Quantcast

cloud9 rejecting my mail

Doug Barton
When trying to sign up for the list from my regular e-mail address (served by my Postfix mail server, on a vhost at Arp Networks) I got the following:

<[hidden email]>: host mail.cloud9.net[2604:8d00:0:1::4] said: 554 5.7.1
    <dougbarton.us>: Helo command rejected: Access denied (in reply to RCPT TO
    command)

That's very odd, as for several years I've never had mail rejected before. I have rDNS for my IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, SPF, DKIM, DMARC, etc. (All working) I can send to big providers like Google and Yahoo! with no issues as well.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to why cloud9.net is shutting me down?  If there is a problem I'm happy to fix it.  :)

Doug

Re: cloud9 rejecting my mail

Wietse Venema
Doug:

> When trying to sign up for the list from my regular e-mail address
> (served by my Postfix mail server, on a vhost at Arp Networks) I
> got the following:
>
> <[hidden email]>: host mail.cloud9.net[2604:8d00:0:1::4]
> said: 554 5.7.1
>     <dougbarton.us>: Helo command rejected: Access denied (in reply
>     to RCPT TO command)
>
> That's very odd, as for several years I've never had mail rejected
> before. I have rDNS for my IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, SPF, DKIM,
> DMARC, etc. (All working) I can send to big providers like Google
> and Yahoo! with no issues as well.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction as to why cloud9.net
> is shutting me down?  If there is a problem I'm happy to fix it.
> :)

Maybe the old-fashioned way - ask postmaster@

Re: cloud9 rejecting my mail

Doug Barton
Yes, the simple ways are usually best. :)

My first message on this topic did CC the postmaster, but it got bounced from the list because it had the subsc**** word in it. Still waiting on a response.

Doug

 Subject: Re: cloud9 rejecting my mail
 To: "Postfix users" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Thursday, March 16, 2017, 11:37 AM

 Doug:

 <[hidden email]>:
 host mail.cloud9.net[2604:8d00:0:1::4]

 said: 554 5.7.1

    <dougbarton.us>: Helo command rejected:
 Access denied (in reply

    to RCPT TO command)

 > That's very odd, as for several years
 I've never had mail rejected

 before. I have rDNS for my IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, SPF,
 DKIM,
 > DMARC, etc. (All working) I can
 send to big providers like Google
 > and
 Yahoo! with no issues as well.

 > Can anyone point me in the right direction
 as to why cloud9.net
 > is shutting me
 down?  If there is a problem I'm happy to fix
 it.
 > :)

 Maybe the old-fashioned way - ask
 postmaster@

Re: cloud9 rejecting my mail

> On Mar 16, 2017, at 2:37 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> When trying to sign up for the list from my regular e-mail address
>> (served by my Postfix mail server, on a vhost at Arp Networks) I
>> got the following:
>>
>> <[hidden email]>: host mail.cloud9.net[2604:8d00:0:1::4]
>> said: 554 5.7.1 <dougbarton.us>: Helo command rejected: Access denied

Note the use of IPv6 here.  Many large providers have chosen to set the
bar higher for IPv6 than IPv4.  In particular:

  * PTR records are generally mandatory
  * SPF and/or DKIM records are often mandatory

sadly, while CSA records would have been much more appropriate here,

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-crocker-csv-csa-00

that idea went nowhere, in the rush to "solve phishing", which of
course did not happen with SPF/DKIM/...

Anyway, it is quite possible that the problem is that Doug's server
has IPv6 connectivity, and he either needs to jump through more hoops...
or disable IPv6 in Postfix:

        inet_protocols = ipv4.

Re: cloud9 rejecting my mail

Doug Barton
Viktor,

As you'll see from my original message, I have all of the prerequisites.

The problem persists ...

Also, FWIW, I'm not alone with this issue. Another user contacted me privately to say that he's having the same problem.

Doug

 To: "Postfix users" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Thursday, March 16, 2017, 12:11 PM