defer when command timeout exceed?

John Baker-5
Hi,

We use procmail locally for delivery and occasionally mail bounces with
Command time limit exceeded: "/usr/bin/procmail". The issue is that
procmail can't deliver while dovecot has a lock on the box. This only
comes up as a problem when users over a very slow dial up connection
take a ridiculous amount of time to get their mail via pop3.

I'm reluctant to increase the procamail timeout because the system is
under a heavy load and delivery over a 32k connection really can be way
to slow.

So I'm trying to figure out if I can get Postfix to defer mail and try
again later in this instance instead of bouncing. Is that possible or
would anyone have a suggestion for a solution with a similar result?

Thanks
--
John Baker
Network Systems Administrator
Phone: 451-7551 off campus; 551 on campus

Re: defer when command timeout exceed?

mouss-2
John Baker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use procmail locally for delivery and occasionally mail bounces with
> Command time limit exceeded: "/usr/bin/procmail". The issue is that
> procmail can't deliver while dovecot has a lock on the box. This only
> comes up as a problem when users over a very slow dial up connection
> take a ridiculous amount of time to get their mail via pop3.

consider using maildir instead of the borked mbox.

> I'm reluctant to increase the procamail timeout because the system is
> under a heavy load and delivery over a 32k connection really can be way
> to slow.
>
> So I'm trying to figure out if I can get Postfix to defer mail and try
> again later in this instance instead of bouncing. Is that possible or
> would anyone have a suggestion for a solution with a similar result?

if posfix gets a temporary error, it will defer. if it gets a fatal
error, it will bounce.

Re: defer when command timeout exceed?

John Baker:
> Hi,
>
> We use procmail locally for delivery and occasionally mail bounces with
> Command time limit exceeded: "/usr/bin/procmail". The issue is that
> procmail can't deliver while dovecot has a lock on the box. This only
> comes up as a problem when users over a very slow dial up connection
> take a ridiculous amount of time to get their mail via pop3.

If you really must insist on using procmail, try using maildir
style mailboxes.  These don't require locking.

Do these users really need procmail? Lots of UNIX systems don't
use procmail at all.

Otherwise, perhaps procmail has a configurable option to give up
and terminate with an appropriate status. If not, that would be a
procmail shortcoming.

If maildir style mailboxes are not possible, and you really have
to use procmail, then an extended command time limit would be the
only option that I can offer you.

Re: defer when command timeout exceed?

Nicolas KOWALSKI-3
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:50:58PM -0400, John Baker wrote:
> So I'm trying to figure out if I can get Postfix to defer mail and try
> again later in this instance instead of bouncing. Is that possible or
> would anyone have a suggestion for a solution with a similar result?

procmail has the '-t' option:

procmail(1):

-t Make procmail fail softly, i.e., if procmail cannot deliver the mail
   to any of the destinations you gave, the mail will not bounce, but
   will return to the mailqueue. Another delivery-attempt will be made
   at some time in the future.

Maybe it could help?

--
Nicolas