Quantcast

backscatter

Guillaume Nadot

Hello,

In order to elliminate backscatter, I would like postfix to send non delivery reports only to my domains ( not to external domains like yahoo or google for example )

I know that a more efficient way to elliminate backscatter would be to check first if the destination mail adress exists, but because I just relay mails to external servers and don't have access to their user database, I am unable to do it.
am not able

Is there any way to do this ?

Thanks,

Guillaume Nadot.

Re: backscatter

/dev/rob0
On Mon April 28 2008 04:38:20 Guillaume Nadot wrote:
> In order to elliminate backscatter,

Thank you for your interest in stopping abuse (at least, in stopping
YOUR abuse, which is all anyone can ask of you.)

> I would like postfix to send non
> delivery reports only to my domains ( not to external domains like
> yahoo or google for example )
>
> I know that a more efficient way to elliminate backscatter would be
> to check first if the destination mail adress exists, but because I
> just relay mails to external servers and don't have access to their
> user database, I am unable to do it.

Do any of these external servers do their own recipient validation in
SMTP? If so, see ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#recipient and use
reject_unverified_recipient in place of recipient lists. Keep those
customers. Drop all the others.

> Is there any way to do this ?

Kludges, but sooner or later (depending on volume and userbase) you
will cost a legitimate sender a bounce when an address was mistyped.

Please stop making excuses. "Unable to validate recipient addresses"
means "unable to provide MX service." Period. Yours is a flawed and
thoroughly discredited method of handling mail. Get out of the spam
business NOW, or expect to be treated like a spammer.

Re: backscatter

Guillaume Nadot:

> Hello,
>
> In order to elliminate backscatter, I would like postfix to send non
> delivery reports only to my domains ( not to external domains like yahoo
> or google for example )

Do not accept mail for non-existent recipients.

        Wietse