bounce notify class

Dominic Raferd
I want to turn off the the bounce error class to reduce clutter in my postmaster mailbox, but don't want to miss something important.

The bounce error class is defined (http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#notify_classes) as: 'Send the postmaster copies of the headers of bounced mail, and send transcripts of SMTP sessions when Postfix rejects mail.'

I understand the second of these (and receive many of them, which I don't want) but not the first (and don't seem to receive any).

What are 'copies of the headers of bounced mail' - would this be mail that has been bounced by Postfix (not interesting to me) or mail bounced by an onward mailserver (interesting to me - but maybe this is covered by the 2bounce error class)?

Re: bounce notify class

Alex JOST-2
Am 07.11.2017 um 14:54 schrieb Dominic Raferd:

> I want to turn off the the bounce error class to reduce clutter in my
> postmaster mailbox, but don't want to miss something important.
>
> The bounce error class is defined (
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#notify_classes) as: 'Send the
> postmaster copies of the headers of bounced mail, and send transcripts of
> SMTP sessions when Postfix rejects mail.'
>
> I understand the second of these (and receive many of them, which I don't
> want) but not the first (and don't seem to receive any).
>
> What are 'copies of the headers of bounced mail' - would this be mail that
> has been bounced by Postfix (not interesting to me) or mail bounced by an
> onward mailserver (interesting to me - but maybe this is covered by the
> 2bounce error class)?

No, only bounces of outgoing mails. For us that's mainly bounces because
of misspelled e-mail addresses (connection timeout and mailbox unavailable).

Alex JOST

Re: bounce notify class

Dominic Raferd

On 8 November 2017 at 08:34, Alex JOST <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

​Thanks Alex. With that info I have worked out (using a subtle difference in the 'from' address in my configuration) which error messages are due to '2bounce' error class and which ones are from other classes (most likely 'bounce').

IMO it would be helpful if Postfix added a header to any mail triggered by an error identifying what error class(es) triggered it, or would this break some RFC?

Re: bounce notify class

Dominic Raferd

On 12 November 2017 at 10:57, Postmaster <[hidden email]> wrote:
You should neither ignore your Postfix bounces (called Local/synchronous bounces) nor generated by other providers (called Remote/ Asynchronous bounces). Both should be processed correctly and not be retried if its related to mailbox/user does not exist. It is one of the important factor that affects your email deliverability and IPs/ Domains reputation.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Dominic Raferd <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

​I am deluged with messages in the postmaster mailbox reporting failed smtpd transactions for spammers trying to send to non-existent recipients on our domain​, which postfix quite rightly rejects (i.e. not listed in virtual_alias_maps). These are smtpd transaction reports not bounces, but they are sent automatically to $bounce_notice_recipient as part of the bounce error class. This is 'by design'; however I don't want to see these (why would I? and the info is in the log anyway), while I do want to see other messages generated as part of the bounce error class, since these can be significant. It is surprising to me that there is no way of turning off one without turning off the other. (My workaround is a script that automatically marks the transaction reports as 'read'.)

Re: bounce notify class

Wietse Venema
Dominic Raferd:
> ?I am deluged with messages in the postmaster mailbox reporting failed
> smtpd transactions for spammers trying to send to non-existent recipients
> on our domain?, which postfix quite rightly rejects (i.e. not listed in
> virtual_alias_maps). These are smtpd transaction reports not bounces, but
> they are sent automatically to $bounce_notice_recipient as part of the
> bounce error class. This is 'by design';

Incorrect. By default, Postfix does not send postaster notification
for rejected mail.

The default setting is:

notify_classes = resource, software

You have added 'bounce' to that list. It you don't want such email,
then don't set notify_classes to send such email.

Re: bounce notify class

Dominic Raferd

On 13 November 2017 at 01:09, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dominic Raferd:
> ?I am deluged with messages in the postmaster mailbox reporting failed
> smtpd transactions for spammers trying to send to non-existent recipients
> on our domain?, which postfix quite rightly rejects (i.e. not listed in
> virtual_alias_maps). These are smtpd transaction reports not bounces, but
> they are sent automatically to $bounce_notice_recipient as part of the
> bounce error class. This is 'by design';

Incorrect. By default, Postfix does not send postaster notification
for rejected mail.

The default setting is:

notify_classes = resource, software

You have added 'bounce' to that list. It you don't want such email,
then don't set notify_classes to send such email.

Thanks Wietse, that takes me back to my first post in this thread: 'I want to turn off the the bounce error class to reduce clutter in my postmaster mailbox, but don't want to miss something important.' I now infer from its default setting that there is nothing important generated by the bounce error class.

Re: bounce notify class

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 13.11.17 08:12, Dominic Raferd wrote:
>Thanks Wietse, that takes me back to my first post in this thread: 'I want
>to turn off the the bounce error class to reduce clutter in my postmaster
>mailbox, but don't want to miss something important.' I now infer from its
>default setting that there is nothing important generated by the bounce
>error class.

agreed. The 2bounce may be what you consider important - messages from your
clients sent to non-existent addresses, from non-existent addresses (your
clients spamming or misconfigured addresses)

at the start you can get deluged by those too, but it's much easier to stop.

My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.