difference between setting up an alias in virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailbox_maps?

difference between setting up an alias in virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailbox_maps?

Andrew Wood
What is the difference between setting up an alias in virtual_alias_maps
and virtual_mailbox_maps?

I can make alias@domain point to a mailbox by pairing it with the path
to the maildir in virtual_mailbox_maps but it seems if I do that the
alias can only point to one mailbox not multiple.

e.g

user@domain     /path/to/user@domain/

alias@domain    /path/to/user@domain/

this works OK but if I was to do

user1@domain     /path/to/user1@domain/

user2@domain     /path/to/user2@domain/

alias@domain    /path/to/user1@domain/

alias@domain    /path/to/user2@domain/

this doesnt work. Posfix logs that it has deleivered a message to
alias@domain successfully but the message never arrives in either box
nor does it bounce back.

I can also add an entry in virtual_alias_maps, does this have the
ability to point to multiple mailboxes and should I be using this for
all rather than doing it in virtual_mailbox_maps?

Regards

Andrew

Re: difference between setting up an alias in virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailbox_maps?

Yassine Chaouche
On 3/27/19 11:19 AM, Andrew Wood wrote:

> What is the difference between setting up an alias in
> virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailbox_maps?
>
> I can make alias@domain point to a mailbox by pairing it with the path
> to the maildir in virtual_mailbox_maps but it seems if I do that the
> alias can only point to one mailbox not multiple.
>
> e.g
>
> user@domain     /path/to/user@domain/
>
> alias@domain    /path/to/user@domain/
>
> this works OK but if I was to do
>
> user1@domain     /path/to/user1@domain/
>
> user2@domain     /path/to/user2@domain/
>
> alias@domain    /path/to/user1@domain/
>
> alias@domain    /path/to/user2@domain/
>

> this doesnt work.

Hello Andrew,

I use commas to separate multiple recipients of one alias, like this :

alias@domain \t user1@domain, user2@domain, user3@domain

I think virutal_mailbox_maps and virtual_alias_maps shouldn't be
compared, they're different configurations.

virtual_mailbox_maps will tell postfix if a mailbox is valid or not,
this can be a query in your database with the e-mail of the user. If the
query returns a result then the user exists and postfix is happy,
otherwise postfix will bounce the e-mail to the sender saying the user
doesn't exist.   virtual_alias_maps will tell postfix what aliases are
defined (what you want), so that for example abuse@domain is redirected
to both john and mary.

Yassine.

Re: difference between setting up an alias in virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailbox_maps?

Andrew Wood
Thanks Yassine thats very helpful. Im going to modify the config to do
it all with virtual_alias_maps