Wildcarding a Domain

Corey Chandler
Howdy.

I've been instructed to add a domain to Postfix, and wildcard it so that
*@domain.com goes to an address on our domain.  I've added the domain to
relay_domains, but where else do I want to do this-- generic or canonical?

Thanks in advance; a cursory examinination of the documentation didn't
make this quite clear.

--
Jay Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist
Today's Excuse: UBNC (user brain not connected)

Re: Wildcarding a Domain

mouss-2
Jay Chandler wrote:
> Howdy.
>
> I've been instructed to add a domain to Postfix, and wildcard it so
> that *@domain.com goes to an address on our domain.  I've added the
> domain to relay_domains, but where else do I want to do this-- generic
> or canonical?
> Thanks in advance; a cursory examinination of the documentation didn't
> make this quite clear.

if you want a "catchall", then use virtual_alias_maps.
@example.com      [hidden email]

I guess you already know that this catches spam more than any other thing.

Re: Wildcarding a Domain

Corey Chandler
mouss wrote:
> if you want a "catchall", then use virtual_alias_maps.
> @example.com      [hidden email]

Thanks!
> I guess you already know that this catches spam more than any other
> thing.

Oh, unquestionably-- but the boss wants it, and the business has chosen
to accept that.

mouss wrote:

> if you want a "catchall", then use virtual_alias_maps.
> @example.com      [hidden email]
>
> I guess you already know that this catches spam more than any other
> thing.

Hmm-- strange.

 From virtual_alias_maps:
@example.com      [hidden email]

I postmapped the file, but the only hit it returns via postmap -q is
"@example.com"; [hidden email] fails.

--
Jay Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist
Today's Excuse: UBNC (user brain not connected)

Re: Wildcarding a Domain

/dev/rob0
On Fri May 16 2008 17:43:19 Jay Chandler wrote:
> Hmm-- strange.

No.

>  From virtual_alias_maps:
> @example.com      [hidden email]
>
> I postmapped the file, but the only hit it returns via postmap -q
> is "@example.com"; [hidden email] fails.

This is expected behaviour of postmap(1). Remember, Postfix is doing
multiple lookups; see TABLE SEARCH ORDER in virtual(5). Your postmap
query returns positive for one of the virtual_alias_maps lookups.

> Today's Excuse: UBNC (user brain not connected)

So appropriate for this thread! :)