disable receiving for particular email

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

disable receiving for particular email

Poliman - Serwis
Hi all. I would like to create "do not reply" email account. The simpliest way is create an email account and disable receiving. Which option in Postfix permit disable receiving for particular email?

--
Pozdrawiam / Best Regards
Piotr Bracha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Titanus Eramius
Fri, 20 Oct 2017 08:00:35 +0200 skrev Poliman - Serwis <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all. I would like to create "do not reply" email account. The simpliest
> way is create an email account and disable receiving. Which option in
> Postfix permit disable receiving for particular email?
>

Why not use a non-existent address that Postfix reject?

Personally I would think it's bad service for the recivers, but YMMW.

Best
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Ralph Seichter
In reply to this post by Poliman - Serwis
On 20.10.2017 08:00, Poliman - Serwis wrote:

> I would like to create "do not reply" email account.

If by that you mean throwing away incoming email silently instead of
generating rejection errors, a polite way to do it is using recipient
restrictions.

  smtpd_recipient_restrictions = ... check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_access ...

  # pcre:/etc/postfix/recipient_access
  /^(?:devnull|noreply)\@domain\.tld$/ DISCARD

Make sure you accept incoming mail for these special addresses, and the
DISCARD action will take care of the rest.

-Ralph
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
In reply to this post by Poliman - Serwis
On 20.10.17 08:00, Poliman - Serwis wrote:
>Hi all. I would like to create "do not reply" email account. The simpliest
>way is create an email account and disable receiving. Which option in
>Postfix permit disable receiving for particular email?

you can disable receiving mail for such account using
check_recipient_access

note that:
1. anyone doing address verification will block the address
2. systems that block senders who mail nonexistent addresses will block you
    you won't find out you mail nonexistent addresses after mail leaves your
    server, since you reject bounces to that addresses
3. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent address will
    block the address manually
4. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent address may block
    you manually.

I recommend using real, existent address and check its content once upon a
time. You don't want to get blocked (see points 2. and 4.)
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [hidden email] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
Spam is for losers who can't get business any other way.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

/dev/rob0
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:12:17AM +0200,
   Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 20.10.17 08:00, Poliman - Serwis wrote:
> > Hi all. I would like to create "do not reply" email account. The
> > simpliest way is create an email account and disable receiving.

As was suggested upthread, the simplest way is NOT to create the
account.

> > Which option in Postfix permit disable receiving for particular
> > email?
>
> you can disable receiving mail for such account using
> check_recipient_access

Some references of interest:
    http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html
    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#check_recipient_access
    http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html

> note that:
> 1. anyone doing address verification will block the address
> 2. systems that block senders who mail nonexistent addresses will block you
>    you won't find out you mail nonexistent addresses after mail leaves your
>    server, since you reject bounces to that addresses
> 3. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent address will
>    block the address manually
> 4. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent address may block
>    you manually.
>
> I recommend using real, existent address and check its content once
> upon a time. You don't want to get blocked (see points 2. and 4.)

Absolutely.  This is better than the DISCARD suggestion.  I find that
people who ask for "do not reply" addresses usually don't understand
what they are asking for, nor what they will get when they have it.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/
  Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Poliman - Serwis
Do you have maybe other better options? I am open for all nice suggestions. :)

2017-10-20 14:43 GMT+02:00 /dev/rob0 <[hidden email]>:
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:12:17AM +0200,
   Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 20.10.17 08:00, Poliman - Serwis wrote:
> > Hi all. I would like to create "do not reply" email account. The
> > simpliest way is create an email account and disable receiving.

As was suggested upthread, the simplest way is NOT to create the
account.

> > Which option in Postfix permit disable receiving for particular
> > email?
>
> you can disable receiving mail for such account using
> check_recipient_access

Some references of interest:
    http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html
    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#check_recipient_access
    http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html

> note that:
> 1. anyone doing address verification will block the address
> 2. systems that block senders who mail nonexistent addresses will block you
>    you won't find out you mail nonexistent addresses after mail leaves your
>    server, since you reject bounces to that addresses
> 3. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent address will
>    block the address manually
> 4. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent address may block
>    you manually.
>
> I recommend using real, existent address and check its content once
> upon a time. You don't want to get blocked (see points 2. and 4.)

Absolutely.  This is better than the DISCARD suggestion.  I find that
people who ask for "do not reply" addresses usually don't understand
what they are asking for, nor what they will get when they have it.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/
  Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:



--
Pozdrawiam / Best Regards
Piotr Bracha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Richard-2
What are you really trying to accomplish? What is the problem you are
trying to solve?



