configuration of mailman with postfix

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

configuration of mailman with postfix

Eric Smith-10
Hi

I have the following versions mailman 1:2.1.14-3 on postfix 2.9.1-5 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

My installation is for lists on virtual domains
NOT foobar.fruitcom.com
but complete virtual domains, in  this example
foobar.com

When I configure with the following instructions such as this one:
http://free-electrons.com/blog/mailman-howto-ubuntu-10-04/

Postfix reports a warning:
warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: mailman_destination_recipient_limit=1

Mails sent to one of the list [hidden email] give the following error:
<"|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post committee"@fruitcom.com>
(expanded from
    <[hidden email]>): unknown user: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post committee"

Is there a suggestion to address this particular issue which I
think is the expansion to `committee"@fruitcom.com' ,
alternatively, are there other complete configure instructions that might work?

Thanks.

--
Best regards,
Eric Smith
Mobile: 00 31 6 455 09313 - Tel Wageningen: +31 317 728888
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: configuration of mailman with postfix

Robert Schetterer
Am 25.07.2012 14:30, schrieb Eric Smith:

> Hi
>
> I have the following versions mailman 1:2.1.14-3 on postfix 2.9.1-5 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>
> My installation is for lists on virtual domains
> NOT foobar.fruitcom.com
> but complete virtual domains, in  this example
> foobar.com
>
> When I configure with the following instructions such as this one:
> http://free-electrons.com/blog/mailman-howto-ubuntu-10-04/
>
> Postfix reports a warning:
> warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: mailman_destination_recipient_limit=1
>
> Mails sent to one of the list [hidden email] give the following error:
> <"|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post committee"@fruitcom.com>
> (expanded from
>     <[hidden email]>): unknown user: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post committee"
>
> Is there a suggestion to address this particular issue which I
> think is the expansion to `committee"@fruitcom.com' ,
> alternatively, are there other complete configure instructions that might work?
>
> Thanks.
>
looks to me ,like you miss mailman in the transport table


look

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman

---snip
Associate the domain lists.example.com to the mailman transport with the
transport map. Edit the file /etc/postfix/transport:

lists.example.com      mailman:
---snipend

then mailman_destination_recipient_limit=1 should work unless there
arent any more failures


http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_destination_recipient_limit

-snip
transport_destination_recipient_limit (default:
$default_destination_recipient_limit)

    A transport-specific override for the
default_destination_recipient_limit parameter value, where transport is
the master.cf name of the message delivery transport.

    Note: some transport_destination_recipient_limit parameters will not
show up in "postconf" command output before Postfix version 2.9. This
limitation applies to many parameters whose name is a combination of a
master.cf service name and a built-in suffix (in this case:
"_destination_recipient_limit").
--snipend

--
Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: configuration of mailman with postfix

Scott Kitterman-4
On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 02:36:40 PM Robert Schetterer wrote:

> Am 25.07.2012 14:30, schrieb Eric Smith:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have the following versions mailman 1:2.1.14-3 on postfix 2.9.1-5 and
> > Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> >
> > My installation is for lists on virtual domains
> > NOT foobar.fruitcom.com
> > but complete virtual domains, in  this example
> > foobar.com
> >
> > When I configure with the following instructions such as this one:
> > http://free-electrons.com/blog/mailman-howto-ubuntu-10-04/
> >
> > Postfix reports a warning:
> > warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter:
> > mailman_destination_recipient_limit=1
> >
> > Mails sent to one of the list [hidden email] give the following
> > error: <"|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post committee"@fruitcom.com>
> > (expanded from
> >
> >     <[hidden email]>): unknown user: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
> >     post committee">
> > Is there a suggestion to address this particular issue which I
> > think is the expansion to `committee"@fruitcom.com' ,
> > alternatively, are there other complete configure instructions that might
> > work?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> looks to me ,like you miss mailman in the transport table
>
>
> look
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman
>
> ---snip
> Associate the domain lists.example.com to the mailman transport with the
> transport map. Edit the file /etc/postfix/transport:
>
> lists.example.com      mailman:
> ---snipend
>
> then mailman_destination_recipient_limit=1 should work unless there
> arent any more failures
>
>
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_destination_recipient_limit
>
> -snip
> transport_destination_recipient_limit (default:
> $default_destination_recipient_limit)
>
>     A transport-specific override for the
> default_destination_recipient_limit parameter value, where transport is
> the master.cf name of the message delivery transport.
>
>     Note: some transport_destination_recipient_limit parameters will not
> show up in "postconf" command output before Postfix version 2.9. This
> limitation applies to many parameters whose name is a combination of a
> master.cf service name and a built-in suffix (in this case:
> "_destination_recipient_limit").
> --snipend

Additionally, I would strongly recommend re-enabling the precise-updates
pocket and installing the updated packages.  I know you've disabled them
because you didn't report having postfix 2.9.3.  Not directly related to this
issue, but you'll be happier with it in the long run.

