Which header check & reject method to use?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Which header check & reject method to use?

robgane
Hi

I'm getting Postfix setup to deal with "bad headers".

Looks like there's a bunch of ways to do it.

Three I'm looking at are

1) Postfix's built in headers check
2) A milter that'll check for & reject headers
3) Amavisd's built in header handling

I can actually get all three to work pretty much the way I want.

Is there any reason to use one over the other if they're all doing it PreQueue?

Is it more efficient to use a separate milter than to use Postfix's built in stuff?

Rob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Which header check & reject method to use?

Noel Jones-2
On 7/24/2017 4:27 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm getting Postfix setup to deal with "bad headers".
>
> Looks like there's a bunch of ways to do it.
>
> Three I'm looking at are
>
> 1) Postfix's built in headers check
> 2) A milter that'll check for & reject headers
> 3) Amavisd's built in header handling
>
> I can actually get all three to work pretty much the way I want.
>
> Is there any reason to use one over the other if they're all doing it PreQueue?
>
> Is it more efficient to use a separate milter than to use Postfix's built in stuff?
>
> Rob
>

Use whichever you like.  For simple checks, the differences are
probably not significant.  For complex checks (eg. checking multiple
conditions or whitelisting certain messages) you'll need to use a
milter or amavisd.

If you're already using amavisd and a milter capable of inspecting
headers, there will probably be no noticeable difference in
performance regardless of which you use, so use whichever is easiest
for you to configure.


  -- Noel Jones
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Which header check & reject method to use?

robgane
Hi

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017, at 02:47 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
> Use whichever you like.  For simple checks, the differences are
> probably not significant.  For complex checks (eg. checking multiple
> conditions or whitelisting certain messages) you'll need to use a
> milter or amavisd.

Ok, I didn't catch the biz about multiple conditions! For me that means milter or amavisd.

I wasn't real sure if using a milter or amavisd was somehow 'later' and so not 'as good' as doing the checks with POstfix's builtin.

> If you're already using amavisd and a milter capable of inspecting
> headers, there will probably be no noticeable difference in
> performance regardless of which you use, so use whichever is easiest
> for you to configure.

If all other things then are pretty much equal, easy to config is best for me.  Amavisd makes my head hurt so I'm trying to KISS where I can.

For this one then I'll go with the milter!

TA!

Rob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Which header check & reject method to use?

/dev/rob0
In reply to this post by robgane
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 02:27:16PM -0700, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm getting Postfix setup to deal with "bad headers".
>
> Looks like there's a bunch of ways to do it.
>
> Three I'm looking at are
>
> 1) Postfix's built in headers check
> 2) A milter that'll check for & reject headers
> 3) Amavisd's built in header handling

It all depends on things we don't know:
        1) What's the actual end goal of this?
        2) What's easier for you?

Since you mention amavisd and milter (and also your email domain,
haha) I suppose your interest is in spam control/abatement.  If so,
start with postscreen, first:

http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html
http://rob0.nodns4.us/postscreen.html

> I can actually get all three to work pretty much the way I want.
>
> Is there any reason to use one over the other if they're all
> doing it PreQueue?
>
> Is it more efficient to use a separate milter than to use
> Postfix's built in stuff?

You're unlikely to come up with anything on your own which is a
better email content filter than SpamAssassin.  But there too,
content filtering is less safe and accurate than pre-DATA checks.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/
  Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:
Loading...