------------ Original Message ------------

> Date: Friday, October 20, 2017 15:29:02 +0200
> From: Poliman - Serwis <[hidden email]>
> To: Postfix users <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: disable receiving for particular email
>
> Do you have maybe other better options? I am open for all nice
> suggestions. :)
>
> 2017-10-20 14:43 GMT+02:00 /dev/rob0 <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:12:17AM +0200,
>>    Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> > On 20.10.17 08:00, Poliman - Serwis wrote:
>> > > Hi all. I would like to create "do not reply" email account.
>> > > The simpliest way is create an email account and disable
>> > > receiving.
>>
>> As was suggested upthread, the simplest way is NOT to create the
>> account.
>>
>> > > Which option in Postfix permit disable receiving for particular
>> > > email?
>> >
>> > you can disable receiving mail for such account using
>> > check_recipient_access
>>
>> Some references of interest:
>>     http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html
>>     http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#check_recipient_access
>>     http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html
>>
>> > note that:
>> > 1. anyone doing address verification will block the address
>> > 2. systems that block senders who mail nonexistent addresses
>> > will block
>> you
>> >    you won't find out you mail nonexistent addresses after mail
>> >    leaves
>> your
>> >    server, since you reject bounces to that addresses
>> > 3. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent
>> > address will block the address manually
>> > 4. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent
>> > address may
>> block
>> >    you manually.
>> >
>> > I recommend using real, existent address and check its content
>> > once upon a time. You don't want to get blocked (see points 2.
>> > and 4.)
>>
>> Absolutely.  This is better than the DISCARD suggestion.  I find
>> that people who ask for "do not reply" addresses usually don't
>> understand what they are asking for, nor what they will get when
>> they have it. --
>>   http://rob0.nodns4.us/
>>   Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:

------------ End Original Message ------------


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
In reply to this post by Poliman - Serwis
>> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:12:17AM +0200,
>>    Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> > I recommend using real, existent address and check its content once
>> > upon a time. You don't want to get blocked (see points 2. and 4.)

>2017-10-20 14:43 GMT+02:00 /dev/rob0 <[hidden email]>:
>> Absolutely.  This is better than the DISCARD suggestion.  I find that
>> people who ask for "do not reply" addresses usually don't understand
>> what they are asking for, nor what they will get when they have it.

On 20.10.17 15:29, Poliman - Serwis wrote:
>Do you have maybe other better options? I am open for all nice suggestions.

this one is the best option. Unless you want to face results below

>> > note that:
>> > 1. anyone doing address verification will block the address
>> > 2. systems that block senders who mail nonexistent addresses will block you
>> >    you won't find out you mail nonexistent addresses after mail leaves your
>> >    server, since you reject bounces to that addresses
>> > 3. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent address will
>> >    block the address manually
>> > 4. anyone getting angry for sending mail from nonexistent address may block
>> >    you manually.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [hidden email] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

/dev/rob0
In reply to this post by Poliman - Serwis
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 03:29:02PM +0200, Poliman - Serwis wrote:
> Do you have maybe other better options? I am open for all nice
> suggestions. :)

I already said what I think is best, so no.  But maybe we don't fully
know why you're wanting the "no reply" address?

> 2017-10-20 14:43 GMT+02:00 /dev/rob0 <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:12:17AM +0200,
> >    Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > > I recommend using real, existent address and check its content
> > > once upon a time. You don't want to get blocked (see points 2.
> > > and 4.)
> >
> > Absolutely.  This is better than the DISCARD suggestion.  I find
> > that people who ask for "do not reply" addresses usually don't
> > understand what they are asking for, nor what they will get when
> > they have it.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/
  Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Ralph Seichter
In reply to this post by /dev/rob0
On 20.10.2017 14:43, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:12:17AM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>
> > I recommend using real, existent address and check its content once
> > upon a time. You don't want to get blocked (see points 2. and 4.)
>
> Absolutely. This is better than the DISCARD suggestion. I find that
> people who ask for "do not reply" addresses usually don't understand
> what they are asking for, nor what they will get when they have it.

Depending on the use case, discarding email can be as valid a method as
rejecting email. Messages sent by automation- or monitoring-services
(Jenkins, Icinga) come to mind. If somebody chooses to reply to these
machine-generated notifications, I expect him to manually select a human
recipient, or the reply will be silently ignored.

-Ralph
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Michael Orlitzky-2
On 10/20/2017 09:57 AM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
>
> Depending on the use case, discarding email can be as valid a method as
> rejecting email. Messages sent by automation- or monitoring-services
> (Jenkins, Icinga) come to mind. If somebody chooses to reply to these
> machine-generated notifications, I expect him to manually select a human
> recipient, or the reply will be silently ignored.
>

You don't want to send Nagios alerts to someone who keeps replying "YOU
HAVE THE WRONG PHONE NUMBER."

