clamsmtp or clamav-milter for antivirus with postfix 2.9?

clamsmtp or clamav-milter for antivirus with postfix 2.9?

David Mehler
Hello,

This might be off topic, but I was wondering I am using Postfix 2.9.x
and am wanting to integrate antivirus capabilities. What are the
differences between clamsmtp and clamav-milter? I'm wondering which
one would be better for an antivirus setup?

Thanks.
Dave.

Re: clamsmtp or clamav-milter for antivirus with postfix 2.9?

Scott Kitterman-4
On Friday, October 12, 2012 12:38:28 PM David Mehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This might be off topic, but I was wondering I am using Postfix 2.9.x
> and am wanting to integrate antivirus capabilities. What are the
> differences between clamsmtp and clamav-milter? I'm wondering which
> one would be better for an antivirus setup?

In situations where I was only doing anti-virus and not anti-spam, I've used
clamsmtp for years with no issues.  It hasn't had a release in awhile, but
only because it does what it was designed to do and the author decided not to
try to make it into a swiss army knife.  I know in Debian/Ubuntu clamav-milter
doesn't have a lot of users and does not get heavily tested.  I don't know
generally though and have never used it.

In situation where you are doing both A/V and A/S, then I would integrate
clamav with postfix using amavisd-new.

Scott K

Re: clamsmtp or clamav-milter for antivirus with postfix 2.9?

Noel Jones-2
On 10/12/2012 11:47 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Friday, October 12, 2012 12:38:28 PM David Mehler wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This might be off topic, but I was wondering I am using Postfix 2.9.x
>> and am wanting to integrate antivirus capabilities. What are the
>> differences between clamsmtp and clamav-milter? I'm wondering which
>> one would be better for an antivirus setup?
>
> In situations where I was only doing anti-virus and not anti-spam, I've used
> clamsmtp for years with no issues.  It hasn't had a release in awhile, but
> only because it does what it was designed to do and the author decided not to
> try to make it into a swiss army knife.  I know in Debian/Ubuntu clamav-milter
> doesn't have a lot of users and does not get heavily tested.  I don't know
> generally though and have never used it.
>
> In situation where you are doing both A/V and A/S, then I would integrate
> clamav with postfix using amavisd-new.
>
> Scott K

+1 for clamav + amavisd-new (which uses clamdscan internally).  You
can also use amavisd-new as a smtpd_proxy_filter with postfix if you
want before-queue scanning.

If you don't want or need amavisd-new, clamav-milter works well with
postfix; I've used it for a couple years.

Re: clamsmtp or clamav-milter for antivirus with postfix 2.9?

Robert Schetterer
Am 12.10.2012 18:47, schrieb Scott Kitterman:

> On Friday, October 12, 2012 12:38:28 PM David Mehler wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This might be off topic, but I was wondering I am using Postfix 2.9.x
>> and am wanting to integrate antivirus capabilities. What are the
>> differences between clamsmtp and clamav-milter? I'm wondering which
>> one would be better for an antivirus setup?
>
> In situations where I was only doing anti-virus and not anti-spam, I've used
> clamsmtp for years with no issues.  It hasn't had a release in awhile, but
> only because it does what it was designed to do and the author decided not to
> try to make it into a swiss army knife.  I know in Debian/Ubuntu clamav-milter
> doesn't have a lot of users and does not get heavily tested.  I don't know
> generally though and have never used it.

i use clamav-milter with 5000 users since years no problems
before i used clamsmtp no problems

milter is before-queue, so youre able to reject infected mails in the
smtp income stage ( very cool )

http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html

clamsmtp ist after-queue
like ie typical amavis filter, so you allready have the infected mail in
queue, and have to do something with it ( quarantaine etc ), in germany
its not allowed to i.e delete i.e infected mails which are allready
queued, so at minimum you have to inform the recipient
that he got an infected mail, bouncing to sender is no good option after
queue cause it may be faked

so for low traffic sites clamav-milter is an easy an good option
you can also sanesecurity antispam siganature additional so you have
basic antispam and antivir, clamav-milter is also fast enough scanning
sasl_authed mail by your users outgoing,
i als have combined it with spamass-milter ( but only for unauth income
mail )

for more complex wishes use amavis

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

Re: clamsmtp or clamav-milter for antivirus with postfix 2.9?

DTNX Postmaster
On Oct 12, 2012, at 19:04, Noel Jones wrote:

> On 10/12/2012 11:47 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> On Friday, October 12, 2012 12:38:28 PM David Mehler wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This might be off topic, but I was wondering I am using Postfix 2.9.x
>>> and am wanting to integrate antivirus capabilities. What are the
>>> differences between clamsmtp and clamav-milter? I'm wondering which
>>> one would be better for an antivirus setup?
>>
>> In situations where I was only doing anti-virus and not anti-spam, I've used
>> clamsmtp for years with no issues.  It hasn't had a release in awhile, but
>> only because it does what it was designed to do and the author decided not to
>> try to make it into a swiss army knife.  I know in Debian/Ubuntu clamav-milter
>> doesn't have a lot of users and does not get heavily tested.  I don't know
>> generally though and have never used it.
>>
>> In situation where you are doing both A/V and A/S, then I would integrate
>> clamav with postfix using amavisd-new.
>>
>> Scott K
>>

> +1 for clamav + amavisd-new (which uses clamdscan internally).  You
> can also use amavisd-new as a smtpd_proxy_filter with postfix if you
> want before-queue scanning.
>
> If you don't want or need amavisd-new, clamav-milter works well with
> postfix; I've used it for a couple years.

We use clamav-milter on our relay servers (which run Debian) without
any issues. There was some bug last year, IIRC, where clamd would bug
out and needed a restart, but that would be detected by the milter, and
it'd switch to passthru. Has since been resolved, it seems.

Cya,
Jona