active queue entries and initial destination concurrency

active queue entries and initial destination concurrency

Alex Regan
Hi,

I'm trying to set up destination concurrency on our mail relay in an
attempt to throttle email to freemail domains like google and yahoo.
Mail is received to this server by two other postfix relays. Many
users choose to forward their mail off to a remote account on google
or O365 using a ~/.forward file.

I realize this causes problems with SPF and DKIM and forwarded mail,
which is another problem I'd like to solve.

postfix is saying I need to increase my
initial_destination_concurrency_limit but I'm unsure if I'm setting
this up correctly. I've followed the directions from here:
http://steam.io/2013/04/01/postfix-rate-limiting/

Jan  6 19:52:58 cipher postfix/qmgr[446331]: warning: mail for
gmail.com is using up 5540 of 5530 active queue entries
Jan  6 19:52:58 cipher postfix/qmgr[446331]: warning: you may need to
increase the main.cf turtle_destination_concurrency_limit from 1
Jan  6 19:52:58 cipher postfix/qmgr[446331]: warning: please avoid
flushing the whole queue when you have
Jan  6 19:52:58 cipher postfix/qmgr[446331]: warning: lots of deferred
mail, that is bad for performance
Jan  6 19:52:58 cipher postfix/qmgr[446331]: warning: to turn off
these warnings specify: qmgr_clog_warn_time = 0

transport_maps = regexp:/etc/postfix/transport_limit
# add a delay between each message to the same receiving domain
default_destination_rate_delay = 1s
# Limit the number of recipients of each message
default_extra_recipient_limit = 10

polite_initial_destination_concurrency = 1
# number of paralell deliveries
polite_destination_concurrency_limit = 3
# seconds between each set of messages
polite_destination_rate_delay = 0
# number of recipients
polite_destination_recipient_limit = 5

turtle_initial_destination_concurrency = 1
turtle_destination_concurrency_limit = 3
turtle_destination_rate_delay = 8s
turtle_destination_recipient_limit = 4

I have entries in my transport_limit file similar to this:
/aaahotelcompany\.com$/ turtle:

and have the following in master.cf
polite unix - - n - - smtp
        -o syslog_name=postfix-polite