You don't want to send Jenkins reports to an email address that has been
dead since Dave quit five years ago.

If one of your coworkers who apparently has something important to
communicate hits "reply" on a build failure, I'm not sure how silently
ignoring him is better than responding with "I think you meant to send
this to the Jenkins admin."

tl;dr use a real address
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Ralph Seichter
On 20.10.2017 17:37, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> [...]
> tl;dr use a real address

The reply address is "real", just not monitored. The people I work with
who receive this type of message are smart enough to contact a human, so
I can in good conscience use [hidden email] as a generic sender
address and not bother with matching that address to whatever person may
or may not be responsible a month from now. If you choose a different
policy, then so be it, but stating that a sinkhole address is always a
bad thing to have is factually incorrect.

-Ralph
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Bill Cole-3
In reply to this post by Michael Orlitzky-2
On 20 Oct 2017, at 11:37 (-0400), Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> tl;dr use a real address

That's the bottom line best practice for all use cases. ALL.

If you can't think of a process to handle the asynchronous bounces and
the intentional replies by innocent fools, you should not be sending the
email. Make the SMTP envelope sender an address that works so that you
know (or automatically deal with) the inevitable cases when a target
address goes bad. Add a Reply-To header with a role address that a real
human or one of a group of humans will read at least daily, to handle
the clueless human issues.

This isn't really hard, unless you're trying to escape responsibility
for the mail you send. That's actually very hard, because if people want
it to stop, they'll find ways to keep it out and maybe impair your
general ability to send to others.

--
Bill Cole
[hidden email] or [hidden email]
(AKA @grumpybozo and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)
Currently Seeking Paying Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Poliman - Serwis
Ok, I make a mistake, because I didn't say about for what will be use "do not reply". So - I work in IT company. Developers make different applications and these applications send mainly confirmation emails, also reminder password emails. These emails should only be send and receiver could not answer this email with success. That's all. I use ISP config with postfix.

2017-10-20 18:04 GMT+02:00 Bill Cole <[hidden email]>:
On 20 Oct 2017, at 11:37 (-0400), Michael Orlitzky wrote:

tl;dr use a real address

That's the bottom line best practice for all use cases. ALL.

If you can't think of a process to handle the asynchronous bounces and the intentional replies by innocent fools, you should not be sending the email. Make the SMTP envelope sender an address that works so that you know (or automatically deal with) the inevitable cases when a target address goes bad. Add a Reply-To header with a role address that a real human or one of a group of humans will read at least daily, to handle the clueless human issues.

This isn't really hard, unless you're trying to escape responsibility for the mail you send. That's actually very hard, because if people want it to stop, they'll find ways to keep it out and maybe impair your general ability to send to others.

--
Bill Cole
[hidden email] or [hidden email]
(AKA @grumpybozo and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)
Currently Seeking Paying Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole



--
Pozdrawiam / Best Regards
Piotr Bracha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Viktor Dukhovni


> On Oct 23, 2017, at 12:27 AM, Poliman - Serwis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ok, I make a mistake, because I didn't say about for what will be use "do not reply". So - I work in IT company. Developers make different applications and these applications send mainly confirmation emails, also reminder password emails. These emails should only be send and receiver could not answer this email with success. That's all. I use ISP config with postfix.

You need to take the time to understand the distinctions between:

1. The message envelope sender
2. The RFC2822 "From:" message header
3. The RFC2822 "Reply-To:" message header

The email address used in (1) MUST be valid, and your system
must accept email back to this address.  You can choose to
discard it, but for auto-generated traffic it is really best
practice, and important for ongoing deliverability to implement
a proper automated bounce processor for replies to this address.
It is should use VERP or similar to make it maximally likely
that you can identity the target recipient that elicited the
bounce.

The email address used in "2", gives the recipient some sense
of who the message is from.  This can be a mailbox that
rejects all replies, but is better to use:

        From: "Example Corp password reset robot (please do not reply)" <[hidden email]>
        Reply-To: "Example Corp no reply mailbox" <[hidden email]>

So that most replies bounce, but some folks can choose to manually
override reply-to and send mail to "[hidden email]".

The email address in (3) can be a non-deliverable address that is always
rejected.

--
        Viktor.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
>> On Oct 23, 2017, at 12:27 AM, Poliman - Serwis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I make a mistake, because I didn't say about for what will be use "do not reply". So - I work in IT company. Developers make different applications and these applications send mainly confirmation emails, also reminder password emails. These emails should only be send and receiver could not answer this email with success. That's all. I use ISP config with postfix.

