breaking multiple recipients into multiple messages

breaking multiple recipients into multiple messages

David Koski
Our CommuniGate server batches mail going out to Yahoo and at times
accumulates enough to exceed the limit of 5 messages per SMTP connection that
Yahoo has and the connection is dropped.  I would like to now if relaying
through Postfix can resolve this problem.

Yahoo info "Are there any guidelines for establishing SMTP connections to
Yahoo! Mail?":

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/postmaster-277515.html

Regards,
David Koski

Re: breaking multiple recipients into multiple messages

Victor Duchovni
On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:09:56PM -0700, David Koski wrote:

> Our CommuniGate server batches mail going out to Yahoo and at times
> accumulates enough to exceed the limit of 5 messages per SMTP connection that
> Yahoo has and the connection is dropped.  I would like to now if relaying
> through Postfix can resolve this problem.

You can disable connection caching, globally or for specific sites. Or you
can let the connection be dropped and make a new one. Nothing wrong with
a dropped connection from time to time... Postfix will try the next MX
host. Postfix does not have a numerical connection re-use limit. Rather,
the limit is a time-limit, because this exhibits (much) better behaviour
when delivering to a mixture of fast and slow servers.

Re: breaking multiple recipients into multiple messages

David Koski
Hello Viktor,

On Friday 03 October 2008 21:37, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:09:56PM -0700, David Koski wrote:
> > Our CommuniGate server batches mail going out to Yahoo and at times
> > accumulates enough to exceed the limit of 5 messages per SMTP connection
> > that Yahoo has and the connection is dropped.  I would like to now if
> > relaying through Postfix can resolve this problem.
>
> You can disable connection caching, globally or for specific sites. Or you
> can let the connection be dropped and make a new one. Nothing wrong with
> a dropped connection from time to time... Postfix will try the next MX
> host. Postfix does not have a numerical connection re-use limit. Rather,
> the limit is a time-limit, because this exhibits (much) better behaviour
> when delivering to a mixture of fast and slow servers.

Thank your.  I'll give that a try.

Regards,
David

Re: breaking multiple recipients into multiple messages

Victor Duchovni:

> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:09:56PM -0700, David Koski wrote:
>
> > Our CommuniGate server batches mail going out to Yahoo and at times
> > accumulates enough to exceed the limit of 5 messages per SMTP connection that
> > Yahoo has and the connection is dropped.  I would like to now if relaying
> > through Postfix can resolve this problem.
>
> You can disable connection caching, globally or for specific sites. Or you
> can let the connection be dropped and make a new one. Nothing wrong with
> a dropped connection from time to time... Postfix will try the next MX
> host. Postfix does not have a numerical connection re-use limit. Rather,
> the limit is a time-limit, because this exhibits (much) better behaviour
> when delivering to a mixture of fast and slow servers.

With Postfix 2.2 and later you could do:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    smtp_connection_cache_destinations = !yahoo.com, static:all

However, this is not needed. When Yahoo drops a connection, Postfix
will just try the next MX host immediately.

On Saturday 04 October 2008 05:52, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Victor Duchovni:
> > On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:09:56PM -0700, David Koski wrote:
> > > Our CommuniGate server batches mail going out to Yahoo and at times
> > > accumulates enough to exceed the limit of 5 messages per SMTP
> > > connection that Yahoo has and the connection is dropped.  I would like
> > > to now if relaying through Postfix can resolve this problem.
> >
> > You can disable connection caching, globally or for specific sites. Or
> > you can let the connection be dropped and make a new one. Nothing wrong
> > with a dropped connection from time to time... Postfix will try the next
> > MX host. Postfix does not have a numerical connection re-use limit.
> > Rather, the limit is a time-limit, because this exhibits (much) better
> > behaviour when delivering to a mixture of fast and slow servers.
>
> With Postfix 2.2 and later you could do:
>
> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>     smtp_connection_cache_destinations = !yahoo.com, static:all
>
> However, this is not needed. When Yahoo drops a connection, Postfix
> will just try the next MX host immediately.
>
> Wietse

Now to figure out how to make CGP relay one domain.  But that is another list.

Thanks!
David