's still quite useful when I want to do something fairly simple, but quickly.

But it's GUI pictures and Perl scripts (Webmin is painfully show on a Raspberry Pi) aren't capable of doing most of the things Wietse and his buds talk about on the mailing list -- that usually takes a text editor, some time, and some knowledge.

--
Glenn English

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

jason hirsh
I agree but for a novice webmin helps. I use it with a text editor to follow wietse brilliant guidance. I am trying postfix administration on new server. It appears to have potential to allow domain  users to administer but I am on week three of setting it up

> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am considering using Webmin on my servers and see that it has a Postfix module. Does anyone have any experience with it or have an opinion to offer ref its ability to manage Postfix?

I use both Webmin and Vim on my Postfix config files. On Debian Linux, if it matters.

Webmin's Postfix module saved my life when I was starting to learn the 'Net, and it's still quite useful when I want to do something fairly simple, but quickly.

But it's GUI pictures and Perl scripts (Webmin is painfully show on a Raspberry Pi) aren't capable of doing most of the things Wietse and his buds talk about on the mailing list -- that usually takes a text editor, some time, and some knowledge.

--
Glenn English

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

Ron Wheeler
On 27/03/2016 2:08 PM, Steve Jenkins wrote:
On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am considering using Webmin on my servers and see that it has a Postfix module. Does anyone have any experience with it or have an opinion to offer ref its ability to manage Postfix?

Hi, Tom. I use Webmin for a few different tasks, and like it, but find the Postfix config files straightforward and so I've always edited them directly.

Which is all the Webmin module is going to do, as well. I can't see any harm to using it. I just think that it's quicker to edit the main.cf and master.cf files directly.

SteveJ
I have used Webmin for years including for Postfix.
You have the option of direct editing of the cf files with Webmin.
To me this is the best of both worlds.

A lot of the instructions for adding things and fixing things come as direct mods to the .cf files so you do need to be able to both.

Webmin makes it easy to add aliases and manage the queue.
It is also easy to look at individual mailboxes if there is a question about a particular user where the problem may be on the client side.

Ron
--
Ron Wheeler
President
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Webmin with Postfix: recommended or not.

Robert Schetterer-2
Am 26.03.2016 um 23:48 schrieb Tom Browder:
> I am considering using Webmin on my servers and see that it has a
> Postfix module. Does anyone have any experience with it or have an
> opinion to offer ref its ability to manage Postfix?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,

i used it on relays , and limited the funkcions of the module
to do very small changes on a few tables for total postfix ignorant
users, you shouldnt use it as a general config tool....

> -Tom

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--