domain email autoconfiguration

David Mehler
Hello,

If anyone has autoconfiguration going with their email domain please
email me privately. I'd like to ask you some questions about your
setup. What do you use?

Thanks.
Dave.

Re: domain email autoconfiguration

Wietse Venema
David Mehler:
> Hello,
>
> If anyone has autoconfiguration going with their email domain please
> email me privately. I'd like to ask you some questions about your
> setup. What do you use?

Perhaps you can explain what you mean.
Automatic configuration of Postfix to send mail through an ISP?
Automatic configuration of clients to send mail through Postfix?

Re: domain email autoconfiguration

J Doe
Hi David,

> On Mar 31, 2018, at 8:52 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David Mehler:
>> Hello,
>>
>> If anyone has autoconfiguration going with their email domain please
>> email me privately. I'd like to ask you some questions about your
>> setup. What do you use?
>
> Perhaps you can explain what you mean.
> Automatic configuration of Postfix to send mail through an ISP?
> Automatic configuration of clients to send mail through Postfix?
>
> Wietse

Are you perhaps referring to auto configuration of a client’s MUA (like how
on Apple iOS devices you enter the e-mail address and password and
then Apple Mail discovers submission, IMAP, etc. settings and so forth) ?

The RFC that covers that is RFC 6186 - “Use of SRV Records for Locating
E-mail Submission/Access Services”.

This is done in DNS and is not Postfix-specific.

If I recall correctly, one restriction is that the SMTP AUTH account name
that is used must be the same as the e-mail address - so if you have AUTH
account names that differ from the e-mail address, this is an issue.

Regards,

- J

Re: domain email autoconfiguration

Ralph Seichter
On 01.04.2018 02:39, David Mehler wrote:

> If anyone has autoconfiguration going with their email domain please
> email me privately.

Please see http://geoserver.org/comm/userlist-guidelines.html section
"Start discussions on the mailing list, keep it on the mailing list".
That's not a GeoServer specific issue, but common sense.

I am guessing you would like to provide autoconfig for MUAs? If so,
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Autoconfiguration would be a
possible starting point.

-Ralph

Re: domain email autoconfiguration

David Mehler

What I'm wanting to do is configure clients to get their account
information automatically. I know this for Mozilla is called
autoconfig and for Microsoft it's autodiscover, and apparently there's
an srv record I just read about.

If anyone has any of these three going with their postfix servers i'd
appreciate knowing it.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 3/31/18, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David Mehler:
>> Hello,
>>
>> If anyone has autoconfiguration going with their email domain please
>> email me privately. I'd like to ask you some questions about your
>> setup. What do you use?
>
> Perhaps you can explain what you mean.
> Automatic configuration of Postfix to send mail through an ISP?
> Automatic configuration of clients to send mail through Postfix?
>
> Wietse

Re: domain email autoconfiguration

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Apr 3, 2018, at 8:08 PM, David Mehler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What I'm wanting to do is configure clients to get their account
> information automatically. I know this for Mozilla is called
> autoconfig and for Microsoft it's autodiscover, and apparently there's
> an srv record I just read about.

The relevant specification is RFC6186:

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6186

perhaps some MUAs support it.  Without DNSSEC such auto-configuration
leaves important security decisions to the user (or just configures
insecurely), and since DNSSEC is often not done on end-user devices
even when the domain is signed, this technique carries some risk, but
once supported by the MUA, you're no safer if you don't use it, modulo
"training" users to accept insecurely obtained configuration options.

Re: domain email autoconfiguration

David Mehler
Hello Victor,

Do you use autoconfig/autodiscover?

Thanks.
Dave.

On 4/3/18, Viktor Dukhovni <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Apr 3, 2018, at 8:08 PM, David Mehler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What I'm wanting to do is configure clients to get their account
>> information automatically. I know this for Mozilla is called
>> autoconfig and for Microsoft it's autodiscover, and apparently there's
>> an srv record I just read about.
>
> The relevant specification is RFC6186:
>
>    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6186
>
> perhaps some MUAs support it.  Without DNSSEC such auto-configuration
> leaves important security decisions to the user (or just configures
> insecurely), and since DNSSEC is often not done on end-user devices
> even when the domain is signed, this technique carries some risk, but
> once supported by the MUA, you're no safer if you don't use it, modulo
> "training" users to accept insecurely obtained configuration options.
>
> --
> Viktor.

Re: domain email autoconfiguration

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 2:06 AM, David Mehler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you use autoconfig/autodiscover?

My users configure their MUAs statically.  I am familiar with RFC6186 by way of
looking at its security model when working on DANE-related RFCs.

Re: domain email autoconfiguration

Alex JOST-2

https://automx.org/en/

--