On 23.10.17 01:51, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>You need to take the time to understand the distinctions between:
>
>1. The message envelope sender
>2. The RFC2822 "From:" message header
>3. The RFC2822 "Reply-To:" message header
>
>The email address used in (1) MUST be valid, and your system
>must accept email back to this address.

actually, the address can be null: <> and bounces must not go to that
address.  The downside is that some systems/spam filters may reject it.

> You can choose to
>discard it, but for auto-generated traffic it is really best
>practice, and important for ongoing deliverability to implement
>a proper automated bounce processor for replies to this address.
>It is should use VERP or similar to make it maximally likely
>that you can identity the target recipient that elicited the
>bounce.
>
>The email address used in "2", gives the recipient some sense
>of who the message is from.  This can be a mailbox that
>rejects all replies, but is better to use:
>
> From: "Example Corp password reset robot (please do not reply)" <[hidden email]>
> Reply-To: "Example Corp no reply mailbox" <[hidden email]>
>
>So that most replies bounce, but some folks can choose to manually
>override reply-to and send mail to "[hidden email]".

I am not sure if some autoreplies won't use From: addresses even if this
case. but I am sure most OOO responders will send the mail to one of those
addreses even if the "1" address is null.

However one canusualy add headers as "Precedence: bulk", and
"Auto-Submitted: auto-generated" to avoid these cases as much as possible.

>The email address in (3) can be a non-deliverable address that is always
>rejected.

but I still would not recommend that...

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [hidden email] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
Posli tento mail 100 svojim znamim - nech vidia aky si idiot
Send this email to 100 your friends - let them see what an idiot you are
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Poliman - Serwis
Thank you for a lot of answers. Could you tell me how would you resolve the problem? I am not much experienced in mailer daemons. Which is the best option in my case - developed application send confirmation emails on which receiver shouldn't answer.

2017-10-23 9:41 GMT+02:00 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <[hidden email]>:
On Oct 23, 2017, at 12:27 AM, Poliman - Serwis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok, I make a mistake, because I didn't say about for what will be use "do not reply". So - I work in IT company. Developers make different applications and these applications send mainly confirmation emails, also reminder password emails. These emails should only be send and receiver could not answer this email with success. That's all. I use ISP config with postfix.

On 23.10.17 01:51, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
You need to take the time to understand the distinctions between:

1. The message envelope sender
2. The RFC2822 "From:" message header
3. The RFC2822 "Reply-To:" message header

The email address used in (1) MUST be valid, and your system
must accept email back to this address.

actually, the address can be null: <> and bounces must not go to that
address.  The downside is that some systems/spam filters may reject it.

You can choose to
discard it, but for auto-generated traffic it is really best
practice, and important for ongoing deliverability to implement
a proper automated bounce processor for replies to this address.
It is should use VERP or similar to make it maximally likely
that you can identity the target recipient that elicited the
bounce.

The email address used in "2", gives the recipient some sense
of who the message is from.  This can be a mailbox that
rejects all replies, but is better to use:

        From: "Example Corp password reset robot (please do not reply)" <[hidden email]>
        Reply-To: "Example Corp no reply mailbox" <[hidden email]>

So that most replies bounce, but some folks can choose to manually
override reply-to and send mail to "[hidden email]".

I am not sure if some autoreplies won't use From: addresses even if this
case. but I am sure most OOO responders will send the mail to one of those
addreses even if the "1" address is null.

However one canusualy add headers as "Precedence: bulk", and
"Auto-Submitted: auto-generated" to avoid these cases as much as possible.

The email address in (3) can be a non-deliverable address that is always
rejected.

but I still would not recommend that...

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [hidden email] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
Posli tento mail 100 svojim znamim - nech vidia aky si idiot
Send this email to 100 your friends - let them see what an idiot you are



--
Pozdrawiam / Best Regards
Piotr Bracha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 23.10.17 15:35, Poliman - Serwis wrote:
>Thank you for a lot of answers. Could you tell me how would you resolve the
>problem?

we already told you how would we resolve it.
we gave you a better solutions to choose from, but the choice is up to you.
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [hidden email] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disable receiving for particular email

Poliman - Serwis
Ok, if all solutions are even to each other I will choose one.

2017-10-27 16:08 GMT+02:00 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <[hidden email]>:
On 23.10.17 15:35, Poliman - Serwis wrote:
Thank you for a lot of answers. Could you tell me how would you resolve the
problem?

we already told you how would we resolve it.
we gave you a better solutions to choose from, but the choice is up to you.
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [hidden email] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]



--
Pozdrawiam / Best Regards
Piotr Bracha