deal with google mailboxes

Wesley Peng-2
Hello,

As a mailing list server, how does postfix deal with google's mailbox
formats?

for exmaple, all mailboxes below are indeed the same one:

Can list server know them and treat them as just one?

Thanks.

Re: deal with google mailboxes

Wietse Venema
Wesley Peng:

> Hello,
>
> As a mailing list server, how does postfix deal with google's mailbox
> formats?
>
> for exmaple, all mailboxes below are indeed the same one:

> Can list server know them and treat them as just one?

Email RFCs say that the address localpart semantics are defined by
the receiver, therefore Postfix does not assume that the following
addresses resolve to the same mailbox:

Postfix also does not assume that the following domains are equivalent.
gmail.com
googlemail.com
To signal domain equivalence, the receiver should use CNAME records
or some other explicit mechanism.

on 2019/9/4 19:08, Wietse Venema wrote:
> To signal domain equivalence, the receiver should use CNAME records
> or some other explicit mechanism.

from what I know, MX host should not be CNAME records in DNS zone.

regards.

Re: deal with google mailboxes

> On Sep 4, 2019, at 6:11 AM, Wesley Peng <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can list server know them and treat them as just one?

Perhaps, but Postfix is not a list manager.   Postfix
just delivers email to the addresses in the message
envelope.  If some list servers restrict posts to
subscribers, any logic to treat addresses as equivalent
would be in the list server, not Postfix, which just
delivers the message to the list server.

Re: deal with google mailboxes

Wesley Peng-2
viktor,

on 2019/9/4 20:09, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> Perhaps, but Postfix is not a list manager.   Postfix
> just delivers email to the addresses in the message
> envelope.  If some list servers restrict posts to
> subscribers, any logic to treat addresses as equivalent
> would be in the list server, not Postfix, which just
> delivers the message to the list server.

That's easy to understand. thank you.

Re: deal with google mailboxes

Peter Ajamian
On 5/09/19 12:12 AM, Wesley Peng wrote:
>> Perhaps, but Postfix is not a list manager.   Postfix
>> just delivers email to the addresses in the message
>> envelope.  If some list servers restrict posts to
>> subscribers, any logic to treat addresses as equivalent
>> would be in the list server, not Postfix, which just
>> delivers the message to the list server.
>
> That's easy to understand. thank you.

Keep in mind that there is no reason, or need for a MLM to try to see
those addresses as equivalent, nor should it.  It's up to the user to
use the same address, or variant of address to post to the list that
they used to sign up with.  Google may see multiple variants as
equivalent but that does not mean that other servers need do the same.

Peter

Re: deal with google mailboxes

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 04.09.19 19:23, Wesley Peng wrote:
>from what I know, MX host should not be CNAME records in DNS zone.

No, but you can use name in your e-mail address that is has CNAME record in
DNS, e.g. "gmail.example. CNAME gmail.com."

Spam is for losers who can't get business any other way.