Scott K
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: configuration of mailman with postfix

Eric Smith-10
In reply to this post by Robert Schetterer
Thanks Robert (Scott)

I have upgraded, checked and followed the Ubuntu docs.
transport in master.cf corrected (I had a typo that gave the
error with the user expansion), now it is like this;

[root@pepper ~] $ grep -A1 mailman  /etc/postfix/master.cf
mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
 flags=FR user=list argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
 ${nexthop} ${user}

$ mutt [hidden email] -stest</dev/null;sleep 2;\
sudo sh -c "find /var/log/ -mmin -1; grep fresher  /var/log/mail.log|tail -1"
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/mail.log
/var/log/auth.log
Jul 25 20:45:53 localhost postfix/local[10429]: 70E4329020F: \
to=<|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post [hidden email]>, \
orig_to=<[hidden email]>, relay=local, delay=0.17, \
delays=0.11/0/0/0.06, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user: \
"|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post fresher")

FWIW:
[eric@pepper ~] $ echo $HOSTNAME
pepper.fruitcom.com

(Tooth enamel wearing a bit thin)

Any ideas where I could look?

--
Eric Smith

Robert Schetterer wrote on Wed-25-Jul 12  2:36PM

> Am 25.07.2012 14:30, schrieb Eric Smith:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have the following versions mailman 1:2.1.14-3 on postfix 2.9.1-5 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> >
> > My installation is for lists on virtual domains
> > NOT foobar.fruitcom.com
> > but complete virtual domains, in  this example
> > foobar.com
> >
> > When I configure with the following instructions such as this one:
> > http://free-electrons.com/blog/mailman-howto-ubuntu-10-04/
> >
> > Postfix reports a warning:
> > warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: mailman_destination_recipient_limit=1
> >
> > Mails sent to one of the list [hidden email] give the following error:
> > <"|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post committee"@fruitcom.com>
> > (expanded from
> >     <[hidden email]>): unknown user: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post committee"
> >
> > Is there a suggestion to address this particular issue which I
> > think is the expansion to `committee"@fruitcom.com' ,
> > alternatively, are there other complete configure instructions that might work?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> looks to me ,like you miss mailman in the transport table
>
>
> look
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman
>
> ---snip
> Associate the domain lists.example.com to the mailman transport with the
> transport map. Edit the file /etc/postfix/transport:
>
> lists.example.com      mailman:
> ---snipend
>
> then mailman_destination_recipient_limit=1 should work unless there
> arent any more failures
>
>
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_destination_recipient_limit
>
> -snip
> transport_destination_recipient_limit (default:
> $default_destination_recipient_limit)
>
>     A transport-specific override for the
> default_destination_recipient_limit parameter value, where transport is
> the master.cf name of the message delivery transport.
>
>     Note: some transport_destination_recipient_limit parameters will not
> show up in "postconf" command output before Postfix version 2.9. This
> limitation applies to many parameters whose name is a combination of a
> master.cf service name and a built-in suffix (in this case:
> "_destination_recipient_limit").
> --snipend
>
> --
> Best Regards
> MfG Robert Schetterer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: configuration of mailman with postfix

Scott Kitterman-4
On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 08:55:52 PM Eric Smith wrote:

> Thanks Robert (Scott)
>
> I have upgraded, checked and followed the Ubuntu docs.
> transport in master.cf corrected (I had a typo that gave the
> error with the user expansion), now it is like this;
>
> [root@pepper ~] $ grep -A1 mailman  /etc/postfix/master.cf
> mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>  flags=FR user=list argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
>  ${nexthop} ${user}
>
> $ mutt [hidden email] -stest</dev/null;sleep 2;\
> sudo sh -c "find /var/log/ -mmin -1; grep fresher  /var/log/mail.log|tail
> -1" /var/log/syslog
> /var/log/mail.log
> /var/log/auth.log
> Jul 25 20:45:53 localhost postfix/local[10429]: 70E4329020F: \
> to=<|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post [hidden email]>, \
> orig_to=<[hidden email]>, relay=local, delay=0.17, \
> delays=0.11/0/0/0.06, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user: \
> "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post fresher")
>
> FWIW:
> [eric@pepper ~] $ echo $HOSTNAME
> pepper.fruitcom.com
>
> (Tooth enamel wearing a bit thin)
>
> Any ideas where I could look?

I've never used mailman, so I don't know for sure about this, but I note
you're using "user=list" in the flags for the mailman service, but I see
"/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post fresher" in the logs.  Is fresher a valid
address in your domain?

Scott K
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: configuration of mailman with postfix

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by Eric Smith-10
Eric Smith:
> to=<|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post [hidden email]>, \

Sorry, with Postfix, "|command" is never a valid email address.
That was a security hole before many people on this list were born.

Destinations such as "|command"  are allowed ONLY in alias_maps
(NOT: virtual_alias_maps) and in $HOME/.forward files.

        Wietse