bad From: field

privat-2
After moving to a new host running Ubuntu 10.10 I get in outgoing mails
sent from account "privat" a From:-field

        From: privat <[hidden email]>

it used  to be before

        From: [hidden email]

In sender_canonical I have
privat@localhost        [hidden email]

and in generic
[hidden email]           [hidden email]

hostname gives honolulu
domainname gives (none)

so how can I get rid of the "privat" in the From: field?

Slightly related: how do I find the version of my postfix-installation?

Thanks for any help,

       -ulrich lauther
        -lauther

Re: bad From: field

Simon Brereton-2
On 10 November 2011 07:21, privat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After moving to a new host running Ubuntu 10.10 I get in outgoing mails
> sent from account "privat" a From:-field
>
>        From: privat <[hidden email]>
>
> it used  to be before
>
>        From: [hidden email]
>
> In sender_canonical I have
> privat@localhost        [hidden email]
>
> and in generic
> [hidden email]           [hidden email]
>
> hostname gives honolulu
> domainname gives (none)
>
> so how can I get rid of the "privat" in the From: field?

This is usually set by your MUA.  Evolution?  Thunderbird?

> Slightly related: how do I find the version of my postfix-installation?
>
> Thanks for any help,

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu+10.10+find+postfix+version

Or dpkg -l packagename as you would for any package on Ubuntu.

Simon

Re: bad From: field

privat:
> After moving to a new host running Ubuntu 10.10 I get in outgoing mails
> sent from account "privat" a From:-field
>
>         From: privat <[hidden email]>
>
> it used  to be before
>
>         From: [hidden email]

That information is provided by the mail submission client.
Postfix does not rewrite the "human name" field.

Re: bad From: field

privat-2
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 09:58:54AM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

> privat:
> > After moving to a new host running Ubuntu 10.10 I get in outgoing mails
> > sent from account "privat" a From:-field
> >
> >         From: privat <[hidden email]>
> >
> > it used  to be before
> >
> >         From: [hidden email]
>
> That information is provided by the mail submission client.
> Postfix does not rewrite the "human name" field.

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought the mail submission client is sendmail,
which is cloned by postfix.

However this may be, has anybody an idea how I can influence the "human
name" field?

BTW, for composing and sending mail, I use mutt.

Kind regards,

     -ulrich

Re: bad From: field

Ralf Hildebrandt
* privat <[hidden email]>:

> BTW, for composing and sending mail, I use mutt.

in muttrc:
my_hdr From: Ralf Hildebrandt <[hidden email]>

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
  Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
  [hidden email] | http://www.charite.de

Re: bad From: field

privat-2
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:21:17PM +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * privat <[hidden email]>:
>
> > BTW, for composing and sending mail, I use mutt.
>
> in muttrc:
> my_hdr From: Ralf Hildebrandt <[hidden email]>

Thanks a lot, that did it.

        -ulrich

Re: bad From: field

Jeroen Geilman
On 2011-11-10 13:21, privat wrote:
> After moving to a new host running Ubuntu 10.10 I get in outgoing mails
> sent from account "privat" a From:-field
>
>          From: privat<[hidden email]>
>
> it used  to be before
>
>          From: [hidden email]

These are headers; postfix does not "fix" them unless you explicitly
tell it to.

The only way postfix will add a From: header /different from the
envelope sender/ is when you submit mail via sendmail(1) that does not
have one - and even then it is not the postfix smtp daemon that does
this, strictly speaking; it is independent sendmail(1) functionality
that works even when postfix is not running.

> In sender_canonical I have
> privat@localhost        [hidden email]
>
> and in generic
> [hidden email]           [hidden email]

Postfix will apply one of the above, not both, to unqualified sender
addresses (since one of the above will match unqualified sender
addresses; it is hard to see how any sender could match both.)

> hostname gives honolulu
> domainname gives (none)

You should probably fix that, then.
Proper domain awareness is not a trivial afterthought in SMTP - it is in
fact a core property intended to be able to identify mail systems and
-hosts in SMTP conversations and log files.

I can, for example, tell that you haven't set this up properly by the
simple fact that you have dual sender mappings - if you (and more
relevantly, postfix) knew what was what, you would not need this.

(Granted, there are conceivable situations where you might want
different outgoing sender mappings than global address mappings, but
those are not likely to be among your objectives right now.)

> so how can I get rid of the "privat" in the From: field?
>
> Slightly related: how do I find the version of my postfix-installation?

     # postconf mail_version

J.

Re: bad From: field

/dev/rob0
On Thursday 10 November 2011 15:21:17 Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * privat <[hidden email]>:
> > BTW, for composing and sending mail, I use mutt.
>
> in muttrc:
> my_hdr From: Ralf Hildebrandt <[hidden email]>

I tried this, but now my mail says I am you! Please help!!

;)

Re: bad From: field

Ralf Hildebrandt
* /dev/rob0 <[hidden email]>:
> On Thursday 10 November 2011 15:21:17 Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> > * privat <[hidden email]>:
> > > BTW, for composing and sending mail, I use mutt.
> >
> > in muttrc:
> > my_hdr From: Ralf Hildebrandt <[hidden email]>
>
> I tried this, but now my mail says I am you! Please help!!

Little story: When I first started with mutt I used Sven Guckes's (of
vim fame) .muttrc and FORGOT to adapt my_hdr :|